Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
how to get rid of! dragon fly larvae

Posted by mrchillman California (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 1, 08 at 9:31

So I have an abnormally large number of dragonfly larvae in my 200 gallon fancy guppy pond. My guppies have been very prolific and this last week i estimated that I had about 50 or so. However, yesterday I got home from being in Boston for 4 days, and I noticed i had significantly fewer guppies, and right off the bat I saw 4 big one - one and a half inch dragon fly larvae sitting out in the open. This leads me to believe that they are eating my guppies!

Everyone says dragon flies are good for eating mosquitoes, but we don't really have many mosquitoes where I live, and i would rather have my pretty guppies than big biting dragon flies.
And i know that the guppies didn't die from the cold (it doesn't get very cold to begin with here) because the pond is heated and never gets bellow 65 degrees, and usually its in the lower to mid 70s.

Thank you for any suggestions you might have!

and here is a pic of my pond
Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: how to get rid of! dragon fly larvae

Left to their own devices you will end up with just a few very plump dragonfly larvae. They are ambush predators hanging out in shallow waters often among the aquatic plant foliage

If you can see the dragonfly larvae easily, snip the dragonflies in half with a pair of scissors, the fish get their turn, to snack on the dragonfly

o

• Posted by larryl 7 Southern Oregon (My Page) on
    Mon, Dec 1, 08 at 14:56

You have created the perfect food source for dragonfly larvae. If you do choose to engage the battle, be prepared for a war that you can never actually win, and you know how frustrating that can be. There will always be more larvae. Perhaps an outdoor pond isn't the best place for guppy breeding.

o

You could scoop them up with a net. Place in big enough water container with plants, feed them some fish food and wait for them to become dragonflys. It might work yes?

Lisa

o

Dragonfly Larvae will eat smaller fish. Goldfish and Koi are susceptible when young, but get their revenge as adults. I've seen goldfish devour larvae during my spring cleanings. I think Larry is correct about your guppies. Kind of a no win scenario. Add some goldfish and you would no longer see much larvae, but the goldfish would eat the guppies.

Dragonflies do eat mosquitoes. They also eat pollinating insects such as bees. Nature requires a balance.

The YouTube video below demonstrates what what can happen to small fish.

Here is a link that might be useful: Larvae Attack

o

Hi
I wouldn't worry too much about the guppies lol. If you keep the water that warm you'll have more offspring than the pond can handle anyway.
I"ve kept platies and swordtails since 82 and except for a freak freeze have never had the population decline.
Last August i cleaned out my small inground because it developed a leak and quit counting when I got to 400 fish lol. This is in spite of herons dragonflies cats raccoons kids you name it lol. gary

o

Nymphs are visual hunters and your pond seems to have great clarity. Do some hunting of your own by setting bait: A glass jar filled with pond water and a portion of (choose-guppies, brine shrimp...) and place it in some visually and net-accessible, open space at the bottom of your pond. Use cheesecloth or fine mesh screen and a rubber band to keep your bait in the jar.
Get a six pack, a chair, a net and watch for curious (or rather, always hungry) nymphs gravitate to this banquet.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here