Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
irish_rose_grower

Ladies, what skincare products do you use and love?

irish_rose_grower
17 years ago

OK, I shelled out over 250 dollars and tried kinerase products. I got the:

gentle cleanser: about 30.

eye cream: about 75

c6 peptide something - about 75

moisture cream with spf 15 about 125

I've used for 3 wks, not a single change in my skin. No glow, nothing. I'm packing it up and returning it for a refund.

Does anyone use products that will actually make your skin look better?

My best friend's husband works for clinique/estee lauder. She tried all the very high end products. She gets these for free. Long story short....she buys avon:-)

Thanks

maureen

Comments (78)

• flowernay
    17 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I'm 42 and have spent the better part of 16 years working in the dirt (landscaping, veggie growing, rose nursery). Us "Po-folks" #1 thing is any sunscreen that smells more fruity, less "chemically" (SPF 40+). I use Tone soap and triple lanolin cocoa butter creme. Occasionally, I "splurge" and buy my fave, Burts Bees's carrot lotion.

I wear a hat in the summer. If I didn't wear a hat (in Texas heat) I had to use sunscreen to spray on my hair & scalp. If not, it smelled like "burned hair" when I took a shower.

• harryshoe zone6 eastern Pennsylvania
    17 years ago

C'mon Nay. I've seen your picture. You can't be a day over 29! In fact, in that picture, I thought I saw a guy carding you...

• carla17
    17 years ago

Harry, do you mean at the biker bar, LOL
    Should I post that picture again or will Nay want to get even.

Sorry Maureen!!

• irish_rose_grower
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Oh my, I forgot about this thread and haven't been here in a while.

Carla, don't worry. I think I've seen that pic before (isn't that when you guys all met up and went to a rose thing and then drank with the bikers?)

Harry - you are so funny. Bag over head products -- do they really work? :-0 lol

• flowernay
    17 years ago

Carla, I remember that day, but not that picture... will you please email pix of that day to me. :)

• oreo2363
    17 years ago

Obaji products are the best. i have tried many products to get rid of age/sun spots. I started with the Clear#3. It totally cleared my dark spots in about 1 month. After I saw how well it worked, I purchased the started kit from amazon.com. I promise this product works. it is expensive, BUT it lasts for about 5-6 months. Plus, I figure if it works, it works....I like how Obaji doesn't claim unrealisic claims. No cream will prevent wrinkles! Obaji really works.

• carla17
    17 years ago

Oreo, I have spoken to Betty from this forum about Obagi. I ran into a friend recently who's using it and her skin looked very good. The only problem is I feel like a brown spot magnet, like if I straightened my skin out, the minute I went out to swim for 10 minutes with sunscreen of 45, I would start spotting again. Does that make sense to you? I've been thinking of starting it but we are coming into spring/summer. For some reason, it doesn't seem to matter that I do try to keep sunscreen on, it's always getting sun through. I went as far as googling hydroquione and I know that's an ingredient.
    I'm glad to hear of your results. Betty was pleased with hers too. You can get some Obagi products on e-bay and other sites by googling.

Carla

• growingflowers
    17 years ago

I tried some samples from Elegant Minerals and now I'm hooked!

I didn't have to join a club with them. And my skin is much much clearer.

Now when my husband tells me I'm beautiful, I actually beleive him!

Here is a link that might be useful: Elegant Minerals

• dove_song
    17 years ago

My very favorite skincare products are the following:

(1) Country-fresh air. Plenty of that pure stuff, 'round here, at the foot of the Rocky Mountains. (North of Spokane, Washington.) Yep, the winters can be tuff here, but I absolutely love this area. And there is something about being out in the cold and snow, that just makes me feel sooooo good. Just gotta' dress for it.

(2) Drinking lots 'n lots of H2O.

(3) Eating sensibly.

(4) Sharing lots of laughter 'n love. And another big thing...thankfully, I'm blessed to have so many sweet friends 'n family members to share my deepest sorrows, and woes with. :-D

(5) Protection from the sun, such as appropriate cotton clothing to cover my skin, and various headwear, as it gets scorchin' hot, here, in the summertime. Also, it's arid in this little corner of the world, so I use basic stuff, i.e., cut-open vitamin E softgels" to trap absobed moisture (H2O) inside & next to my skin.

Guess that's about it...

Hope you all are having a great Sunday! :-D

Love 'n Hugs,
    Debbie/Dove Song

• dove_song
    17 years ago

Maureen, I just reread your question, and noticed I left out something. Yes, what I'm doing is working great, as strangers "flip out" when they find out my age.

I was laughing about this with my youngest brother, just last week. He too, gets the same thing a lot. People flip out when they find out his age. The ol', shocked look, & then, "You gotta be kidden! You're how old?!!!"

We both had huge laugh togeter, when I told him that one of my clients upon finding out my age said, "Honey, life sure has been good to you."

What my brother & I were laughing about, is that we have both lived through hellish ordeals on this planet, and we both look younger than we are. If I looked like what I've been through...

Yikes!

Debbie/Dove Song

• jones3g
    17 years ago

Has anyone tried Fraxel Laser Treatment. I would be interested to hear comments on results etc., Thanks
    Maureen

• katerosie
    17 years ago

Thanks to all for the info. I'm reaching 50 and believe in H20 and omega diet helps. I've used many products including a tint that had an ingredient that works as a muscle relaxant sold at CVS Pharmacy which worked while using it. Sorry can't remember the product name. However, since going through menopause I find my skin on my legs especially has lost elasticity, which is likely hereditary, so wish to hear input regarding this.
    Thank you so kindly,
    Katerose
    PS bless all of you and wishing all a wonderful rose growing season

• sammy zone 7 Tulsa
    17 years ago

I need to make a purchase again, and thought I would revive this thread.

Jean, I also like Mac. My lips are a problem, they no longer hold their line. Mac has a lipstick base that helps them keep from bleeding (speading bleeding, not bloody bleeding.)

I hated the taste of their lipstick at first, but then got used to it. They also have a stick for eyebrows with the eyebrow powder like Betty was talking about.

I called Dior in Dallas where I need to order it or else order online. My foundation is $46. My whole body likes Cetaphil lotion. I have been putting on the Cetaphil lotion at night and during the day without makeup for quite awhile. Today I used it for the first time under my makeup, and it seems just as good if not better than Dior. I did send for the Dior concealer to use around the eyes.

My dermatologist says that all of the skin care products are basically the same, and none will keep you from getting wrinkles or help you get rid of them. (We were not talking about surgery.)

Do you know of doctors that recommend expensive products?

I do feel that my Dior foundation and powder and better than some of the drugstore products,but I am not sure that I like spending the money for expensive moisturizers if they are no better than Cetaphil.

Sammy

• flawless_skin
    17 years ago

I use Kojic Acid based products that I bought in this website

http://www.arizona4pinoys.com/best-skin-lightening-and-whitening-product.html

I bought their set with soap, cream and lotion.
    Read the testimonials and you'll be encourage to buy.
    At first, I thought it's a bogus but yet I tried and I'm glad I did cause I'm very satisfied and it really works. wORTH IT!. It only cost me $34.99 + $5.99 (S&H) compare to other products that's not even working.

• janen
    16 years ago

For the face I like Purpose moisturizer with SPF 30 made by Johnson & Johnson. I get it at the drugstore - or even the grocery store has it. For dry hands & feet I LOVE Aspercreme. It's the best thing out there I think, and I've tried 'em all. Try it and see what you think.

• carla17
    16 years ago

Isn't Aspercreme for aches and pain? Oh well, if it works I'll try it.

Carla

• janen
    16 years ago

You're right Carla - it does say "pain relieving cream" but I discovered it by accident. It is the best thing for my hands and feet to keep them soft. I was trying it originally for my aching knees, feet, etc., then found that it was better put to use for dry skin - plus aching feet!

• theroselvr
    16 years ago

I recently bought 2 Avon face creams, one works better than the other. From memory one was over $20 which is expensive for me. Out of the 2, I like the ageless results better than the night cream

My hands are shot from being chemically burned years ago. I've tried just about every lotion there is. I ended up buying ponds cold cream for my daughter who didn't like it. I tried it on my arms and found that my hands got better after using it, so that's been my cream of choice lately.

• Molineux
    16 years ago

Interesting thread. I'm a guy so can't comment on cosmedics but there are a few things I use to improve the appearance of my skin.

Smith's Rosebud Salve - they make it here in Maryland. For years I had problems with cracked lips because of the antihistamines I take for my allergies. Nothing worked until I read about this stuff in a magazine. In two weeks it completely healed my lips, without any scaring, including an especially bad crack that I'd had for literally years. Can't recommend it highly enough.

Vitamin E, Lubriderm, Vasaline and Lavender - again because of the antihistamins my skin tends dry out. I've tried everything but the best body lotion is a homemade mixture of LUBRIDERM fragrance free daily moisture lotion (6 fluid oz.), one capsule of Vitamin E oil (buy a bottle of the vitamin at a local drug store, remove a capsule, slit it with a sharp knife, and squeeze out the oil), and a heaping tablespoon of good old fashioned vasaline. I put all three in glass jar and whisk with a plastic fork until light and fluffy. To enhance the anti-inflamatory action I add a couple drops of Lavender essential oil. Whisk again until totally incorporated. This concoction makes the most amazing cream that really locks in the moisture. You can also vary the amount of vasaline depending on the body part. I make a separate jar of "foot cream" with triple the amount of vasaline plus a few drops of Rosemary essential oil. I use it at night to keep my hooves from becoming hard and ugly.

Cold Milk - soak a couple of cotton balls in cold milk, lie back on a couch, close your eyes, and place the soothing pad on your lids for 15 minutes. Works better than cuccumbers at reducing red swollen eyes. Use whole milk as I've found that fat free milk a useless for this purpose.

Baking Soda - mixed with water to form a paste makes a finely abbrasive facial scrub that is good at digging out clogged pores without ravaging your face.

Lavender Water - add five drops of lavender essential oil to a bottle of filtered tap water. Screw on cap, shake vigorously, and place in a cool dark place for one week. Each day for shake the bottle for 15 seconds. After a week strain water through a coffee filter into a spray bottle. Makes a refreshing spray that leaves you lightly fragant. Also good for ironing linens.

Crabtree and Evelyn's Gardener's Hand Therapy Cream - my one big indulgence. I always keep a tube of it in my sachel. Good for hands, knees and elbows.

HOMEMADE FACE LIFT (i.e. facial)

1. Wash face with glycerine soap followed by a baking soda face scrub. Rinse with lukewarm water.

2. Throw 3-5 bags of Chamomile Herbal tea in a big pot of water and bring to a boil. Turn off stove. Lean over so your face is just above the rim of the pot. Cover head with a towel and steam face for 5-10 minutes.

3. Wip face with clean towel. Cover face with St. Ives clay mask and lay back on a couch for 15 mintues or until the clay has completely hardened. While resting cover eyelids with cotton balls that have been soaked in whole milk.

4. Rinse face with warm water until clay is completely remove. Follow with a cold water rinse, the colder the better. Mist face with lavender water.

5. Dry face and apply face cream of your choice.

This facial leaves your skin rosy pink and clean looking. The clay mask draws up the skin and takes years off the appearance of your skin. Unfortunately the tightening effect only lasts for about 6 hours. After that it all falls down like a London Bridge.

• msjam2
    16 years ago

I used to apply a lot of stuff on my skin, from Dior to Lancome to Shiseido etc.

But I finally realized that the less I use on my skin, the better, therefore I settled on these products:

Burts Bees lip balm, I think I have 6 of them, one by the bed, office, bathroom, in my bag and car.

Burt's Bees lotion
    Avalon Organics shampoo and conditioner
    Neutrogena face sunblock SPF 45- the non-greasy kind- LOVE THIS!
    Neutrogena facial wash
    Neutrogena spray on sunblock
    Burts Bees body soap or something similar

Once in a while, I'll whip up a face mask
    2 aspirin- crushed
    1 tblpn honey
    mix those two ingredients and apply on face, it's a great facial scrub.

Oh yeah.. Vit C serum, love that stuff.

• meredith_e Z7b, Piedmont of NC, 1000' elevation
    16 years ago

Wow, Patrick, awesome write-up! Thanks. And others who are giving tips, I'm still reading if not commenting each time; thanks!

