Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pete41_gw

I was gooned

pete41
17 years ago

Tuesday nite,taking a bike ride.Saw a young couple coming towards me on the sidewalk.I got over to the extreme right to pass the way you should.Just as I came even the guy stepped into me and hit me with a forearm smash.Next thing I knew people where asking me if I was alright.I hit my head on the cement and was out for quite awhile.They evaced me to hospital.Stitches needed but no fractures.

I was lucky that a police officer from another area was passing by and saw me down.They told me the fellow was a disturbed,and mentally challenged regular.Don't know what they will do to him ,probably nothing.

This will run a couple of thousand.Insurance will cover most but its not fair that medicare has to cover these kind of things.

Comments (17)

• kathwhit
    17 years ago

Pete, that is just awful! I am so glad to hear you are alright and don't have anything broken. Take it easy for awhile before you get back on the bike.
    Kathy

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    17 years ago

I'm just glad you are (mostly) ok. I hope that guy doesn't do that again to someone else!

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    17 years ago

Pete, I had to read and see how gooned was different than mooned. I think I'd rather be mooned, or even flashed :)

I'm so sorry! Thank God you weren't hurt any worse than you were, although I bet you feel like you were hit by a truck today. Mentally challenged or not, that sounds like assault to me....

Again, I'm sorry. Take care of yourself. (when do we get to see a picture of the stitches, or something cool like a fighters black eye???)

• pete41
    Original Author
    17 years ago

We have a couple of those half way houses around here.Mostly fairly good kids with drug problems.
    I don't know why he saw me as a threat.I said coming through,made eye contact,smiled.When I came to and was waiting for evac,they where standing there looking confused and scared,not belligerant.We also have a lot of homeless living in the woods around here.Always a little hinky passing one of them.You can just imagine one going berserk.
    Maybe it was the eye contact.Most rational people see it as a sign you mean no harm when used with a friendly look.Wild animals see it as a challenge.Who knows.
    65 years and that was the first time I was attacked.
    Thats how you turn a liberal into a conservative.Lock em up and leave them there.LOL

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    17 years ago

Egads--what an awful experience! And no way to anticipate it and thus avoid it. In the midwest, people often smile at strangers to indicate the locals are friendly--nothing to fear--but I can think of some other environments where I might get into trouble smiling at strangers. But still--its hard to imagine how common courtesy in a public setting would threaten someone.

Glad you are ok, Pete.

Kate

• harryshoe zone6 eastern Pennsylvania
    17 years ago

I'm glad you are OK. After waiting 6 mos. for your return, it would have been so sad to lose you.

• pagan
    17 years ago

how awful! One of those random acts of being in the wrong place at the wrong time deals... the guy probably DOES need to be housed someplace, but is fine when on his meds, so he gets booted out, to go OFF his meds...

Way back when, I locked up one of our local homeless who was harrassing people at a gas station. The man was very deranged - threatened to report me to Bill Clinton. ANYWAY, in court the next day, I got bawled out by the judge for locking the guy up and warned to never do such a thing again... in my police innocenceI thought this way the man could get some help. NOPE... too many episodes of law and order, I guess...

• pete41
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Lesson learned-contrary to anything you may have seen in the movies or on tv. when someone hits you with a surprise attack from arms length-you will never even seen it coming.

• trepadora
    17 years ago

I am so sorry to hear your accident.
    But when I read your last post about the "lesson-learned", I just can't help but smile.
    Always enjoy your post and hope everything is fine for you.

• anntn6b
    17 years ago

Pete,
    I'm glad you're relatively OK. Wish you were totally OK.

DH got assaulted by a dude when DH was walking home from work with a brief case in one hand and a six foot long solid cast iron pry bar in the other (he had just bought the pry bar- not something he took for a walk like a pet).
    As DH sat on the ground, with the pry bar in a defensive position, the perp looked down at him and said "Hey, man, I'm having a bad day!"

The security guard for the Louisiana Power and Light Building, 25 feet away, did nothing.

I really don't want the rule for the future to be "expect the worse, you won't be disappointed."

You do have follow up doctor's visit scheduled? Be real careful.

• carla17
    17 years ago

Pete, very unfortunate. I hope you're doing fine now. That guy needs some supervision.

Carla

• petaloid
    17 years ago

Oh my gosh, I'm so sorry to hear this. Please rest and try not to do too much too soon.

• User
    17 years ago

Sad all the way round! Got put in a headlock 2 blocks from Bellevue Hospital years ago while walking with a friend not thrilled with it but glad I wasn't the other guy.

• meredith_e Z7b, Piedmont of NC, 1000' elevation
    17 years ago

Pete, what a terrifying thing! I'm so sorry. I sure wish he would have to pay for the bills at least, too.

I had a biscuit-throwing crazy dude try to take me off to his cave one night in an all-night diner. See, you need a 6'3, 260 lb boyfriend like mine to make him a little slower, anyway. And my zen-like calm helped soothe the savage. Seriously, so much boils down to luck, and it is so scary and unfortunate.

Glad you survived intact for the greatest part!

• msjean
    17 years ago

Sometimes bad things happen to good people :(

Glad you are ok dear friend .

• flowernay
    17 years ago

Hope you're feeling better Pete! ... and it's outrageous that YOU should be out one cent over this. It's a shame to think there should be some kind of personal health insurance to cover damages due to "uninsured maniacs" (like they do with car insurance). That creep outta pay for what he did. The cops referred to him as a "regular"??? a regular menace? regular inhabitant of jail cells?

• michaelalreadytaken
    17 years ago

Episodes like what you're describing are why I quit working psych hospitals.

I'm glad it wasn't any worse than it was and that you're OK.

MichaelAT

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz