Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
old_house_j_i_m

White Eye on my DEAD baby koi

old_house_j_i_m
13 years ago

ok, Im worried, now, Winter is officially coming to KY this weekend and I just found one of the new baby koi from this summer (only about 4 months old) dead in the pond with ONE WHITE EYE. It kind of freaked me out since I had a goldfish that I treated for about 3 weeks that had one cloudy eye (in addition to other symptoms that treatment with Malachite Green cleared up)

Any thoughts on what this could be - I hear that salt may be a good treatment over winter, and have been planning on adding it, but havent yet.

Is there a point at which its too cold to treat for diseases ?

Comments (6)

• nkm56
    13 years ago

A lot would depend on when the baby koi died. Did it have the white eye when it died, or could a fungus have possibly started growing there after it died? If the growth started after the koi died, there may not be any need to treat the pond. Have you noticed any problems with your fish after the goldfish problem cleared up?

Many people swear by salt, but others have stated that salt has been overused, much like antibiotics in humans, to the point where it is not as effective as it once was. It would not harm the fish to use salt, but I don't know its effectiveness against fungus. If you do use it, you may need to remove any plants, since most plants will not tolerate high levels of salt.

Sorry I culdn't be more help, but I'm hoping others will see this thread and help you out.

• old_house_j_i_m
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Nancy - the fish must have had the white eye before it died- those little guys spend 99% of their time at or near the bottom and are so hard to see (some are still only about 1 inch long and blackish gold)

the goldfish taht we treated never did clear up its eye - it got less cloudy, but still wasnt that bright clear the other eye is.

i think ill try some stress coat treatment - i avoid full pond treatments since the pond s about 8000 gal and it costs hundreds of $$ each time.

today its sleeting and about 35 degrees out - ill wait till tomorrow ... HA

• sdavis
    13 years ago

An isolation tub or aquarium indoors might be useful to watch small fish in the winter months. It will make a big difference to survival rates

When temperatures swing from Summer to Winter, it's not unusual for small fish to be unable to cope with that change, to go down with some illness that they become vulnerable to

At 50-60f there is a phase where koi immunity system is weak at a time when bacteria levels are still high...

• old_house_j_i_m
    Original Author
    13 years ago

thanks, i am leaving them in the pond since its so huge and will be near impossible to collect all of them - I also guess that since they were not planned, and since the pond is about 5 feet deep, whoever survives will be that much stronger (trying to take a let nature take its course approach to this one

Ill treat with a systemic booster kind of treatments, though - one of those stress coat kinda things - mostly so I feel better about it - i cant give up another nights sleep worrying ...

• sdavis
    13 years ago

No, you don't want to fret about a few tiddlers in such a lavish size pond. Some tiddlers just don't 'harden' to cold temperatures, those that can are, obviously, keepers...

Healthy fish are quite safe in deep, still water which has steady 40ðf temperatures, with the stability of temperature inversion

• old_house_j_i_m
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks sdavis - thats the approach i am trying to have, but it still bugs me to think some will not survive. Really, we had sucha crappy summer and lost so many fish (a bullfrog moved in for a few weeks and you know she ate all the prettiest and most expensive koi) so Im just trying to cut my losses. No more bought fish this coming spring/summer. Ill nurture what nature gave us.