Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sammy_gw

Carla cannot get onto the forums

sammy zone 7 Tulsa
16 years ago

I wonder how many others cannot get back on. Carla cannot get to us and neither can one other, but I cannot post her name since I don't have her permission.

I got in touch with the techs, and they say from the GW side everything is ok, and there are no problems with their accounts.

One person said that he/she got in by going through google.

Do you have any suggestions or ideas? Can you figure out any way to help her?

I will forward anything to her. It has been 6 days now.

Sammy

Comments (30)

• devon_in_the_garden

I emailed Carla, I hope she can get on soon.

• devon_in_the_garden

• devon_in_the_garden

• devon_in_the_garden

• lesdvs9
    16 years ago

I already gave her my back door entries and front door ones too. Nothing works I suggested either.
    Leslie

• diggerdave
    16 years ago

They probably say the links to the miniature forum and the gallery are fine too. Clueless.... I had trouble logging on to the diggerndeb account when they made their hardware update. The password had an extra letter. I had to type the last letter twice. Found that out by accident... clumsy fingers. Perhaps Carla's password was changed too??

• labrea_gw
    16 years ago

Techs are nuts...I can get into the Antique forum fine but if I click roses Gallery it says page not found someone else sent me a link and I was able to use it....

Here is a link that might be useful: Rose gal

• ronda_in_carolina
    16 years ago

I think Pete must be blocked too. He is getting soggy over on the other post. lol

Come back soon Carla!!!

Ronda

• theroselvr
    16 years ago

Didn't realize she was still having problems. I sent her links to the decorating & Real estate forums to see if she has luck logging in at THS VS GW.

Since I'm always at either one, I've never had log in problems and haven't read that anyone on those forums have either.

I told her to read a post, then try to reply. It will ask her to log in, she can then do so and try to load the rose forum instead of hitting submit.

Here is a link that might be useful: decorating

• sammy zone 7 Tulsa
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I don't think she can even get to the GW. I cannot imagine what is wrong.

• sammy zone 7 Tulsa
    Original Author
    16 years ago

She sent me a picture of her computer that said it "cannot find server". She is going to call her server again today.

She and another person have been in contact with GW, and there are no problems here. They just cannot get on.

If you have a message for her, and if you post it here, I will just forward it to her when it shows up in my email.

Sammy

• theroselvr
    16 years ago

Thanks Sammy, I emailed her this morning. I think it's on her end. I made a post on the decorating off topic section, another person can get on. I'm gonna have Carla unplug her modem for 5 to 10 minutes (I always do it longish to let it cool down since it runs 24/7) then told her to plug the modems power back in, wait for the lights to finish flashing, then boot her computer back up.

I know she was having issues a while ago also, which is another reason I think it might be her computer. Not sure when the last time she reformatted the drive.

• theroselvr
    16 years ago

Here's what Carla is getting if anyone wants to see

{{gwi:201977}}

I'll continue to try to work with her today. Hopefully I will have more time then yesterday.

I've had replies on my post in the decorating section, others using Charter are not having problems.

• moodyblue
    16 years ago

Strange - I have e-mailed her also. Hope she gets sorted soon. I miss her. Also so many other people do not seem to be around. Hopefully gone on a winter holiday.

There is new information on "Pete" in the WHERE'S PETE in this Conversations Forum.

Pauline - Vancouver Island

• Molineux
    16 years ago

I had the same problem getting onto the rose forums. Restarting my computer and waiting a few days cleared it up. She can also try doing a Google search for Gardenweb and then going to the forums site from the parent homepage. I had the most problem with THE ROSARIAN site, but at least on my end appears to be cleared up.

Pete wrote something on the HOT TOPICS forum that got him sent on permanent vacation with the Mouse and the Duck (i.e. he got "Disneyed").

• theroselvr
    16 years ago

I've tried suggesting so many things to Carla, nothing is working.

I've tried coming here on every ones of my computers (4) every one can access it. I usually come in typing www.gardenweb.com, going to the main pages, roses, then roses again

My bird died Monday, then yesterday was my daughters 1st day in school (had to change it) so I haven't been around to help her. Hopefully today. I still think it's her computer, we'll see.

I'd love to access her computer remotely, that would be the easiest. It will be my next suggestion if I can't chat on MSN with her for some reason.

• AnneCecilia z5 MI
    16 years ago

I sure hope someone can figure out the problem for her - there is nothing more frustrating, I know. (Has she tried dumping all her cookies and starting fresh?)
    Please do tell her she is missed.

• theroselvr
    16 years ago

We went through dumping cookies last night, no go. I even had her set her Firefox cookies to exceptions and gave her all of the URLs for here.

I haven't seen her on MSN today but did email a few times quickly today and suggested she try one of those anon cloaking sites to get in and it worked. She was able to read some but when she tried logging in she got booted.

I had her get her IP and send it to Tamara. Nothing came of that yet. Hopefully Jodie can help her as my time has been very limited this week.

