Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tomatoes and ``erbies''

Posted by pete41 9ab FL. (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 23, 07 at 17:42

Got mine planted and ready to go,really excited looking forward to cropping now that I am into rabbit food.ashamed to admit I am one of the few thats never grown a tomato.Hope they do better than the papaya did.Grew a nice tree,fruit ripened,cut open and full of worms.Ack
So how is spring planting going? Guess we are all gonna be vegans as feed corn going into our gas tanks.Chicken prices are supposed to escalate rapidly.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tomatoes and ``erbies''

How can you miss?
Being the PETE41 that you are?
I for one have all the confidence in the world in you.
(Especially, with Mrs 41 looking over your shoulders.)
Good luck, and all,
Irene

o

They are much easier than roses. Plant with chunks of alfalfa. Lay off the Miracle Grow until the fruits have set.

o

• Posted by msjean Z6..NS...Canada (My Page) on
    Wed, Jan 24, 07 at 10:49

I'll be expecting a bottle of home made salsa next fall that you will be making after you harvest your tomato crop :)

o

Can the tofu be far behind

o

My veggie garden is currently a muddy, sopping, frozen wasteland. So no planting yet for me. But I do a pretty good job of growing tomatoes when the time comes. Nothing like a big crisp cuke and a couple of tomatoes sliced up and dressed with some wine vinegar and good olive oil and a little salt and pepper. Yummmm!

Wah! Now you are making me long for summer even more that usual! Maybe Florida is in my future.
Kathy

o

Mine is the left over lettuces in the pot on the porch that finally froze last week. Won't even think of starting anything until next month.

Lettuces are really good and fast to grow, as are parsely and cilantro, which are cooler weather crops, you'll want them in the early spring before it gets blazing hot. Eggplant, ummmm!

o

Our tomato seeds & pepper seeds will be planted indoors in February. They like to spend sunny afternoons outdoors and 'sleep' in the house until mid April. Last year DH planted canteloupes in the back of my rose bed and of course they twined/climbed all over my roses. A box turtle ate the melons (he's a connoisseur, only takes a couple of bites from each melon before choosing a fresh one to taste). No melons this year!!! The peppers are fine companions for my no spray roses, the tomatoes impinge a bit but I can live with them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here