I do have a report on my tip: now my sister has "gotten on" the DermalK, and she reports excellent results too! I was concerned that she likes a stronger moisturizer than I like to use, but it works for both of our preferences while adding the nifty-healy ingredients that are the main reason I highly suggest it.

• kathwhit
    16 years ago

Patrick, thanks for your detailed report. I am going to mix up some of the moisturizing cream this weekend. It sounds great.
    Kathy

• jessica25
    16 years ago

If you break out from using moisturizer, you probably have sensitive skin.
    There are any number of good over-the-counter products out there, but you'll have to experiment around to find something that will work for you.
    You might consider a dermatologist. I see one regularly.

I, personally am using some very fine products form Aslaskin, 'Day Lift Anti-Age Cream' and i am very pleased with the quality and effects. You can visit their site for more details.

Here is a link that might be useful: You may be interested

• carla17
    16 years ago

Hi Maureen, Hope you are good! I was shocked when I found out that my daughter's oral surgeon sells Obagi. I am totally convinced on Obagi if I could afford it. For me I want to try it and see if it really works, mainly on freckles and sun damage. Why does the sun have to feel so good. For years I used Erno Laszlo, (sp). I don't know about their line now.
    I was shopping last weekend and picked up a special from Clarin's. Clarin's is very good. Maureen, see if a Nordstrom near you has that special.
    BTW, I'm not overly impressed with Olay. Their cream didn't do a thing for my sun spots. I love the moisturizer by Kiehl's and their products are not $$$$.

Carla

• lionheart_gw (USDA Zone 5A, Eastern NY)
    16 years ago

Any skin care product that is not a peel or similarly fast-acting product requires a good 3 months of regular use to reach maximum benefit, although you should see some improvement in 4-6 weeks. Even some of the milder peels require multiple long-term treatments.

The best thing I've found for small lines, large pores, and uneven (sun-damaged) skin color are the prescription retinols. After that, MD Forte worked pretty well.

I've tried the affordable products like some of the Oil of Olay lines and others, but found them very ineffective. Most of the alpha and beta hydroxies you buy in the drug store don't contain enough acid to be effective. Most of them contain less than 5% of, say, alpha hydroxy, so they are very ineffective.

If you just need some moisture then any hydrating formulas will do the trick and also soften some small lines. Moisture/oil also reflects light so it will make small lines and large pores less noticeable for a while.

Haven't tried the Obagi.

• jessica25
    16 years ago

Has anyone else used Aslaskin products ?

• peachiekean
    16 years ago

Until now I've used Mary Kay with no problems. Then one of my nieces had some major changes in her life and needing to make money to support her 2 young children, began dog walking which then led somehow to signing on with Arbonne International, a cosmetic company that operates essentially like Mary Kay, with lots of incentives for those willing to make the effort.
    Anyway, I wanted to help her so I bought the starter kit which makes me an independent consultant too. Well, here is frecklefaced-dirty fingernail me doing this beauty regimen. Takes way too much time and we shall see how long I last. But I will say, it's nice stuff. I got the anti-aging product, formulated in Switzerland and manufactured right here in So. California. They do not test on animals, which I have since learned is a very unpleasant subject. Look up animal testing on the web for some interesting reading on Colgate-Palmolive, which seems to own every product we buy in our local stores.
    I really did this for my niece, not for my vanity. Who knows, maybe I'll be taken for 49 instead of 59. Not that I really care that much....

• zeffyrose
    16 years ago

Does anyone use Nivea products-------

Many years ago----1947 to be exact---I went to Powers Modeling school in NYC and they highly recommended Nivea products----I was wondering if anyone uses these products and how they stack up against some of the newer products in todays marketplace.

Over the years I've just always used whatever was on sale---I'm now 77 and the other day a new Dr. (before he checked my age) thought I was in my 50's----
    but of course maybe he needs new glasses---LOL

I'm always looking for new things to try-----Never too late you know---LOL

Florence

• msjam2
    16 years ago

Florence,my bestfriend uses Nivea moisturizing cream. She is 35 with 4 kids and her skin looks not a day older than 18, I'm not exaggerating. She has extremely dry skin so she uses Nivea nightly. I've tried it but I find it too thick and my skin reacted violently, major breakout!
    I stick with Skinceutical brand moisturizer and Vit. C serum now.

