Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
paparoseman

Turning an adult dog into a puppy

paparoseman
17 years ago

I have an adopted dog that came from a vet hospital that was looking for someone to take an elderly mans dog. The owner had to go into a nursing home and of course he was not allowed to take the dog with him. She is a Shiba Inu crossed with a Mini Dachsund and her favorite sport is killing mice. When I ask if she has to go potty she will run to the front door if she has to go and then she does her thing and comes right back in.

Normally if it is raining she will look out the door and if it is raining she looks up at me as if to say I can hold it for a while till it stops raining. Last night it snowed seven inches and I opened the door to show her the snow and she could not wait to run out. She has a Shiba Inu curly tail and thick neck combined with dachsund ears which she can hold up like large fox ears and only half as tall as a Shiba Inu.

After running around for an hour and a half it got to the point where the snow was up to her chest and she had to leap to get through the snow. Shiba Inu's come from Japan and have a fairly thick coat and she did not even act like it was cold. It was so fun to watch her as she leaped and played in the snow while her license got clogged with snow and became silent so that she could run up on us without us hearing her first. Finally after an hour and a half it was time to go to bed so I brought her in and she quickly dropped off to sleep.

She is now twelve years old and she was not even sore the next day.

Lance

Comments (16)

• michaelalreadytaken
    17 years ago

That sounds like a wonderful and fantastic and beautiful dawg.

!!!

MichaelAT

• AnneCecilia z5 MI
    17 years ago

Lucky you to witness such joy!
    I am a strong believer in the benefits of adopting older dogs. Those who would never consider making a place in their homes for any other than a new puppy can be missing out on some wonderful companions. Good for you, Lance!

Anne

• sammy zone 7 Tulsa
    17 years ago

Good for you. I just love dogs, and it sounds like you found a good one.

Sammy

• harryshoe zone6 eastern Pennsylvania
    17 years ago

Give her lots of TLC. She probably misses her first owner and needs to transition into your life, although it sounds as if she is well on her way. I am happy for you. As soon as I retire, I will rescue some hound myself.

• debnfla8b
    17 years ago

Dearest Lance,

I have always known you were truly kind and a wonderful person to call friend. This just proves how kind and loving you are!! I would love to see a picture of this very special dog you adopted...she sounds so cute! I can only imagine the sight of her holding up those big ole ears....tooo sweet.

Deb

• carla17
    17 years ago

Sounds like a neat dog, do you have any pics? I'm not familiar with Shiba Inu.

Carla

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    17 years ago

Lance, what's her name? And if your little hunter does moles, could she stay here a few days :) I'm sure she'd look really cute with Gracie the Great Dane across the street.

• anntn6b
    17 years ago

There's nothing quite like watching pets in snow. Sounds like the dog has found a second excellent master. Congrats to both.
    Ann

• athenainwi
    17 years ago

What a great dog! I got my mini dachshund the same way this summer - the previous owner had to go into a nursing home and had to give the dog up for adoption. I've spoken to her twice now to reassure her that we are taking good care of the dog. Those dogs do enjoy the snow don't they? I'm so glad our dachshund lets us towel her off afterwards as our other dog (a Westie) does not let us get the snow off of her and prefers to let it melt on the couch.

• paparoseman
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I was tricked into getting her from a vet hospital I deliver to that is two hours drive from my house. They got me with the line ( Do you want a dog?, She's small and real cute, she is free to a good home, do you want to see her? ). The Veterinary Hospital had her for a month because people thought she was cute but when they found out she was ten years old they would say ( I was looking for a puppy ). Her name is Suzie and when I first saw her I was told you could change her name, but my first thought was I do not think she would like a new name after ten years.

Her owner had brought her to the same vet since she was a puppy so when he told them that he had to go into a nursing home they told him they would find her a good home. After I picked her up and took her home I was able to tell the workers at the hospital how she was doing and all of the activites she was doing at her new house. The woman that had talked me into taking her went to the nursing home and told the man that she was in a house near a park where she could run free once a day for an hour or more. She told me the next week when she saw me that he cried when he found out that she could run around because he had been unable to take her out for awhile and that she really seemed to be having a good time in her new place.

She does not play with any dog toys and does not fetch sticks or eat dog treats. We went on a walk today in temperatures of 25F and she was not affected at all. She has short hair on her legs like a dachsund but all of her other hair is longer and thicker like a Shiba Inu. When she looks out of the front window as we pull up to the house with her ears up she looks like a giant bat

Lance

• AnneCecilia z5 MI
    17 years ago

Carla, Shiba Inu was a dog breed I had not heard of either - I had to look it up just out of curiosity. It's one of six Japanese breeds of dogs. Here's a link you may find helpful.
    (And Lance, if you do have a photo, we'd love to see Suzie!)

Anne

Here is a link that might be useful: Shiba Inu at wikipedia

• paparoseman
    Original Author
    17 years ago

The picture at the top is Suzie to a tee. Put a dachsund head on that body and make the ears one third larger and there she is. She weighs 14.5 pounds and is ten inches tall at the top of the shoulder. Unlike pure breed Shiba's she will run all over and get as far as 300 feet away and then come right back and stop at my feet to see if it is time to go. She is aloof to most people and does not come close to other people unless I am close by.

• carla17
    17 years ago

I'm trying to imagine your dog Lance. She sounds very dedicated.

Carla

• meredith_e Z7b, Piedmont of NC, 1000' elevation
    17 years ago

I love hearing about her! Dogs in the snow are the best :) Shibas are so interesting.

I adopted a Jindo that they thought was a SE... same huge bat ears but a bigger dog... loves the snow, too. The ancient Asian breeds are so regal and loyal; they fascinate me.

Mixed with a dachshund, how cool! Yeah, Kiki [jindo] wouldn't come back till maybe 300000 ft and a day of hunting, lol. That dachsund part is helpful!

Here is a link that might be useful: Jindo ... Kiki's red

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    17 years ago

She is 1 lucky dog, and her former owner is probably thrilled that she found you. Good Karma.

• zeffyrose
    17 years ago

This post made me very happy-----You have done a wonderful thing and this puppy knows it.

She will be your friend for as long as she lives.

My daughter rescued a Golden retriever who was in very bad condition---had to have surgery---etc.

Well she is gorgeous now---over 11 years old and still going strong.

what a sweetie she is.

Good luck with your new friend.

Florence