Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
koi breeders

Posted by ymaddox (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 28, 10 at 14:13

also could people be kind enough to post some good koi breeders in kentucky area or online that is reasonably priced...thanks in advance.

again not much going on over in the koi pond forum.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: koi breeders

Have you tried checking with any local koi clubs. They may be able to help you out locally.

Here is a link that might be useful: Greater Louisville KOI and Goldfish Society

o

no i have'nt but thanks that is a good resource, i am in the planning phase right now...wish i was digging but with all the snow could bet a little tough and cold out there lol. found a place on ebay that has some nice koi. was just looking for some more suggestions...thanks again for the info.

o

Ebay is probably the worst place you can buy koi. There is a deadly koi virus out there (koi Herpes Virus, or KHV) that you need to do some research on. Koi can become infected and survive, only to pass the virus on to other koi later down the road. When an active infection hits a pond, 70% or so of the koi will die. the ones that survive it (including goldfish) are now carriers and should be euthanized. The only guy on Ebay that I know and trust is SJKoi, Richard Rombold. He runs a closesd farm and is KHV free. Be very wary of the Ebay sellers who are offering imports. Actually...be wary of ALL ebay sellers. If you are in the planning phases now, the best thing for you to do is contact that club. They can help you prevent a LOT of expensive mistakes and can point you to some good sources of healthy fish.

o

ymaddox, I'm wondering if we might be related. I'm a Maddox.

o

not sure pondmaninal i live in kentucky

o
Black Outs

what do you do if the power goes out and no generator. How do I keep my fish safe? have you used an air pump that runs on a car battery?

o

sorry I did not mean to post a follow up, the above question should have been a new subject.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here