Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
srgb, adobe rgb, etc. anyone?

Posted by michaelalreadytaken No Cal (My Page) on
Wed, Jan 24, 07 at 6:13

I finally broke down and indulged myself with a new monitor and CS2. OK.

I notice that the histograms in Camera Raw change dramatically if I switch from one RGB to another but the preview image changes only a nearly imperceptible degree--if at all.

Is this normal?

In general, it seems that going from Adobe to sRGB alternately raises and lowers the graph by a third to a half without affecting the horizontal endpoints. Swithching to the ProPhoto and/or Color Match spaces seems to maintain the original height of the histogram but, in the examples I've tried, usually brings the histogram to the left, sometimes right.

Even so, as before, I don't detect a perceptible change.

As far as printing anything, I haven't even gone there yet and suspect it'll be awhile before I cross that bridge. (I have zero intention of going anywhere near buying a printer--if the day comes when I want to print something I'll go to a professional.)

So, is the entire concept of which color space to use:

1) an academic question in the age of improved monitors
2) or am I doing something wrong
3) or have I missed an entire issue somewhere?

I have Preview, Shadows, and Highlights turned "on" and, again, don't see any changes in those fields despite the changes in the histogram.

Anyone?

TIA

MichaelAT

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: srgb, adobe rgb, etc. anyone?

EDD said somthing when I asked about this. I'm still confused he does a lot of design work and he finally told me do what you always do so my serach produced this link on mnay links saying RGB Versus Adobe RGB.

Here is a link that might be useful: RGB VERSUS ADOBE RGB

o

I have no idea what you are talking about. But you sound very learn-ed.
k

o

Thank you Joe! I've bookmarked that site and several of the ones in it. I see that its the same guy that took the Cambridge photos which I've seen before on PBase. Wow, wow, wow.

I was disappointed to see that the Color Management seminar was in San Francisco just last week. I guess they'll be back at some point.

Kath,

I was talking about Adobe Photoshop CS2 and some of the different settings it uses to best display photos on monitors. Thanks for the compliment but at this point I have as many questions as answers.

I can tell you that I've experimented with the "Merge to HDR" (high dynamic resolution) feature, which is (drumroll) da bomb when it comes to blending shadows and highlights--and not having to choose between one or the other. Fantastic.

MichaelAT

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here