Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
A Trip to The Orchid Show

Posted by labrea 7NYC (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 24, 08 at 15:34

Hey we finally had snowreal snow and it coincided with the opening of the orchid show up in The Bronx. I had to go it was a members only ivitation which meant no great crowds and room to take pictures. Nice fluffy snow with sleet ontop is dangerous so I was in and out in an hour. Thers a link at the end for some pretty amazing flowers!
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Here is a link that might be useful: 2008 Orchid Show

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: A Trip to The Orchid Show

• Posted by aprille z9 CA bay area (My Page) on
    Sun, Feb 24, 08 at 20:44

Thank you for those Joe! I adore Orchids - but it's one of those plants I can't grow. Back home in Sri Lanka people have them growing in their front yards and on the big trees, so beautiful. I miss seeing that.

Aprille

o

these are exquisite shots Joe of stunning plants. Nature is the best sculptor.
Hard to pick favourites but I love RR and PM for the colours.
thanks for posting these.Finding one of your posts is like receiving a gift !

o

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Mon, Feb 25, 08 at 11:18

Those are so beautiful! I find myself very tempted by any that are not white, or pink, and your first two above are exactly what appeals to me. Anything grown indoors has to learn to just about take care of itself in Spring and Summer though, so I've resisted buying orchids - I don't think I'd be very good at growing them :)

Thanks for sharing your day. Wasn't that a little bit disorienting though to come out of that lush tropical setting into snow and sleet?

o

Curiously it was nice to have some snow it's been kind of a snowless winter and now that all the little snowdrops, witch hazel and winter jasmine are blooming it was kind of perfect

o

Awesome photos as always Joe. LUVLUVLUV the zygo. :) I currently have a red catt in bloom and the phals are not far behind. Thanks for brightening my Monday!

o

Great work Joe, as always. Its sad that some here are negative about shows. The times I have attended shows have been wonderful experiences. You don't have to worry about who won, just the great efforts of the growers. Why not see them at their best?

o

AN HOUR? Well, you not only have the eye but you have some bad ass
speed in you too. The orchids are beautiful but my favorites are the snow
scenes. Does this mean we have to pray to the snow God for a March
blizzard in the city to get your magical N Y snowscapes? I'll start now.

o

Absolutely amazing flowers. One can see why orchid collecting is becoming more and more popular. Wonderful photography. Thanks so much again, Labrea.
Pauline - Van.Isle

o

Joe, as usual your pictures are stunningly beautiful. Thanks so much for posting these. It's like a breath of spring.
Kathy

o

Ah Joe, you make me stop in my tracks. And breathe deeply. And then say how much I appreciate you and Mother Nature.

You use that camera like a third eye that sees to the heart of things, whether landscape, floral or animal.

I hope I'll meet you in California in April!

Sue

o

wow those Orchids have a strange beauty! Now if they bloomed 6-7 month or more every year, had fabulous fragrance they would be so worth to grow!! I really like your floral photography ....

o

Cupshaped if you select your varieties well you can have an orchid in bloom all 12 months and most of the ones I grow are extremely fragrant, just not most of the phals. ;-)

o

There were some wonderfully fragrant orchids at this show though most were not. Some tiny ones almost like babys breath that had an almost honey like scent

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here