Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lisa11310

holey crap 18 frogs!!!!

lisa11310
13 years ago

Our unusual mid winter thaw had me out inspecting the pond. The hose was ice free. I decided to add fresh water (well water) slowly throughout the day in the larger 500 gal preformed where the fish live. I could not run the (submersible) pump because the ponds were still mostly frozen over. I also ran a little water to the two 50 gal top ponds that create the waterfalls. Ill be darned if I didn't see something move under the ice of the middle pond. A frog! Now I have to rescue this little guy because those 2 small ponds will freeze solid most winters, I have never seen a frog survive in those 2 ponds, only find dead ones. That pond was frozen down to the bottom already and it took several hours letting the hose trickle to get the ice out. I saved the frog, threw him in the big pond where there are frog pots. Then I saw another then another and yet another. I began dismantling the top 2 small ponds. In the end I had 18 frogs 5 were already dead :( . I didn't dare put that many frogs in the fish pond because I was not sure they would survive if they were disturbed during their hibernation. I took my bucket full of frogs 1/4 mile down the road and let them go in a river bog that runs between 2 lakes. They were in the bucket long enough to become active and I am hoping they were strong enough to find a safe place to spend the rest of the winter. They would have all been dead by spring if I had not moved them (imagine what a stinky mess that would have been)! Can anybody tell me if they have any chance of survival having been moved in this state?

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!