• moodyblue
    16 years ago

Gee Roselvr, I should have read this first. I sent Carla after racking my own tiny brain out, which does take a lot, heehee! I sent her a URL and a copy of a page, hoping that she could just carry on from there. Ah well, I am sure everything is being done by many who know much more than I, but still, It all seems so rediculous. I know people were leaning towards the fact that it was her own computer, but now it seems that it is going the other way again. I cannot see why she cannot get another e-mail address and keep it strictly for her Garden Web friends and just log on as a newby, but we ALL know she is still OUR old Carla. I cannot understand why this should not be done or granted or why it would not work. I am assuming that one can create an extra e-mail address just within Outlook Express or whatever, withot a fee, right???

Anyway, this all happened since they closed us down a week or so ago to make improvements - what happened to that, it seems like everyone has been having some kind of problems, but this beats all............and besides, or all people this should happen too.........GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

Pauline - Vancouver Island

• harryshoe zone6 eastern Pennsylvania
    16 years ago

Well, somebody better do something. Its just not the Rose Forum without Carla!

• theroselvr
    16 years ago

Harry, I'm trying.
    I sent Erasmus an email, hoping she will get it. If anyone emails with her, can you have her email me please?

I have a friend in computer tech support that I am chatting with, he seems to think it's a charter issue. I need someone that uses Charter and is having the same problem as Carla to relay the information my friend is giving me & possibly chat with them on MSN messenger as Carla is having issues with that now.

Can anyone help me out to try to get these ladies back on?

• sammy zone 7 Tulsa
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I have been forwarding these messages to her. I will send an email to you, roselvr and Harry to give you my email and hers.
    Sammy

• sammy zone 7 Tulsa
    Original Author
    16 years ago

roselvr, I sent you an email. I sent it through the GW, and need to know if you did not receive it.

Your link is very interesting, but also amazing. I don't have a clue as to what you are doing, and would like to know someday.

Sammy

• theroselvr
    16 years ago

Thanks Sammy. yes it came.

I have been forwarding these messages to her. I will send an email to you, roselvr and Harry to give you my email and hers.

You shouldn't have to do that as they can read here, they just can't post. I am in touch with erasmus as she can't post either. I will see if I can get anywhere with her.. if so, we will then get Carla on.

I am going to post in the NC section to see if anyone is missing there.

Does anyone know if these are the only two people missing here? Is there another forum everyone goes to these days? I know people were going to the Desert, I checked there this morning but it didn't look that busy. Am I missing another forum off of gardenweb to look at? I don't know how many people go to RC, (not able to post the exact name) I am not able to post there, so that's a dead end for me. If anyone here is able to go there, do you know if someone mentioned the problems there?

• sammy zone 7 Tulsa
    Original Author
    16 years ago

On the Antique Rose Forum is Sandy808 who also is having problems. Her thread is near the top there. I wonder if there are any others who are having trouble. I haven't seen a post on the pets forum, Oklahoma forum or computer forums.

Sammy

• theroselvr
    16 years ago

Thanks Sammy, I posted.

Pretty sure Carla has tried typing www.gardenweb.com as we went through that the other day. I will see though.

• erasmus_gw
    16 years ago

Hey! I'm on! I just tried to get on GW for the 100th time in the last three weeks and it worked. I will email Carla right away. When I try to go to the rose gallery though, it doesn't work. Maybe GW is working on fixing it.
    Nice to be back,
    Linda

• sammy zone 7 Tulsa
    Original Author
    16 years ago

The Gallery is one that others have had problems with,
    I am so glad that you are back. Now for Carla......
    Sammy

• theroselvr
    16 years ago

YEAH!!!

Linda, I forwarded what my tech friend said to Carla, she called Charter, so it's possible they looked into it after what I said to her.

For anyone wanting to know.. I gave my friend the link to that print screen I posted of Carla's. Apparently Charter & Verizon use a DNS Assist feature on their DNS servers. Basically, what a server with that installed will do is this:
    If a user whose machine queries that server types in an address (like www.gardenweb.com) that the server is able to query successfully, it loads up the page, and you see nothing out of the ordinary. If it can't, it runs a search for similar pages (usually by punting your request to Yahoo! or some other search engine), like what we saw in the link of Carla's error that I posted.
    Her error suggests one of the following remedies:
    - Change her DNS server (and she'll need to call Charter for that)
    - Clear Firefox's private data (easy enough to do, even for a novice)
    - Scan for anything on her computer that might have eaten at her HOSTS file

If all three fail, Charter needs to be told that their DNS server is misfiring on that site...but odds are that Charter will not be inclined to listen.
    More likely, Charter's DNS information needs to be updated, which is a Charter problem anyway.

I then told him what Linda told Carla.. he then thought it was a problem on Charter's end. I'm not sure if Linda & Carla both use the same DNS server for Charter.. that would be one thing holding Carla up is if they don't. Hopefully with Linda back on, Carla will soon follow (I hope)

If anyone else is having issues: He suggests dumping the private info as I posted above & unplugging power to the modem & router, then reconnecting and rebooting.

Not sure where Carla is. I emailed her a while ago, so far she hasn't responded. I do hope that this is the end of it all.

btw, if my tech friend is reading.. thank you very much for taking the time today!

• moodyblue
    16 years ago

Welcome back both Carla and Linda! :)

We have not heard from Michael AT for a while. Hope he can get on too.
    Pauline

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville