Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Does this make sense to anyone?

Posted by irish_rose_grower z7 LI NY (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 29, 07 at 22:51

I was looking for wisteria and came across an online source I"m not familiar with. (bloom river).

I sent them an email asking them if they had any wisteria trees (standards) and I also asked them what was the reason for 99% of their wisteria being grafted (they had many different types and almost everyone of them was grafted).

Now I know why we have grafted roses, but wisteria is so "weed-like" that I was wondering why it would need to be grafted. Here is their response to me:

"Except for the Wisteria sinensis, which we do from cuttings, all are grafted to assure 2 things. 1) Grafting assures that the cultivar name remains true (think of it as the "blood" line. and 2) Grafted wisterias bloom much sooner than other forms of propagation"

The first part of this response makes no sense to me. Does anyone get it?

I guess I should have asked what they are grafted onto.

Thanks
Maureen

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Does this make sense to anyone?

GEE I dont know but whiteflower farms carries Tree wysteria

o

Part 1 means asexual reproduction verses sexual reproduction. Why grafting instead of growing from cuttings... maybe wisteria cuttings don't root well (yeah, that does seem hard to believe).

o

Labrea - Yes, I've seen it at whiteflower farms, but 150.00 plus shipping seem very pricey.

cecily - thank you. Thanks for the info on asexual vs. sexual reproduction. I'm still a bit confused, because I know when i get a grafted vs. own root they are the same rose. Is this different with wisterias?

Thanks
Maureen

o

In Houston there was always a great gnashing of teeth at non-blooming wisteria and the assorted thing people would do to try to coax a massive in the ground tree to put out blooms (I got lucky, mine bloomed without my turning to extraordinary measures).
For the price that wisteria trees sell for, I would expect them to guarantee that the scions are from blooming stock.
And that the rootstock is a cultivar that isn't as prone to suckering.

o

The only reason I would think that a wisteria would be grafted, if it is a standard, is to keep it from suckering and turning into a massive vine.

o

Thanks Ann. I found a company who has so many wisteria, I can't wait to read up on them and see which one I will get. the company with the largest inventory so far is bloom river. they have about 15 different types. None are standards, but I can train one into a standard.

Beerhog - I was wondering if that is why it is grafted, to keep it from suckering and turning into a massive vine. But that was not part of the suppliers response, so I was confused about that.

o

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Fri, Feb 2, 07 at 22:06

I'm still digging beast Wisteria out. It sent roots bigger than my wrist everywhere, including several feet under concrete and up into a raised bed.

Enjoy.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here