Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pachhu

Need Advice

Pachhu
9 years ago

Started to build a garden pond. The place is around 300' away from the house hence using pump for cleaning the pond is not a possibility. Are there any other methods of pond cleaning.

Would like to keep aquatic plants like lily, lotus and other flowering ones. Also some fishes.

Planning around 10' X 15' in plan 1 to 3' deep. Attached photo shows the general features around. The right side area in the photo is for hugelkultur . I am using the excavated soil for that.

Please comment if pump is absolutely required. The pond is in our cottage hence we visit during weekends.

Earlier I was thinking to use this space for rainwater drainage. Now I am planning a small bog for rainwater collection and the backside will be pond.

Thanks,

Comments (9)

• fireweed22
    9 years ago

I'm not a pond professional but do have a larger pond without pump. It may not be crystal clear, but you could go with a very small number of fish, and plant it well and should be fine.
    Predators find fish, and a pond in the bush away from a weekend cabin.... Aren't likely to last. That said, a very small number of fish in a decent sized pond with vegetation don't really need feeding, either. My fish (much bigger pond) haven't been fed in6-7 years and they are breeding and doing amazing, don't expect that in your size pond.

• zzackey
    9 years ago

If you put some kind of large flat rock overhanging your pond for fish to hide you might be able to have some fish. We had koi and catfish to keep the pond clean. Our pond was about 12 feet deep in the middle.

• Pachhu
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks fireweed22 and zackey for the advice. What sort of fishes can I keep apart from koi, catfish and goldfish?

The pond size will be bigger than in the photo. At present it is 6' X 10'. I would like to make it 10' X 15' and 3' deep. Do you think the fishes will do ok? I am in zone 8A.

If I go for a PVC liner since it is cheap, will it last for say 10 years?

Thanks,

• lmjk1221
    9 years ago

If you're not planning any filtration/aeration, I would stick with goldfish. They will thrive in a natural pond. And you can find them in many different colors/patterns. Some even mimic the look of koi.

A PVC liner should last AT LEAST 10 years - I've seen some ponds that are going on 20 plus years with the original liner.

• sandyl
    9 years ago

Do Deere frequent the area? A pond with a liner that far away could be damaged with Deere wading into the ponds edge.

• Pachhu
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I have not seen Deer in my property so far. That way I don't think there will be any known predators?

I can also put a plastic fencing all around. I am just waiting for the groundwater to lower before I start digging further.

• sissy77
    9 years ago

not sure where you live but winter freeze could be a problem for plants and fish .Fish will die if there is no opening in the ice .Predators like raccoons and stuff will get fish and in the summer mosquito's could be a big problem .If there is snow and ice build up on the pond something walking over it could get injured and ruin your liner .Plastic fencing will not hold up for long with a snow load or critters destroying it

• Pachhu
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I live in Pacific Northwest. The winters are mild here. Very rarely the lake water freezes. Since it is in our cottage I am not too much worried about mosquitoes etc.

I am going to watch for an year or so to see if predators are an issue here.

Thanks for the advice.

• Debbie Downer
    9 years ago

No koi. They commonly grow to3 feet or more, require minimum 4 ft depth and 1000 + gals per fish, rip up and eat your plants and produce a lot of waste which almost certainly would require filtration. ... unless you had something more like a small lake instead of a pond.

In theory ponds can reach an equilibrium with the right amt of plants/fish waste - since you dont have ice you would probably have better luck with that (since youre not having to start your plants every freakin spring from scratch!) Even so pump/filter can be handy for promoting beneficial nitrifying bacteria (which convert fish waste ammonia to nitrate which fertilizes the plants) AND for oxygenating the water (good for fish).

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living