Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
One week out of school

Posted by sammy OK/7A (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 19, 07 at 22:50

One week today out of school!!!! We let out early last Friday, and still have ice. The ice was so thick that the snow removal equipment couldn't move it, so they brought in machines to chop it so they could clear the roads. For an entire week our yards, driveways, everything has been coated with ice.

Yet some cities have not had electricity, so I know I should not complain. That fact won't stop me because I have not been able to go anywhere for a week. We did dare to go to a store and a few places, but I must hold on carefully since it is so slick. Parking lots and shopping centers are very slick. Convenience stores that sell gas have gotten their lots clear, but even large grocery stores are icy.

Tomorrow the forecast is for 2-5 inches of snow and sleet. It was 6-9 inches, but they have reduced it. The fact is that nobody knows what is going to happen.

Our school factors in 3 snow days, but now we have had 6 (Monday was a holiday.) We are being told that all of this will have to be made up. Whenever it will be made up will be in the spring when I can get outside.

I have never realized how much I count on being outside everyday. I always walk the dogs besides working, and gardening. This has been terrible. Today I sorted catalogs, and threw out many, I cleaned the kitchen and rec room floors and cleaned the bathroom. We watched 2 moveies, and I worked about 4 sudokus.

So, how is your weather?

Sammy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: One week out of school

perfect-almost anyway-was rainy one day

o

• Posted by melva 7b/8aTX (My Page) on
    Sat, Jan 20, 07 at 21:32

Sammy,
it has been a week here, for ice, not much snow..but it has made the entire yard, a mud pit...and I need to go out and check on things...it has been too cold. The last couple of days it has been just rain..but we are predicted to have some snow tomorrow...no loss of power which I am very thankful for..
I have a bunch of newly rooted roses that are in a small greenhouse (no
heat, it is too small)I wonder how they are doing?)
I bet my Gallicas will do well this year!

o

Melva, I hope yours are ok. Pete, it looks like Florida is one of the few states that have not been badly hit.

Our 6-9 inches of ice, sleet, and snow turned into a little drizzle with temps no lower than 30. The streets are clearing, and I can even walk outside. I love a vacation from school, but a summer or spring one. Now they say that all days must be made up, and I hope they do not intend to touch our spring break. I also don't want to touch the June days we are out.

I do feel for those in California who have lost so much.

I usually don't fear losing power because for much of a day our temps are often over 30. We have gas into our fireplace, and could just gather in the living room with the dogs. But some people about 40 minutes from here have been out of power for a week, and have had temps that are very low. Even if there are shelters, I doubt if they take animals, and it could be a problem for us to leave our dogs alone in the cold.

Sammy

o

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Sun, Jan 21, 07 at 16:55

The weather here? The house is becoming absolutely immaculate. That should tell you.

o

We had a few days out of school ourselves, but are back again now. Mostly it was frozen rain that made the roads slick. This morning is is cold again, but no rain. It was 27 when I walked Freddy this morning and he couldn't wait to get in and lay on my bed while I was showering. Hope you all are surviving. This frozen rain and snow in the south is so difficult.

Kathy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here