Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Not Pink Floyd

Posted by carla17 Z7 NC (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 19, 07 at 12:35

Since there were so many responses on the PF post I decided to do a different one. I know we've done this before but we have some different people now so. Name some of your old favorite music you used to listen to but may still enjoy.
I grew up with an older sister who had 45's so I did like the 4 Tops, Temptations, etc. but liked them later.
I listened to Jefferson Starship, Eagles, Jackson Browne, Mott the Hoople, PF, Beatles Yellow Sub, Uriah Heep(sp), Bob Dylan, Emmylou Harris. I went into country for a while too but am a die hard rock fan. Then it was Bob Seger, Billy Joel, Stones, and of course BRUCE. The name escapes me of who did the song with Get your motor running but I liked them too. Who did you like?

Carla

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Not Pink Floyd

Just rebought Uriah Heep Salisbury about 6 months ago was a little disappointed the memory was better than rehearing it. Mott The Hoople David Bowie T Rex King Crimsom, Procul Harum, Emerson Lake and Palmer The Stones, Traffic and Cream reigned Supreme in my neighborhood as did Mountain (Theme from an Imaginary Western played by too many basement bands) Jeff Beck, Joan Baen Joni Mitchell, Led Zepplin, TheMc 5, Janis Jopin, Jimmy Hendrix, still Play Jethro Tull's Aqua Lung quite a bit yet I also listened to Sinatra Ellington Judy Garland Tony Bennett Opera and Clasical. A woman I grew up with Cathy Russell she was back then wound up moving from basement bands to cabarets, to singing back up with Bowie and Jackson Browne travelling the word with them did her own performance at The Kennedy center 2 weeks ago...she sent me this link boy was I thrilled to hear this mature voice yet I could still hear the street corner in the bacj of my mind from 35 years ago

Here is a link that might be useful: Catherine Russell Kennedy Center

o

I knew you might remind me of more Joe. T Rex rocked didn't he. Also the Who was good. Oh my gosh, my first concert thanks to my sister, Deep Purple. I think I was only 15 or 16. She wasn't the best influence.
Hope your back is improving!
Can't wait till Harry posts.

Carla

o

Get Your Motor Runnin'........Born To Be Wiiiiiiiild - wasn't that Steppenwolf? (sp)

I have most of Joe's on my list. I always loved the folk rock and country rock sounds. Favorites are the Grateful Dead, Eagles, Neil Young, Crosby/Stills and Nash, Simon and Garfunkel and Bob Dylan. Any of which can still be heard in my garden on any sunny weekend afternoon.

Blues are good too with Stevie Ray Vaughn, Allman Bros., Albert King, etc.

o

Oh and almost anything Soul

o

Heard this on the radio a while ago, love it.

"What Is And What Should Never Be"

And if I say to you tomorrow. Take my hand, child, come with me.
It's to a castle I will take you, where what's to be, they say will be.

[Chorus]
Catch the wind, see us spin, sail away, leave today, way up high in the sky.
But the wind won't blow, you really shouldn't go, it only goes to show
That you will be mine, by takin' our time.

And if you say to me tomorrow, oh what fun it all would be.
Then what's to stop us, pretty baby. But What Is And What Should Never Be.

[Chorus]

So if you wake up with the sunrise, and all your dreams are still as new,
And happiness is what you need so bad, girl, the answer lies with you.

[Chorus]

Oh the wind wont blow and we really shouldn't go and it only goes to show.
Catch the wind, we're gonna see it spin, we're gonna...sail, little girl
do do do, bop bop a do-oh, my my my my my my yeah.
Everybody I know seems to know me well
but they're never gonna know that I move like hell.

o

So why not a music swap? Yahoo messenger[free] easy to send.

o

I think if there are any copy rights involved it's illegal!

o

Pete,

I can picture you in the 60's...hair down to your waist...totally wiped out...listening to Jimi Hendrix...volume on high...revvved up to 78 RPM's.

Far Out.

o

OH oh, one of my most favorite of all Funeral For A Friend by Elton John. Too cool.

Carla

o

Wrong-crew cut-bodybuilder-square from Delaware.

o

Carla, that's an old Led Zeppelin song...

o

I play this at least every other month by my boys from Procul Harum off the same Album as whiter Shade of Pale called Pilgrim Progress.

