Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kjledford

Evap or Leak - Small Hardshell pond

kjledford
11 years ago

I have a small hardshell pond that come with the house. Its installed above ground in a raised bed. Its a typical one maybe 6 feet by 3 feet with a 1 tier shelf mid depth. Now, I've never had to put much water in it except during really hot months and that made sense to me. Here is the problem:

About August I conacted a company to come and clean my pond. I have large goldfish in it that have bred and had 2 fingerling babies. I told them that the fish were my #1 priority and the pond was getting really scummy. He caught the fish and emptied the pond - taking it completely out of the ground to do so. He kept talking about getting a soft liner and I told him I wasn't spending a lot of money on the pond - I just wanted it clean for the fish. He put the liner back and it was no where near level anymore. Sloped over to one side with maybe a 4-5 in grade. Since then, and especially the last 2 months - I've had to fill the pond every 2 weeks. Last time it was during a freeze and I was scared the hose wouldn't thaw and I wouldn't be able to fill it up again. So this past week again I see the water go down. Sure its cold and their may be some splash from the pump fountain (its set to just bubble out the top - no fancy fountain feature) -- but this is ridiculous. In less than 2 weeks the water has dropped maybe 5-6 inches? In temps from 20-60. Mostly 40s. He came out today and took the fish out and put them in a bucket. He brought a airater but it doesn't work. I can't keep them out of the water all winter. I plan on filling it back up today (and without any tap water purifier - he forgot to leave some)... and put them back in - figure its safer for them in there than in a bucket on the porch. Any suggestions out there for this mess? I don't want to lose anymore fish and I have never had so much trouble with the pond. And to top it all off... the water is BLACK. Wasted my money and killed my fish =(

Comment (1)