Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Any interest in setting up a rose wiki?

Posted by michelle_co z5 CO (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 11, 07 at 10:06

Hi,

I have been thinking about setting up a rose wiki. DH is an ISP, so I have a server co-located in phone company facilities that could host it.

Anyway, I thought it might be useful to create some living documents about topics that come up over and over. It also might be useful to collect the comments about varieties of roses in one spot. Especially since we have such a wide range of growing experiences from people across the country.

Is anyone interested in participating???

Cheers,
Michelle

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Any interest in setting up a rose wiki?

Hi Michelle, sounds really interesting, but I am not such a computer techie, can you explain in a little more detail - (skuse my ignorance).

o

• Posted by roselvr Burlington Coun (My Page) on
    Mon, Feb 12, 07 at 6:56

Why would you have to host it?

Here is a link that might be useful: Wiki - wikipedia

o

Michelle, there is so much knowledge on these forums, I know the feeling of wanting something like this! More structured than the posts here.

Unfortunately, my plate is very full. More power to you, though, and I'm sure I'd enjoy the results!

o

Hi,

MoodyBlue - a wiki is a sort of encyclopedia of information, however, it's written by consortium rather than expert authors. So, basically we could allow everyone on the forum to contribute. It allows for auditing and updating the information that gets posted... For example, currently if you are looking for blackspot treatments on this forum, you can search the rose forums one by one and read each post. A wiki would have an entry for blackspot, and everyone could post their information in one place. It would organize informational topics better... Just think 'online encyclopedia'.

Roselvr, the usefulness of hosting a wiki is that it's very specialized. All the topics would be on roses, so searches would ONLY bring up rose related information. That's the whole reason Wikipedia distributes their software for free. I use some smaller wikis alot for other projects, and it's cool having living online encyclopedias. Currently, if you search the main Wikipedia encyclopedia for rose topics or even planting topics, you may or may not get useful information. Searching for Blackspot brings up the Blackspot Anticorporation. Totally not garden related.

Meredith, I also think it would be useful, but it's not a project I could tackle by myself, either. I may setup a sample page or two and post the link back for people to look at. That might at least give folks an idea of what we could do.

Cheers,
Michelle

o

A sample is a great idea. I only became aware recently that wikis are open for editing.

I have to limit the amount of time on the PC because of my back, but if it's easy I bet I'll add a few pointers once in a while.

o

• Posted by roselvr Burlington Coun (My Page) on
    Tue, Feb 13, 07 at 15:53

Didn't realise wiki distibuted the software, I thought it was one site.

Before taking on something this time consuming. How different would it be then say Help me find?

o

I didn't even know what a wiki is. Sounds intersting to me Michelle.

o

Michelle, thank you so much for taking the time to explain "wiki" to me. I now believe that I have come up with this name when searching the web but not realizing the true make-up. Anyway sounds like agreat idea to me. I think it would also be nice for people in the more extreme climate zones to be able to refer and have an ongoing list of roses that work with their temperatures.
Thanks - I hope it can work.
Pauline - Vancouver Island

o

I googled RoseWiki and found this conversation.

I hope you will be happy to know that this has come true. We are very much in the beginning stage of transferring all data from our current encyclopedia to the RoseWiki.

The webpage that it will be on is www.roseweb.co.za

Should you like to contribute - you are most welcome.

Please see the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: RoseWiki

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here