I sat me down to write a simple story
which maybe in the end became a song
In trying to find the words which might begin it
I found these were the thoughts I brought along
At first I took my weight to be an anchor
and gathered up my fears to guide me round
but then I clearly saw my own delusion
and found my struggles further bogged me down
In starting out I thought to go exploring
and set my foot upon the nearest road
In vain I looked to find the promised turning
but only saw how far I was from home
In searching I forsook the paths of learning
and sought instead to find some pirate's gold
In fighting I did hurt those dearest to me
and still no hidden truths could I unfold
I sat me down to write a simple story
which maybe in the end became a song
The words have all been writ by one before me
We're taking turns in trying to pass them on
Oh, we're taking turns in trying to pass them on

o

ROCK for me for sure. Does not take much of a familiar song and there are many I love. Turn up the volume and I am off dancing around the house.

One CD I am playing mostly at the moment is a new Rod Stewart one, of "other's" hits. Have not got access to it at the minute, but when I do, I will let you know the title. Well worth having. It motivates me to get on with my day and work everytime I put it on.

Pauline - VI

o

As kids, our parents played the beatles, moody blues and all kind of folk rock. Now I play them more than they do. My guy and I like all the 80's stuff and we were going to Oingo Boingo concerts from when they played college gyms all the way to their huge concert venue days. The Halloween show was always the best. I remember being squashed next to the stage, just in front of a wild mosh pit watching Danny play his funky carved xylophones. He was always fun to watch and seemed slightly insane. I loved the big size of the band and the energy. Thoes first years were the best. A few years back I saw blue oyster cult and was glad I did. Aerosmith puts on a great show too.
Then there was the time I was dating a guy in college who loved Metal. We saw all thoes 80's metal bands- Judas Priest, Ratt,Quiet Riot, Van Halen, Stryper, Def Leppard,and so many others. I liked a local band called Kixx- metal concerts of the 80's were so much fun. Everybody had long hair and spandex. All the girls had big hair and teeny weeny skirts and high heels. Or else, you just wore your jeans and a rock and roll t-shirt.

The band I love to listen to but never saw is Queen. God rest you Freddy Mercury, no one can sing like you did.

Kitty

o

In addition to all the above, I love the southern rock bands like Lynard Skynard, the Alman Bros. and 38 Special. But my fav. southern rock band is the Florida guitar army......." The Outlaws". They had 3 wonderful guitarists, and great harmonizing and songwriting. Take a listen to their best album (IMHO) Lady in Waiting....Wow!

I also love the Doobie Bros. all the way from the beginning (Listen to the Music) through the Michael Mcdonald years (What a fool Believes) to the present day. I have seen them in concert many times. I love watching Tom Johnston play rhythm guitar. I just got his two solo albums from the early 80's. Great stuff.

Thanks for starting this thread....music is my life!
Kathy

o

Left Out The Clash, Talking Heads, Leyna Lovitch, Adam and The Ants, Siouxse and The Banshees, LOU REEED dare I say Black Sabbath, Spooky Tooth, Brian Eno...Fatboy Slim (Fatboy really annoys EDD as much as my opera or Baroque music)! A lot of Rufus Wainright and Moby (what can I say)

o

Hey Kathy!

High Tides and Green Grass!

o

Seattles big group, Heart, Eagles, Fleetwood Mac, ABBA, Steely Dan, The Cars. We used to listen to the radio on the school bus which was an AM radio. It was fall 1974 just as Elton John was starting his string of hits, he had some hits before that but the streak really got going in late 74 and all of 75. Paul Macartney and Wings were getting hits left and right. Let em In, Silly Love Songs Juniors Farm.

Lance

o

• Posted by roselvr Burlington Coun (My Page) on
    Thu, Feb 22, 07 at 7:41

Cathy Russell - I read something about her within the last year in one of my mags.

Gregg Allman is my fave. Wish he was 20 years younger!

Wow, so many bands - Outlaws, long time since I heard that name. Marshall Tucker another goodie. Janis is my all time fave chick, along with Blondie, Pat Benatar.

It all depends on my mood. I have a large collection of tapes, vinyl has been packed away due to no player. There's so many tapes I'd like to replace with CD's. I was listening to my Priest tape a few weeks ago & had to turn it off, the quality was that bad. I was so into listening to screaming for vengance loud, but it never happened.

