Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oscarmatic_gw

How to save the plants, nymphs, and good-guys while pond is dry

Oscarmatic
10 years ago

As part of the on-going renovation of the backyard pond (more details in the link below), we will be draining the pond for approximately two weeks while we patch concrete, trim landscaping, clear muck, and tinker with the pipes. This pond has a thriving natural ecosystem, and I would like to preserve and restore as much of that as possible. Three things in particular to save:

-- The mulm at the bottom is home to many (many!) dragonfly and damselfly nymphs. They mature into beautiful adults, and are a lovely addition the garden. How can I preserve some of the nymphs to seed back into the pond?

-- I've cleared and divided a matted tangle of reeds and taro, which are now awaiting transplant into gravel bins for placement in the stream. How best to keep the plants healthy and happy for two weeks out of the pond?

-- As I mentioned in my post about backwashing the filter, I am guessing there is beneficial microbial action happening somewhere in the filter system. Should I try to save some of the filter medium from the Triton or the intake pipe to jump-start the filter when we turn it back on?

The option I'm working on now is a big tub of pond water in the shade with the taro, reed, and a few nymphs. We're having an unseasonably warm November in San Diego, so I wonder about it getting too hot. I also wonder if the water will need aeration, or will be ok sitting still.

Suggestions and ideas are much appreciated.

Here is a link that might be useful: Introduction to The Pond Project

Comments (4)