Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I waltzed across Delaware,Yesterday

Posted by pete41 9ab FL. (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 5, 07 at 8:40

Or could have if I still lived where I grew up.The narrowest part was nine miles[that was a couple of miles south of our house].Yesterday I did a nine and a half mile sunday morning walk.Fran and I did another couple miles in the afternoon.
My point is that it would have been unthinkable when I was a kid.Anything more than a mile and we called the folks or hitched a ride.People talk about how lazy we have become but I don't recall people walking any more then.As teenagers we lived for the time we could get cars.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I waltzed across Delaware,Yesterday

was it all uphill through the snow?? LOL at the changes as we age - I rode my bike everywhere as a kid and now drive the same distance without a second thought. Spoiled, I guess.

o

Until I was old enough to drive, I rode my bicycle all over town and outside of town too. And I remember actually running home from school--just for the sheer pleasure of running in the wind. After I got a car, I used to move the car from store-to-store when I shopped down town--how lazy can you get! Then shopping malls came along--car way out somewhere in a crowded parking lot and me walking and walking from shopping mall store to shopping mall store, up and down several levels. Strange--that is about the only good thing I can think of about shopping malls--forced us to get more exercise than many of us were used to. LOL

I do admire your 10 mile hikes, Pete, but don't think my hip is up to it any more. Sigh.

Kate

o

There was'nt always a lot to do in the Summer growing up we did a lot of walking and I still do back permitting. Only problem was once we hit being teens a group of 4 or 5 walking together always drew suspicious looks in The Bronx or opportunities to be chased by other groups of teens when passing through the their neighborhoods (territories). Won't be walking more than a half mile today to and from PT it is coooooold out there!

o

Pete:

If it stays this cold, you will be able to skate across the Delaware River soon!

o

Everyone should walk more. Problem is, walking takes time. If you still work, and have other responsibilities like ageing parents, that time just dosen't exist. So I go through life fat and tired.

o

Up in the morning a half hour earlier and go boy.Walking or biking grow on you.They bring out the endor???? which makes you feel good about yourself.Do it.Two years ago right after my operation I couldn't do a hundred yards and just before the slicing angina limited me to that much.Go,go and no excuses.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here