Anyone listen to Pantera?

o

My favorite all time song is Saturday, In the Park, I think it was the 4th of July...who performs that? I forgot. Brings back sweet childhood memories in Cleveland Oh. on a sunny day every time I hear it. It was during the 70's man, so groovy!

Remember Dust in the Wind? How about Paradise By the Dashboard light? that was Meatloaf, I just heard that again the other day while I was waiting for my kids at swim practice & I was appalled by the words! LOL we use to sing that song out loud when we were 13 or 14! Now I will turn it off so my kids can't hear the lyrics! too racy.
I like Annie Lennox & Eurithmics, Prince, Eagles, Peter Gabriel, GENESIS!!when Phil Collins was still with them, Depeche Mode, Michael Stanley Band a local Cleveland area Band, Led Zepplin, Boston, but I also listen to classical, opera, I love C. Bartolli the Italian opera diva, I also love love Salsa, bolleros, since I am Cuban, I saw Celia Cruz live once, I also love Indian (Hindi) dance club music especially when on the treadmill or cooking. HOT!

Oh, my kids do like Pink Floyd Carla! Especially the one who's lyrics say "We don't need no ed-u-ca-tion, we don't need no thought control...what a fun thread!

o

Oops I forgot to mention Queen! they are one of my faves! Eddie Mercury is amazzzzzing! His range is awesome! The spandex pants he wore is another issue...

o

It was Freddie Mercury......but I know what you mean. Those outfits in the 80's were not flattering to anyone. Those great big shoulder pads for women and those puffy pants on men. Yuk.

Saturday in the Park was "Chicago". What a great band. They had so many hits!

Yeah Harry.... Green Grass and High Tides forever. But my fav. Outlaws song is "Prisoner". The band I play with and do sound for performs that song and they do it just like the Outlaws did. Wonderful to be right in the middle of all that music. We are playing tomorrow night for a wedding reception. Should be a fun party.

I just downloaded Michael McDonald's album "No Lookin' Back" from iTunes. After my husband died in 1987 I listened to it over and over. I used a song from it "Our Love" for my wedding to my current DH. Its so nice to listen to it again.
Kathy

o

Kathy, did you get an e-mail the other day from me?

Carla

o

Carla, yes I did get an email fom you about the Pink Floyd song. When I went to gardenweb, I saw that you had an answer to your question, so I didn't respond to your email. But it came through just fine. Feel free to write anytime and I will answer this time!
Kathy

o

Ah yes Led Zepplin...........They told us in school that it was the devil's music. So then the boys would sneak out the record before class and we would listen to Stairway to Heaven every morning before the teacher got there to start the pledge to the flag and the morning prayer. I still remember the sneaky thrill we had every time I hear that song. They confiscated the Cheech and Chong, but they never got our Zepplin !

o

Ah the good old days. Imagine what the principal would do if he heard some of the stuff that passes for music today. I would always take Stairway to Heaven over some current rap music which denigrates nearly everyone in a way most foul.

Lance

o

I apologize in advance if I step on someone's toes. I do not describe what the kids listen to today as music. That's what we listened to music, and our music actually had talent, singing and someone playing instruments. I DETESTE today's offerings. These kids are losing out and getting cheated by this non talent rap crap.

o

Many of us were horrible little ----- at my HS 1500 boys Catholic School Juke Box in The Cafeteria 1970 nightmare for the monitors endless quarters pumped in to play over and over Yoko Ono screeching the Song Don't worry Mamma Cut her hand in The Snow.
Dont worry, dont worry, dont worry, dont worry, dont worry, dont worry, dont worry, yeeeeeaaaaaahhhhhhaaaaeeeeeaaaaoooooaaaaauuuuuaaahhh aaah aaaah aaah ooooh ooooh aaaah eeeeeeeee ahhhhh dont worry dont worry dont worry don't worry. Inmust admit I did provide a quarter or 2

o

Non talent rap crap, how could you say that. Back in the day there was a thing called covering a song. A different group would release a different version of a song which had been a hit before and sometimes even when it wasn't. Today rap groups do what is called sampling, they take the original music and remove the vocals and then sing their new vocals over the original lyrics.

Lance

o

I like a lot of rap rich vein of creativity and a lot of bad music too. Just like every genre just remember the poor unwanted child of rock "bubble gum" get me my insulin.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here