Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carla17_gw

Prayers please

carla17
17 years ago

I'm asking for prayers for my daughter Natalie. She has a very bad case of Mono and is extremely sick. I'm trying to get her admitted to the hospital today, she can't swallow. I would appreciate any people who do pray to say one for us.

Thank you,

Carla

Comments (25)

• pagan
    17 years ago

carla: Done deal! I hope she feels better soon!

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    17 years ago

Carla, I'm so sorry.

My niece Hannah (15) just went through this in October, missed a month of school. Her throat was so painful the doctors prescribed vicodin and prednisone - bacterial tests kept coming up negative so nothing an antibiotic could help.....first time I knew mono could cause that kind of discomfort.

Hang in there. And prayers of course for Natalie, I know how miserable she must be. (((((((Natalie)))))))

• debrazone9socal
    17 years ago

A hug and a kiss (virtual, so it's okay) to you and to beautiful Natalie. I never had mono, but I remember how sick a couple of my friends were, as teens, when they had it. She has my utmost sympathy, and I hope she gets well right away!!!

And you have my sympathy, because you are going to have a teenager stuck in the house for several weeks. Buy her some craft kits (like the ones where you make your own soap or lipgloss) and keep the door closed.......

Debra

• User
    17 years ago

Will offer prayers

• bettym_grow
    17 years ago

I will pray for Natalie. I caught mono. when I was 33, married w/ 3 toddlers at the time. No fun:( She will bounce back don't worry!!:) She'll probably be very tired for some time but she will be back to normal before you know it. Will pray for quick healing:)
    Betty

• kathwhit
    17 years ago

When I was in college (many years ago) I caught Mono and was so sick I lost my period. My poor mother thought I was pregnant and took me for a test. Thank goodness it was negative! So I went through a horrible illness and emotional trauma all at once. I feel for you and your daughter. You both have my prayers.
    Kathy

• athenainwi
    17 years ago

How awful. I hope she starts feeling better soon. When I was in junior high I had mono and was sick for a month and missed a lot of school. And once I started to get better I came down in strep!

• irish_rose_grower
    17 years ago

Carla, I'm praying for your daughter to feel better. I feel for you, I worry when my son is sick and I'm sure your worried for your daughter Natalie.

Please keep us updated on how she is doing.

Hugs,
    Maureen

• sammy zone 7 Tulsa
    17 years ago

Oh, no, Carla. They will take good care of her, and she will be fine soon. Isn't it strep that goes along with mono? Antibiiotics will really help.

I knew she was sick, but not that bad. Please keep us informed.

Sammy

• meredith_e Z7b, Piedmont of NC, 1000' elevation
    17 years ago

Prayers from here, Carla. Make sure she rests and doesn't try to do too much.

I hope you can get her throat feeling OK today. The hospital is good, but even an Immediate Care type place would help [maybe a prednisone shot?] Let us know how she's doing, and I hope y'all don't get that snow moving in tonight!

• AnneCecilia z5 MI
    17 years ago

Sorry to hear your daughter is so sick, Carla. I'm also sending along my thoughts and prayers. Hopefully by this time she has received some good care and that her throat is feeling better.

Anne

• carla17
    Original Author
    17 years ago

You all are the best!! We ended up going to urgent care where she had two IV bags with steroids and more antibiotics. Antibiotics to guard against infection. They also drew blood. We came home and she ate something, she knows if she doesn't drink it means more IVs. The doctor gave her a lollipop that numbs the throat. You only use it for 2-3 seconds and can't eat or drink for an hour after that, possible aspiration with a numb throat. If she could just get over the severe throat pain, she would be better.
    Maureen, when we were at ER Fri. night, they gave her steroid injection, antibiotic injection and a steroid script. Last night I was so worried I made her sleep with "mom".
    Thank you all so very much.

Carla

• anntn6b
    17 years ago

Carla,
    Hugs and prayers for you both.
    Ann

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    17 years ago

Carla, when niece Hannah was at her worst (and there were a few days fitting that category), my brother moved upstairs and Hannah moved into their bedroom with her Mom. She went from an independent teen who knew everything while mom knew very little of importance, to not wanting Jeanne out of her sight.

You may become an expert at smoothies...hope you have a blender or food processor. Temporary rules for nutrition - anything that sounds appealing to her any time of day or night, just so it has some calories.

Sending positive thoughts your way :)

• beerhog
    17 years ago

Do not think I have ever had Mono but sound like what I went through with what they call a upper respirtory infection. Went on for a couple of weeks of vomiting and could not eat and found out that it was the antibiotic I was allergic to that kept me sick. Hope all comes out OK.

• michelle_co
    17 years ago

I am glad you have a diagnosis and that she is getting the medical care she needs. Don't forget to take care of yourself and manage your stress level as much as possible.

Sending positive thoughts...

HUGS,
    Michelle

• zeffyrose
    17 years ago

Prayers coming your way----It is always such a worry when our babies are sick no matter how old they are---My daughter was 16 when her father died and she was very sick with Mono---It was a tough time for her----a double whammy ----emotional and physical.
    Hope she is well soon.

Florence

• petaloid
    17 years ago

Gosh, I had that 40 years ago and still remember how painful it was. I'm sending good, healing thoughts her way -- keep us posted!

• moodyblue
    17 years ago

Dear Carla, so sorry to hear about your daughter. I am sure she is in good hands and will be OK. It is a worry, I know as one can be very sick with it. Worked at a lab for 22 years and would see lots of mono patients, but medical attention and treatment right away goes a long way. Unforturnately it can takes a long time to heal and sometimes just a few weeks (hope that is the case). As it mostly affects teens it is a worry missing so much school, but the main thing is that you do all the right things and ride it through. I hope she has as speedy as posible recovery and is soon without pain I know she will be feeling very tired and weak for a while, but will soon rebuild her strenght. In England when I lived there, it was called "glandular fever", so I could not figure out what this "mononucleosis" was that people talked about - in north America we tend to use the correct medical terminology more and the short form "mono".
    Please do not think I am making light of this, I know there can be complications and I hope and pray with my heart that your dughter's case will take a normal route without any complications. Good luck. I am thinking of you. Please keep us updated.
    Hugs, Pauline - VI

• theroselvr
    17 years ago

Carla, sending you two a hug. Hope she's feeling some what better & not driving you nuts :)

• paparoseman
    17 years ago

Carla I hope she is doing better. I had it when I was a youthful 30, three weeks off from work and the doctor found there was hepatitus trying to get in with it. Luckily when I was in the army I was given a shot to protect against it. The doctor told me not to do anything because my liver was enlarged and my blood chemistry was all wrong so that one good hit and I would bleed to death. Needless to say I did nothing during the time the doctor told me to do nothing.

She will be fine, just make sure she does what the doctor says and when she feels better do not get back to activites to soon.

Lance

• meredith_e Z7b, Piedmont of NC, 1000' elevation
    17 years ago

I hope all is well on the homefront, Carla. Lots of rest and hugs.

• vikingqueenz5b
    17 years ago

Carla, I'm so sorry about Natalie. Though none of my children ever had mono, my friends daughter had it, and was so sick. It took a while for it to be diagnosed.

You certainly have my prayers for your girl.

Love,
    Brenda

• carla17
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks everyone. We, the doctor and I think she had/has strep in combo with the Mono. Oh my. The doctor told me he had seen 15 cases of strep yesterday.
    I appreciate your kind words and prayers.
    I'm going out to lunch tomorrow with a friend, DH will be home and I need a break.

Carla

• theroselvr
    17 years ago

Enjoy the break. Wish I could join you.