• zeffyrose
    16 years ago

Msjam---------

Nivea night cream is heavy--but I never reacted to it--but then I use all different creams-----I tried the Victoria Principal sample pack from QVC and I liked it but it is very pricey.

I just heard on the weather channel this morning that Vit C serum is good for the skin----I'll get some of it----can't hurt--LOL

Skinceutical is new to me but I also like a lighter cream so maybe I'll try it.

I was wondering if anyone uses EB5 cream-------????
    I've tried it and it is rather heavy----I've used so many different kinds I wouldn't be able to say which one is the best for my skin---LOL

A friend of my late Aunt who is in her early 80's uses it and her skin is gorgeous----

Florence

• jessica25
    16 years ago

FARMEC is in fact the site of the first anti-aging institute in the world.

• mjsee
    16 years ago

Late to the party...

But for body scrubs and moisturizers, I like The Thymes "Olive Leaf." Stuff smells like heaven on earth and leaves my skin soft and smooth.

Other than that...I wash my face with whatever is handy. And use burt's bees lip balm...and clinique cosmetics when I use cosmetics. Which isn't often.

Oh, and I LIVE in Coppertone's #50 Sport Sunblock. And a hat. I still end up tan...but I figure if I'm getting tan through # 50 block and a hat...then I'm meant to get tan.
    melanie

• jessica25
    16 years ago

Welcome, Melanie.. I am very amazed that you can get a tan through # 50 block and a hat :). You live on the beach?
    I am a BIG fan of the "Hydro-Active Anti-Cellulite Body Milk" from Aslaskin since i have some "orange" skin on my legs...
    Oh, and i woul never refuse a "Relaxing Massage Oil" used with alent by a handsome, strong, young male ;))

• mia0681
    16 years ago

Hi,
    You should try the products provided by Aslaskin. It is 100% naturaland the results are visible after 1-2 weeks of daily use.
    They are 3 specially designed products for antiaging. It's a line composed of 3 products:
    - Day Lift Anti-Age Cream
    - Night Lift Anti-Age Cream
    - AHA Anti-Age Cream
    Check the site:
    www.aslaskin.com
    Bye bye

• meredith_e Z7b, Piedmont of NC, 1000' elevation
    16 years ago

Cool! Cellulite isn't for sissies! Genetics, ya know? I was skinny enough for doctors to be quite worried and still had a coupla inches of cellulite on my upper thighs! Of course, exercise helps but only so much depending on the genes.

• belleza
    15 years ago

For knowing best skin care products and skin care treatments visit the following link www.tuimagenpersonal.com/contenidos/tratamiento.php. Here you can find a lot of tips for using skin care products.

Here is a link that might be useful: Est ica

• Jean Marion (z6a Idaho)
    15 years ago

I like the silky feeling of Olay regenerist daily regenerating serum.

• carla17
    15 years ago

I like Clarins but it is not cheap. I use an MD Forte cleanser and cream. I have tried L' Oreal gel eye cream. IMO, some skin care is over priced and other brands work as well.

Carla

• sirilucky
    14 years ago

Going green in beauty care has never been easier, Life is all about how you live it! It's about treating yourself well, both physically and mentally. Always remember that when inner beauty and self-confidence meet fun and flirty, everyone has a great time. I have very sensitive skin so I cannot tolerate any perfumes or chemicals. After shopping around on many organic beauty sites I have finally found one and tried Grateful Body Products. Their products are
    incredible. I've been really impressed with the products and they are "certified organic" so I know for sure what I'm getting. I found a great coupon for some here, just a little more than halfway down the page http://www.sustainlane.com/green-saver-discount-coupons/_gifts-flowers-candles. How do you all find using eco-friendly products for your skin?

