Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carolfm_gw

Sad News From JanetLA

carolfm
17 years ago

I know that many of you remember our friend Janet from Louisiana whose husband Mike was battling cancer. They tried experimental treatments that worked for awhile but I received an email from Janet today and the treatments stopped working and Mike passed away on January 17th. She stated his passing was quick and peaceful. My heart is breaking for her. She wanted all of you who have been so spportive and encouraging to she and Mike to know. May God give her peace and strength.

Carol

Comments (27)

• kathwhit
    17 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Carol, I'm so sorry to hear this. I remember the last time Janet wrote. I was afraid that things hadn't gone well. Please let her know that we are thinking about her and wish her well. It is such a sad loss.
    Kathy

• PRO
    Susan Serra
    17 years ago

I'm so sorry to hear this. He was so brave, she was a rock for him, and they surely did everything they knew how to do. My thoughts are with them both.

• meredith_e Z7b, Piedmont of NC, 1000' elevation
    17 years ago

Good Journey, Mike. Janet, I am so very sorry for your loss. I lost my mother to cancer, and it is devastating. Prayers for peace for you and yours, and may time heal the pain and leave you with smiles at the memories.

• carla17
    17 years ago

Janet, I am so sorry to hear this. I remember you answered my post on experimental drug trials. May God hold Mike close and you even closer. My sincere condolences to you and your family. Please feel free to e-mail if you need to talk.

Carla

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    17 years ago

Janet, my most sincere sympathies for your loss. If anyone ever fought a good fight, it was Mike. Hopefully he left you with some of that strength now that he's no longer using it.

Prayers for peace for his soul and also for your heart....

• User
    17 years ago

I'm so sorry to hear this!

• AnneCecilia z5 MI
    17 years ago

Janet, my deepest sympathy on your loss. Thank you for thinking of us at such a time and wanting us all to know.

Anne

• zeffyrose
    17 years ago

Janet-----Please know that my thoughts and prayers are with you.

You and Mike were so brave through all of this.

My love and prayers are with you.

Florence

• joan_ontheprairie
    17 years ago

My dear Janet...there are no words. I am just sending you all my love and prayers and hope you know that my heart is with you. You are a precious angel and have been with Mike every step of the way. I know that in time you will learn to live with this tremendous loss but there is so little I can say that will help right now.
    Love and my deepest sympathy,
    Joan

• debnfla8b
    17 years ago

Janet, I'm so very sorry to hear that Mike passed. I have thought of you and Mike often and kept him uplifted in prayer.

May God give you peace sweet friend.

Deb

• melva
    17 years ago

I am so sorry to hear the news, Janet..you, (and Mike) are in my heart...I am hoping that you will find peace.

• cayene
    17 years ago

I am so sad for Janet. She and Mike are the greatest, sweetest people that one could ever meet. My heart breaks for Janet too as she is in my thoughts and prayers.

• ginni77
    17 years ago

I'm also very sad for Janet. I know how hard Mike fought to battle his disease. Carol, I appreciate you letting us know. I will include Janet in my prayers.

Janet, I've been where you are and if you need to talk, email me.

God bless you
    Ginni

• onewheeler
    17 years ago

Janet I am so sad about your loss, please accept my sympathy.

May the Good Lord hold you and steer you through this difficult time.

There are many of us who have lost a loved one, we know how painful it can be, please feel free to reach out to us, we will help all we can.

Hugs

Valerie

• sammy zone 7 Tulsa
    17 years ago

Thank you for sharing this with us. Janet, I am so sorry for your loss.

Sammy

• oldblush
    17 years ago

Thanks Carol for sharing this with us. I've thought of Janet and Mike often in the past few months.
    Janet you'll continue to be in my thoughts and prayers, I'm so sorry for your loss.
    Hamp

• ralf58
    17 years ago

I'm so sorry to hear of this. Janet, I'll be praying for you in this difficult time.

