Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Goldfish questions

Posted by steiconi 12b-Big Island, Hawa (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 19, 12 at 12:38

I have three 8-inch "common" goldfish in my pond. Two seem to hang out together, and the other day I found them down inside a pot which had lost its plant, so there was just kitty litter.

Is it likely they were spawning? Temperatures are still in the 70s here during the day, so cold isn't much of a factor.

I'd like to repot the plant (it's a water lily that floated off), but not if it will harm possible future fish babies.

I noticed that my red swordtails paired up boy-girl (and now there are tiny red fish). I guess I always thought fish were more spur of the moment when selecting mates.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Goldfish questions

Hi
GF like most of the carp family are egg scatterers the eggs are adhesive and stick to plants.. spawning occurs over a large area .
Swordtails on the other hand produce live young as fertilization occurs internally. Both species provide no parental care so they're not limited to a particular area.
Wouldn't worry about repottiing as even if there are eggs in the pot they're also in other loctaions.
Both will produce a LOT more offspring than a pond can handle lol gary

o
RE: Goldfish questions

• Posted by steiconi 12b-Big Island, Hawa (My Page) on
    Fri, Nov 23, 12 at 15:32

cool, thank you so much! And the water lily thanks you, too!
Maybe the goldfish just need a giant aquarium castle to hide in.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here