Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Success! Rotting matted mess pulled out and divided

Posted by Oscarmatic USDA:10 Sunset:23 (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 7, 13 at 14:30

It was a couple weeks of stinky, muddy work, but finally the massive tangle of plants in pond 5 are out! I'm planning to put as many as I can right back where they came from, but with strong healthy root systems that the water will flow *through*. Phew!

Here's what we started with:

Follow-Up Postings:

o
Ready for replanting

Here are the plants in a holding spot until I can learn and decide what best to do with them. I'm experimenting with planting in 3/4 gravel in mesh baskets.

o
Replanting in 3/4 rock

The first taro I divided out from the clump I tried potting up as an experiment into a submerged mesh basket filled with 3/4 rock. The three leaves withered, curled, and turned brown - so I thought I had killed the plant. But, lo! A new hope:

o
And here's what doesn't go back in the pond

This jumbo wheelbarrow just barely holds everything that got cut away. I hope it will eventually become lovely compost for the border plantings. Everything contributes in its own way!

o
RE: Success! Rotting matted mess pulled out and divided

I am dreading spring as I have to remove some of mine too. I wish I could just spray it with roundup. ha ha. Good job on getting yours cleaned up.

o
RE: Success! Rotting matted mess pulled out and divided

Water plants are so aggressive! I repotted several this Fall and it was a real pain. I have a sunken 300 gallon Rubbermaid stocktank lotus bog and it didn't blossom at all this year. So in the spring, I need to start pulling and pulling and pulling. I'm not looking forward to it. I fear there isn't any soil left.........just all roots. Dang!

o
No soil left

Catherinet, that taro photo above with the new leaf sprouting is a plant set only in 3/4 rock - no soil! Maybe if it's just roots, you're only saving a step? ;-)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here