Ruth

• anntn6b
    17 years ago

Janet,
    I'm so sorry to hear of Mike's passing. You both remain in our prayers.
    Ann

• cajunrosegal
    17 years ago

Im sorry to hear about this, I know sorry dosnt cut it but I wish you all the help and support you can get. Im glad to say I got to meet you both at Jamies...DH will be much distressed over your loss. He was a good fellow.
    Love and hugs from us.
    Angela

• michaelalreadytaken
    17 years ago

Janet, I'm truly sorry for your loss. I'll be thinking of you.

MichaelAT

• paparoseman
    17 years ago

Janet we were all hoping for the best but sometimes that is not enough. I will be praying for you to get through this in the best way.

Lance

• irish_rose_grower
    17 years ago

Dear Janet, I'm sad to hear this news of your husband's passing. My prayers are with you and your family.

• theroselvr
    17 years ago

Janet, I'm very sorry to see he's reached the end of his fight. He's now at peace and no longer in pain. I know this will help you in the rough year ahead. He fought like heck, thankfully it bought him more time; more time which you will cherish. You and you're family will be in my thoughts. (((HUG)))

If you need an ear, email me.

• rosieredbud
    17 years ago

Oh, Janet, I'm so sorry. Jack and I really liked Mike so much. My prayers are with you and your kids.
    Love,
    Sis

• jennbenn
    17 years ago

I am so sorry for your loss, I hope you can find peace and comfort in your wonderful times together. Prayers for you and your family.
    jenn

• rozannadanna
    17 years ago

Oh, dear God. I have been totally out of the loop but Janet is a such a wonderful lady and her husband was a wonderful man. Janet, if you read this, even though I am late to the party as usual, my prayers are with you.

• janet_la
    17 years ago

Hi Everyone, just wanted to check in and let y'all know that I'm doing ok. I took this week off from work, both to rest some and to start tending to some of the many details that follow a death. God has been very gracious to our family through Mike's illness and death. The original diagnosis of melanoma was in Oct. 2003, and the reoccurance and spread to the lungs and adrenal gland was in May of 2005. During that time, we have had both hard times and really good times. Last year (2006) was a very good year for us - he was in a clinical trial that had almost NO side effects and that shrunk the tumors drastically.....that worked from March through September. Even though the October scan showed that the tumors were starting to grow again, he had no symptoms until early November and it didn't get bad until after Thanksgiving. Those 8 months from mid March through mid November were a gift from God - Mike felt good, went back to work part time, and we got to spend lots of quality time together. The last 7-8 weeks were difficult, but God used even those hard times.....as Mike got worse and withdrew more and more from us, we were also adjusting to the fact that even though he was sitll with us, he wasn't "with" us much. Even with him sleeping a lot and emotionally withdrawing and preparing to leave us, he perked up enough to hold and take pictures with his newest Grandson only two days before he died (Joseph Michael was born 4 days before he died, and stopped by on his way home from the hospital). We all figured that he was holding on to see the baby, and were not surprised that he left us so soon afterward. It really was a blessing that he went so quickly once things got bad...it was very difficult to watch him suffer.

Some of you know that this is the 2nd husband that I've lost - the first was to a car accident nearly 22 years ago. So, although the method was different, I've been through this before. The blessing in that is that I have a much different perspective on my life this time. Last time, I was 29 years old with 4 small children and couldn't imagine having a good life ahead of me. However, God had a wonderful life planned for me (19 1/2 years with Mike), and I know that he still has a plan for my life. I miss Mike, and know that there will be so many times that I want to tell him something and he won't be there - those times, and the Saturday mornings that we always sat on our patio drinking coffee, looking over the garden, and watching the squirrels, birds, and butterflies will be the hardest. Those times will also be the sweetest, because that's where I have so many precious memories to hold on to. Anyway, even though I know I have some difficult times ahead, I'm looking forward to moving on with my life and seeing what's ahead for me. As soon as the never ending rain goes away (I'm assuming that will EVENTUALLY happen, lol), I plan to get back out in my garden. It's already calling me :)))

I want to say thank you one more time to all of you who have walked through this with me and have been such an encouragement. Your prayers and support have meant much!

Janet