Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
debnfla8b

English Muffin Toasting Bread

debnfla8b
15 years ago

This is from the King Arthur website. I made this yesterday and it is wonderful. I just ate a piece of toast made from it....they are right, the holes hold that butter and jam sooooooo well....LOL After it was baked and on the rack cooling, I brushed the top with some melted butter...gave it that soft crust and a nice shine.

ENGLISH MUFFIN TOASTING BREAD

3 cups unbleached all-purpose flour, King Arthur

1 tablespoon sugar

1 1/2 teaspoons salt

1/4 teaspoon baking soda

1 tablespoon instant yeast

1 cup milk

1/4 cup water

2 tablespoons canola oil, can substitute olive oil

1 teaspoon cornmeal, to sprinkle in pan

Directions

1. Whisk together the flour, sugar, salt, baking soda, and instant yeast in a large mixing bowl.

2. Combine the milk, water, and oil in a separate, microwave-safe bowl, and heat to between 120°F and 130°F The liquid will feel very hot (hotter than lukewarm), but not so hot that it would scald you. As a reference point, the hottest water from your kitchen tap is probably around 120°F (unless your tap water is so hot that it burns you).

3. Pour the hot liquid over the dry ingredients in the mixing bowl.

4. Beat at high speed for 1 minute. The dough will be very soft.

5. Lightly grease an 8 1/2" x 4 1/2" loaf pan, and sprinkle the bottom and sides with cornmeal.

6. Scoop the soft dough into the pan, leveling it in the pan as much as possible.

7. Cover the pan, and let the dough rise till it's just barely crowned over the rim of the pan. When you look at the rim of the pan from eye level, you should see the dough, but it shouldn't be more than, say, 1/4" over the rim. This will take about 45 minutes to 1 hour, if you heated the liquid to the correct temperature and your kitchen isn't very cold. While the dough is rising, preheat the oven to 400°F.

8. Remove the cover, and bake the bread for 20 to 22 minutes, till it's golden brown and its interior temperature is 190°F.

9. Remove the bread from the oven, and after 5 minutes turn it out of the pan onto a rack to cool. Let the bread cool completely before slicing.

ENJOY!!!!!

Deb

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!