Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
English Muffin Toasting Bread

Posted by debn 8b NW Florida (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 8, 09 at 9:16

This is from the King Arthur website. I made this yesterday and it is wonderful. I just ate a piece of toast made from it....they are right, the holes hold that butter and jam sooooooo well....LOL After it was baked and on the rack cooling, I brushed the top with some melted butter...gave it that soft crust and a nice shine.

ENGLISH MUFFIN TOASTING BREAD

3 cups unbleached all-purpose flour, King Arthur
1 tablespoon sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 tablespoon instant yeast
1 cup milk
1/4 cup water
2 tablespoons canola oil, can substitute olive oil
1 teaspoon cornmeal, to sprinkle in pan
Directions
1. Whisk together the flour, sugar, salt, baking soda, and instant yeast in a large mixing bowl.
2. Combine the milk, water, and oil in a separate, microwave-safe bowl, and heat to between 120F and 130F The liquid will feel very hot (hotter than lukewarm), but not so hot that it would scald you. As a reference point, the hottest water from your kitchen tap is probably around 120F (unless your tap water is so hot that it burns you).
3. Pour the hot liquid over the dry ingredients in the mixing bowl.
4. Beat at high speed for 1 minute. The dough will be very soft.
5. Lightly grease an 8 1/2" x 4 1/2" loaf pan, and sprinkle the bottom and sides with cornmeal.
6. Scoop the soft dough into the pan, leveling it in the pan as much as possible.
7. Cover the pan, and let the dough rise till it's just barely crowned over the rim of the pan. When you look at the rim of the pan from eye level, you should see the dough, but it shouldn't be more than, say, 1/4" over the rim. This will take about 45 minutes to 1 hour, if you heated the liquid to the correct temperature and your kitchen isn't very cold. While the dough is rising, preheat the oven to 400F.
8. Remove the cover, and bake the bread for 20 to 22 minutes, till it's golden brown and its interior temperature is 190F.
9. Remove the bread from the oven, and after 5 minutes turn it out of the pan onto a rack to cool. Let the bread cool completely before slicing.

ENJOY!!!!!

Deb

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: English Muffin Toasting Bread

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Thu, Jan 8, 09 at 21:11

Ummmmm, Deb - Sounds awfully good. I love muffin bread but have never made it. And I haven't visited King Arthur to place an order for a long time, must be due - there are always things I just can't live without in that catalog.

Those holes you mention also hold a good sharp cheddar once melted and make a heck of a grilled cheese, even better if you slice a great tomato and put some of that in between pieces of cheese before grilling.

Thanks for sharing! Spring is several weeks away and I should make some bread being indoors anyway.

o

• Posted by debn 8b NW Florida (My Page) on
    Thu, Jan 8, 09 at 21:39

The King Arthur website also has a blog section. They give step by step pictures and that makes it so much easier to get it just right! There is a section that has recipes!!! All kind of recipes...just click on the header called "recipes" and enjoy! I have got so much enjoyment from their blog....they make it all look so easy...LOL

Deb

o

I finally found muffin tins for making English Muffins from scratch. I want something that takes more time, so I'll appreciate each muffin. The problem with a great loaf of bread is that once it's made, it's so easy to eat.
(Larry + loaf of fresh bread + butter = happy husband. And a need to make more bread the next day.)

o

• Posted by debn 8b NW Florida (My Page) on
    Fri, Jan 9, 09 at 15:43

Ann, I have hunted for a while now for muffin tins! Where did you find them?? I want sooooo bad to make them from scrath. I have heard they are so much better than store bought. I was told to use tuna cans with both ends cut off. Okay, but now all the tuna cans have that rounded edge on the bottom instead of an edge like the top of the can has. You can NOT cut the bottom out of the new cans without loosing a finger or messing up your can opener. Why do they have to "fix" everything? That can was just fine the way it was!

David loves fresh made loaves of bread too Ann. You don't happen to have a recipe for really good scali bread do you?? I love the way Wal-mart(of all places!) make their Scali bread or the little braided scali rolls!!! OMG...they are delish!

Deb

o

Deb - what you want is called an entremet ring. They come in different sizes and shapes.

Here are a few places to look around.

Best.

http://cooksdream.com/store/bkj.html

Here is a link that might be useful: One source of baking stuff

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here