Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
pond excavation and wetland construction

Posted by diepilze 6a (My Page) on
Wed, Dec 25, 13 at 20:12

My wife and I own three acres in Indiana. We have a flooding and ponding problem in our two small fields. It makes gardening hard, sometimes it can be muddy until late may or even June. Our largest field ponds with any rainfall because a large farm field drains into it through a French drain under the road. We want to pasture sheep or goats there, but I don't even know if I could find a totally suitable location for a shelter.
I need a plan to divert, retain, and gradually release runoff so that I can use my land.
I would like to excavate a large pond to hold the runoff. I think that I can dig a 30' Wx 40'Lx~6-8'deep pond with a principal spillway 40'x40'x1.5'. I want to plant the spill way with native floodplain trees and flora. I would like habitat for wood ducks and fish.
We're outside the city limits, but there are probably code and zoning ordinances to navigate. Where do I start navigating through the government?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: pond excavation and wetland construction

If I were in your situation I would check with my local extension service. The link below might be a good place to start.

Here is a link that might be useful: Purdue Univ. Extension Service

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here