Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jody_gw

Fianlly, I can put the toilet seats down.

jody
17 years ago

So all three fur kids drink out of the toilet - one dog two cats. The kitten, Lola, better know as Kitler or Kittle learned from the big cat, Baxter - both are humane society rescues.

The toilet seat lids (both) had to stay up all the time because Baxter stirs the water vigorously before he'll drink. He manages to thoroughly wet the seat if its down (I don't want to tell you how often I scolded the male members of the household before I caught Baxter in action).

Then Baxter had two paws infected with staph. My nurse MIL mentioned that maybe the toilet wasn't such a good idea with his "stirring" habit.

Went to PetSmart and purchased a bubbler - holds 2 gallons which you need because the dog can slurp down a lot of water. Baxter accepted this as a good source of moving water and I ran around the house ceremoniously closing all the toilet seat lids.

Now I just have to retrain the men!!!

Comments (9)

• anntn6b
    17 years ago

Good one.
    Elf, our pensioner (oldest)(half-feral on her mother's side) cat is spending much of this winter in the downstairs bathroom, next to the mudroom which has large doors so she can see outside. She's happier that way.
    But we gave her her own indoor water bowl after I saw her climbing into the toilet and standing spread eagle in the toilet bowl to drink...just like she'd stand outside over a puddle.

• meredith_e Z7b, Piedmont of NC, 1000' elevation
    17 years ago

LOL. Congratulations ;]

I thought I was crazy cos my cats required a faucet drip of a certain rate...seriously. Then I visited my dad's with my brother's old cat, now dad's, and was told not to use a certain sink because I'd mess up the cat's drip!

• carla17
    17 years ago

Jody, I got a laugh out of Baxter stirring the water. You train those males! Go girl.

Carla

• harryshoe zone6 eastern Pennsylvania
    17 years ago

Did anyone see the video about the family that hired plumbers to determine the cause of their water leak? Their water bill was so high that they were sure there was a serious leak. One day the guy was home ill and kept hearing water sounds downstairs. He found the family cat happily flushing the toilet and playing in the water as it swirled down. He filmed it flushing away, over and over.

• michaelalreadytaken
    17 years ago

Harry,

I did see that video on Google and it is one of the funniest things I've ever seen.

Thanks for reminding me about it.

Michael

Here is a link that might be useful: Cat FlushingToilet

• harryshoe zone6 eastern Pennsylvania
    17 years ago

Very Good MAT. Everyone should see that video.

• kittymoonbeam
    17 years ago

My friend had a cat that knew how to turn on the kitchen faucet. Finally, she bought a tabletop fountain and set it on the floor. Some kitties just want their own brook. The pet flowing water dispensers are great and many come with filters too.

• jody
    Original Author
    17 years ago

kittymoonbeam, I had one of those fountains for awhile. Great for the kitties, the dog would lap it dry in three gulps and then you had a fountain problem. The bubbler has a much larger capacity. I had a cat, PIB, now deceased who would only drink running water. We did the sink thing until I bought the fountain.

The current "big cat" is the one who stirs in the toilet inspiring the purchase of the bubbler, because apparently he's happy so long as it moves.

The little cat will drink out of a bowl. The dog will drink out of anything. No lack of individuality here.

• don71
    11 years ago

I bought a white Flipsit for our first floor bathroom. It's a great idea. This will make my germophobic family members very happy! A detachable version for travel would be most welcome.

I just installed the Flipsit in my first floor bathroom. It's made of a durable and tough plastic so it should be difficult to break. Installation was simple - included with the Flipsit are detailed instructions, alcohol swab, and a drying pad.

My wife says this would be great for a house with a male toddler.

On the front of the packaging it says 'Antimicrobial'. If this is just a general advertising appeal that's fine. If, however, the Flipsit is actually made of an antimicrobial plastic then this feature should be mentioned more prominently in the marketing material.

Here is a link that might be useful: Flipsit