Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Water flow meter on fill line

Posted by Oscarmatic CA z10/23 (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 16, 13 at 13:06

The pond project is continuing to make good progress. Last week, the pond was drained completely and mucked out. I'm already looking ahead to reinstalling the bog plants and re-establishing our lovely ecosystem and bubbling stream.

One of the things that would be nice to know for future maintenance is the approximate volume of the pond. It is difficult to estimate because of the irregular shapes. Now that I need to refill the pond, I'm thinking a flow meter on the refill line will tell me exactly what I need to know. Has anyone used this method to determine pond volume?

For those of you who have used flow meters, did you have a temporary hose-end meter, or did you install one permanently? I am considering plumbing one into the refill line, so we can use it both to determine total volume and to monitor refill rates.

Finally, I would love your recommendations and advice for inexpensive flow meters. There are several types available and not much product review information. Suggestions are much appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Water flow meter on fill line

Howdy,

I have taken a before and after reading at my house meter, and I have heard of people timing how long their hose takes to fill a 5 gallon bucket then doing the math after measuring how long it took to fill the pond.

Dave

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here