Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
ponds first winter

Posted by gdnh 5 (My Page) on
Sat, Dec 29, 12 at 8:41

I live in Mass already four inches snow on the ground. I put in a thermo pond de icer seems to be working so far. I built a ledge out of plastic (about one foot square extending out over pond over de icer)over it to keep off ice but dont know if I made the right decision. The ledge is about six inches above de icer. I will be out of town for two weeks possibly the de icer will get iced in, might be better without the ledge?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: ponds first winter

So long as a sliver of ice free space is around the deicer, it is doing the job it is supposed to do. It is impossible to predict what the ledge will do. A bubbler would do the job too so long as the bubbles don't hit the deicer directly.

o

I don't get quite the winter cold you do, but the first winter I turned off the pump and lost most of my fish after the top froze completely over. Since then I just run my submersible pump with a prefilter on the inlet side but an open outlet, and it keeps an open space on the surface, as well as providing circulation. The ice has gotten thick elsewhere on the pond, and one winter there was even briefly a dome of ice above the pump outlet, but the pond stayed aerated and the fish survived. In combination with the deicer I'm sure it would work for colder zones.

o

We were having lows in the single digits, averages in the teens and rarely highs above freezing. The Pond had three inches of ice and I had to leave town with a forecast of no change. Out of frustration I just tossed a gutter/pipe protector (12 foot wire thing with a thermostat that plugs into the 110 outlet.) into the pond and returned after a week. Above the heat, I tossed it in coiled, was a two foot hole that was ice clear.

o

Hey how ya guys doing. I live in Pennslyvania, this winter has been pretty nasty. You either want a air bubbler or a submersable pump running that will spray water up. Thus breaking the ponds surface and providing oxygen for fish. I see you said something about a plastic ledge. Just make sure your pond does not freeze completely. Also, make sure that if you do have plastic over a pond with fish. Make sure it's not air tight so that harmful gasses can escape. I keep mine uncovered, I run a big underwaterpump that will spout water. This will freeze solid if it gets cold enough. I also have a floating pond de-icer that will keep a hole in the ice if everything freezes. Hope this helps

Craig

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here