Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
When it got cold we started getting a string algae.

Posted by albert_135 Sunset 2 or 3 (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 26, 13 at 15:06

When water temperatures dropped to near 40 F we started to see string algae. Whatever strain it is was not there all summer and is now thriving. Curious.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: When it got cold we started getting a string algae.

That is curious though I guess there can be a cold weather strain if string algae.

o

We have algae that not only survives - it seems to thrive in the cold weather. I'm grateful for it as I assume it's doing the same thing that algae does in the warner weather - consuming any nutrients in the water, helping to keep the pond ecology balanced.

o

Hey guys, I have had the similar problem years past. Remember algae is at the bottom of the food chain. All year your plants have been eating up the nutrients in the water. Well now, with plants being dormant, algae takes over.
I know there is allot of hype on Iongen. However since I added, I've had no problems. Granted I take it out for the winter, but it seems to clear the water. I've heard bad things about hooking it directly up to your flow line. I personally like just hanging it in the skimmer box.
For those with smaller ponds, not to worry. I've noticed Lisak believes in keeping a pond naturally balanced. It will help your pond ecological system. The only thing is you may have a little more clean up in the spring with a pea green pond.

Craig

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here