Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Miss America

Posted by littlesmokie Portland z8 (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 28, 08 at 13:53

It has been 15 years-more?- since I've watched Miss America, then I got hooked into the TLC show "Miss America: Reality Check." With declining interest/ratings, the TLC show promised to "modernize" the image of Miss America, get rid of the helmet hair, robot walk, to update her and make her into more of a contemporary role model for today's girls/women. The show mostly focused on red-carpet makeovers/looks and not as much on substance. Yet there did appear to be some role-model worthy contestants (e.g. Miss Utah, Miss Illinois, etc.) so I was interested to see if they actually had a shot at the Miss America title.

Talk about bait and switch! The winner, Miss Michigan, looked like a carbon copy of the previous year's winner. Her sparkled evening gown looked like an ice dancing costume, (I'm sure pageant co-host Clinton from TLC's "What Not to Wear" was itching to critique that look!)

Most importantly, I don't remember hearing a thing about her...e.g. what she dreamed for herself should she win the scholarship monies, etc. While I'm glad they dropped announcing a contestant's height/weight/measurements-What happened to learning about her goals and education, the issues she wanted to bring visibility to as part of her platform, etc.?

I have always found it insulting and anti-woman to maintain that beauty pageants are primarily a scholarship program when in the final analysis they judge the women first in their swimsuits.

Kudos to TLC for getting folks like me even talking about Miss America again, but I certainly won't bother to follow it again.

Did anyone else watch?
Dawn

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Miss America

I tried to watch but was blinded by all that lip gloss and teeth whitener, and also bothered by that lack of substance that you alluded to. I think we my just have to accept Miss America for what it is (fluff), and go on to other, more important things like the Real Housewives of Orange County. Just kidding!

Ingrid

o
RE: Miss America

I watched, and was unimpressed. A lot of blondes, the two African American women in the top 10 were axed, and the talent was the usual singing or ballet. I hated that they had the girls get all dressed up for talent and then axed two of them before they could perform. What was that about? I am sure the contestants are very intelligent women with a lot of accomplishments. I would have liked to hear about the accomplishments. BTW, another beauty contest was on....the USA figure skating championships. Interesting to switch between them.
Kathy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here