Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lisa11310

It's nearly that time : (

lisa11310
12 years ago

To shut down the pump and the waterfalls, put the "tent" over the pond and say goodnight to my fishies. I always wait till the last minute and always do several frog searches in the two top small ponds. So far I have not found any, last year I found somewhere around 14-16. I think this year the temp has been falling steadily and they moved on. I believe last year we were quite warm then had a hard freeze overnight and they were stuck under ice.(I was able to save most of them and relocated them down at the lake). I hate shutting my pond down It may be April before I get it running again SNIFF SNIFF SNIFF...

Comments (7)

• hardin
    12 years ago

I understand how you feel. Even though I don't shut my equipment down, I do have to work on getting everything clean and ready so they will hopefully pull thru until spring. I worry about them all winter. This summer I even had a small red eared slider about the size of a 50 cent piece show up. I haven't been able to catch him, so I am hoping it will be okay too. And my girl bullfrog, and my koi and my......well you get the idea. :)

• horton
    12 years ago

Come on you two and stop the procrastination.
    Just get out there and get the job done!! LOL
    No time like the present!
    "Horton"

• hardin
    12 years ago

Hi Horton. I haven't procastinated as much this year. I knew the leaves would fall early this year, so my net has been up awhile. You should see me on the warmer days, when I crawl under the net so I can get closer to check on the 'wet pets'. LOL, my poor husband really wonders about me sometimes. Whatever ya'll do, do not send me the weather like last winter. BLAH!!

• sleeplessinftwayne
    12 years ago

Sigh..., the first snowfall and freezing temps hit last night. As always, I didn't have everything done except for the pond. I learned that lesson the first year. Pond first, anything else can wait. DH brought home a virus of some sort and it laid me low for a while so there are bulbs not planted and the storage space for the new riding mower isn't ready yet. But the snow is lovely and I really do enjoy seeing it come down. Now I need to locate the winter gear and warm clothes to finish up as much as possible. I'm glad I no longer have to cut wood to heat the house as I did in Wisconsin.

Ginger Kitty has decided on staying inside this winter. The snow isn't as exciting this time around, I guess. Her friend the opossum had to be removed from the garage a few nights ago. He was determined to make it his winter den after he was ejected from the living room twice in one evening. At least the raccoons haven't been as stubborn as usual.

• kalevi
    12 years ago

I've secured my pond for winter: Cut away most of the foliage, scooped out all the leaves and debris, sunk the lilies in the deep part, and cleaned and put away the biofilter and prefilter. I have my bubbler going. It has been sort of warm so the fish are still quite active. There was only 1 day of ice on the pond so far. So sad but I look forward to spring when everything comes back.

• pcan
    12 years ago

My first ponding winter and I am not quite sure what to expect. I cleaned the pond, trimmed the plants and dropped the lilies to the bottom about a month ago. temps have been in the 40's during the day and 20's at night. I still have the pump running, I want to wait till I absolutely half to to turn it off. I'd like to plan on shutting the pump down around the first day of winter and back on around the first day of spring so I only have to go 3 months without it running each year. We have had snow, but no ice on the pond or stream so far. We shall see. The fish are more active than I thought they would be. Here is a pic I took tonight.

{{gwi:236653}}

• sdavis
    12 years ago

Isn't it about that time, when perty xmas lights will cheer a pond up ;)