Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Keeping Busy In The Winter

Posted by harryshoe z6easternPA (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 25, 07 at 19:04

Looking at the garden just makes me depressed, so I have to come up with other ways to pass the time. Woodworking is one of those indoor hobbies I enjoy. I just finished our new 8 foot dining room table. DW wanted a table big enough for the whole family. With a trestle base. Overall we're pleased with the results, but a solid oak table that big is a bear to move.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Keeping Busy In The Winter

That is just gorgeous, Harry! It looks very nice in the room, too. I know what you mean about moving it, though. The 8' oak table my DH made years ago now resides in my eldest son's house. We moved that table through four different homes over the years but now it belongs to the young folks; they can horse it around with ease, LOL!

Anne

o

Over the years I did
model ships[wooden kits]
fly tying
painting military miniatures
reloading handgun ammo
oil painting[beatnik days]
working out
getting thrown off forums
only one I excelled at was the latter.
Since we really don't have winter here I have no indoor hobbies except this thing.
Into Yahoo messenger with voice-but need more contacts.

o

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Thu, Jan 25, 07 at 20:42

That's lovely - I invite you to bring your winter boredom here any time. Your table is similar to one I'd been looking at with a price tag of over $2000, chairs separate.

Happily for me, my sis in law remodeled and took out her dining room in lieu of a mega kitchen/great room. Her Duncan Phyfe with 4 leaves, 10 chairs needed a loving home and I took them. Not enough length to my own dining room to fully extend it, and I have one chair at a desk and one in a bedroom, but maybe someday :)

o

Harry- that is a work of art.
Pete- huh? Go to bed.

o

Beautiful work!

o

Wow! That is absolutely beautiful, I'd be really proud of myself if I could accomplish something like that. That's my one regret that they didn't offer girls woodshop in high school when I was young. Nowdays I'd cut something off if I attemted it, I'm a disaster with knives and my husband won't let me near his saws:)

o

Harryshoe--I'm impressed. Very professional looking.

I have an old dining room table with gothic carved legs--so heavy I can't even budge it. It only gets moved if there are at least two muscle-bound guys in the house.

Kate

o

Wonderful work Harry. You should be very proud of yourself. I have always loved tools of all kinds, esp. power tools and woodworking tools. I wish I had a shop to mess around in during the winter. You are putting the non-gardening time to good use.
Kathy

o

As a professional woodworker, I know good work when I see it, and that's GREAT work Harry.

BC:)

o

Thanks everyone. Pictures hide the mistakes. My woodworking is more primitive than antique. More solid than pretty. There is a great deal of satisfaction to make a unique piece that will be there long after I will be gone. Hopefully some family member will keep it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here