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    14 years ago

I don't smoke or drink (don't even drink coffee or tea) and I've always stayed out of the sun since I have very light skin. I don't eat much meat but do eat a lot of fruits and vegetables. (On the other hand, I think dessert is a major food group.) I think I'm also genetically blessed since strangers have stopped me and told me how beautiful my skin is. My skin care is really simple though. I use Regenerist, L'Oreal eye cream and vaseline on my lips, even under lipstick, and Vaseline Intensive Care on my hands and body and that's it. I wash my face with soap and water, usually Neutrogena for sensitive skin. It takes off all the makeup too so I never use anything additionally. I like to keep it inexpensive and simple. That gives me more time and money for roses!

• sherryocala
    14 years ago

Don't smoke or drink either. And there's no question that desert is a major food group! :)) I use Olivia Care Olive Oil Soap on my face and in the shower - love the Verbena scent and all those suds! In the winter I don't need moisturizer. I buy it at TJMaxx. For 20 years I've used a Buff Puff on my face. For facial moisturer Jergens Skin Firming Lotion. I've used several others that I really liked, and every time I ran out and went to buy more, they were discontinued or had added obnoxious fragrance. How exasperating! I don't like the strong fragrance in the heavier duty "regenerating" lotions. I find that smiling works best on the Howdy Doody lines - hate those things! Can't bring myself to lay out $20 for a tiny little jar so I guess this is it.

Sherry

• carole1981
    14 years ago

I use Gamila Secret because it contains over 80% pure first pressing olive oil. It contains no preservatives or chemicals and is made of 100% plant-based ingredients.

Carole

Here is a link that might be useful: Gamila Secret

• jimmyread
    14 years ago

I have tried out Revitol for my wrinkles problems. And it had worked great for me. This very product is well packed with all the essential ingredients which helps in treatment of antiaging problems.

But aside from it you can also try out massaging with oil. Aloe vera is also very beneficial to treat skin related problems.

Here is a link that might be useful: Revitol

• janetageymang
    13 years ago

Hi there,

I am not sure if you can order it it in the UK, but I went over to Miami to stay with my cousin in June of this year (I am from Streatham in London) and she had been using a cream called Hydroxatone. I had previously used Crem De La Mere, but had to be quite frugal with it because of the expense.

Anyhow I have noticed good results with Hydroxatone, especially around my eyes, so I think I will stump up the international delivery fees and order it via Amazon.

Anyhow I have added a link below with a few reviews ect..

Hope this helps,
    Janet

Here is a link that might be useful: Hydroxatone face cream

• foreoki12
    13 years ago

I've been using the Olay Regenerist moisturizer with SPF 15 during the day, and the Regenerist night recovery moisturizing cream at night. I love them both, and you can't beat the price and availability. From what I've read they have as much of the alpha hydroxy acids as the pricier stuff. I'm only 31, so I'm using them mostly preventatively, but I've not had any bad reactions and even my husband commented on the nice perfume they have.

• leimei00
    13 years ago

I have recently invested on products from made from eart (madefromearth.com) and there working great till today.

• victoriajackson515
    13 years ago

I have ULTA sensitive skin...anything new I try will make me breakout, so I only choose skincare products from companies that are known to be good for people with sensitive skin. Now, daily I used the Made from Earth Green Tea Cleanser - and I do not use a moisturizer afterwards!

This is important because if you have zits, moisturizers are not recommended. So, after using the Green Tea Cleanser - I do not need a moisturizer (since it doesnt strip my skin). Love love love it and I recommend it for people who have zits and very sensitive skin.

• GWeaver05
    12 years ago

Wow. $250.00 for nothing? So sorry. Btw, I'm crazy about BB creams and NeuCell Skin Lightener right now. It's got natural fruit oils and is perfect for those uneven skin tones, sun spots, freckles and acne scars (NeuCell).

As for BB Creams, i don't know if you've already heard of it but it's a beauty product that's popular in the East and Southeast Asia. Make ups? No one can beat MAC for sure and as for facial cleansers, Olay does it best for me!

• TwinHadleys
    11 years ago

I LOVE Rodan and Fields! I just used soap before and had no idea what I was doing to my skin and pores. My large pores and random acne made me so self conscious. Now I don't even use foundation. I have NEVER had better skin!

• LionM
    9 years ago

I have used pure chimp products to have no skin problems any more. They are 100% natural and cost not much.