Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
leak or evaporation

Posted by iancauser none (My Page) on
Thu, Dec 20, 12 at 11:00

Hi
I live in Canada and have noticed that I am losing about 4" water in a 9L x5W x5D pond over night. I have a pond heater running and the past few days it has been between -10 c to -16c without wind chill. The fish are still active ! there is a cold steam coming off the pond but is it possible this water loss os down to evaporation? would it help to put a tarp over the pond ? I am having to fill this up every night ! I cant see any splits in the liner and I would expect the liner to be deformed with all that water under it if it was leaking and as the ground is frozen I don't think it would soak away. So is it possible to lose that much water everyday through evaporation ?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: leak or evaporation

do you have anything running other than the heater?an ice dam(built up of ice on the water fall)could cause that.that is too much water to loose over night.you could not add any water to the pond,and see where the water stops at the leak.if the leak is at the bottom dont let the pond drain down too far.

o
RE: leak or evaporation

Hey there. A heater is much more than you need. You are wasting energy keeping the whole pond and the surrounding air warm rather than just keeping a small space open(just a sliver is enough) in the ice. The water is deep enough that the fish should do fine. Can you find out the water temp a foot or more deep? It doesn't need to be warm. My pond is 34oF a foot down with the ambient temps 20oF and with a bubbler and the waterfall from the Skippy filter going it will still be open if the temps drop much lower.

I tried to use a heater on a very small pond once and the surrounding shrubbery was totally white with frost and icicles and there was a fog completely surrounding the pond. Far too much heat.

Turn off the heater, turn on a bubbler. Let the waterfall run unless it forms a dam. The bubbler will likely be enough. If not, then get a deicer, not a heater. The cost to run will be much, much less. There is even a theory that just so there are bubbles from the aerator, you don't need a hole in the ice.

The fact that your fish are still active shows they are not settled for the winter yet. Check the water temps. They should slow down below 55oF.

Sorry, I'm too lazy to do the conversion to Celsius today.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here