Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pete41_gw

telling it like it is

pete41
17 years ago

Old-Timer Woes at a nursing home in Florida, a group of senior citizens were sitting around talking about their aches and pains. "My arms are so weak I can hardly lift this cup of coffee," said one.

"I know what you mean. My cataracts are so bad I can't even see my coffee," replied another.

"I can't turn my head because of the arthritis in my neck," said a third, to which several nodded weakly in agreement.

"My blood pressure pills make me dizzy," another contributed.

"I guess that's the price we pay for getting old," winced an old man as he slowly shook his head. Then there was a short moment of silence.

"Well, it's not that bad," said one woman cheerfully. "Thank God we can all still drive."

Comments (9)

• pete41
    Original Author
    17 years ago

down

• darbardi
    17 years ago

my 75 year old mother called me one day and told me she
    drove two blocks before she realized she was driving on the
    wrong side of a two way street. She sold the car to her
    cleaning lady right away (with our blessings).

• pete41
    Original Author
    17 years ago

The reason I put this up was on Tuesday while I was riding my bike around here someone swinging wide to pull into a driveway almost ran over me.I saw a shocked look on his face,it was obvious he had not seen me.
    It was Sam,he turned 100 last fall.
    That speaks for itself.

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    17 years ago

Glad you are all right, Pete. Wise bikers have to treat all drivers as idiots or drunk--to protect themselves!

That said, it is hard to see a biker sometimes--I've had that startled look on my face once or twice. Luckily, no one's neck was in danger.

Kate

• harryshoe zone6 eastern Pennsylvania
    17 years ago

The other side concerns our society. Most homes aren't located in walking distance of retail or business establishments. The day we took the keys from my 85 year old father was the beginning of the end. He felt useless and trapped. His personality changed and he became a complaining, demanding, ornery old man. It was not pretty, but we had no choice.

• dirt_yfingernails
    17 years ago

I once waited on a 95 year old with thick Coke-bottle lenses. He couldn't see where to sign documents or where to enter or leave the building. He complained bitterly and loudly that his doctor and son had his driver's license taken away. That was a necessary decision.

• sammy zone 7 Tulsa
    17 years ago

Oh, Pete. I hear you, but the other day I was walking my dog, and decided to not go behind a car that was in the driveway. As we stood there, he did suddenly back out without having looked. He was really startled when he saw me, but he had obviously been distracted, and backed down the driveway across the sidewalk without looking. He is about 55 and seemingly healthy, but just distracted.

It is such a shame that our society does not have decent paths for people to ride bikes or little motorized vehicles. Surely the day for delivering groceries is near if not present in some locations, but for those who want to shop and make their selections, they need simple ways to get there.

Sammy

• msjean
    17 years ago

Glad you were not hurt Pete.....:)
    I think yearly driving tests should be required by anyone after 70..or maybe 75.
    Here in Canada, insurance companies raise the insurance premiums for the elderly so high that they usually stop driving on their own accord. My neighbour, 83, just sold his car for this reason. I'm personally glad he is off the highway....... I feel safer now..:)

Either way, the family does not have to be the heavy....

In line with dangerous driving by the elderly are the cell phone users. Nearly got hit twice lately ...and both times they were not paying attention to the road...because they were on their cell phone.
    I think it should be law that in order to talk on a cell, one must get out of traffic....unless it is an emergency. If the conversation is that important, they should be willing to pull off the road...IMHO.

• sammy zone 7 Tulsa
    17 years ago

Pete, it would be interesting if you and I traded places for a day. I could see the elderly people drive, and you could watch the high school 10th graders zip around and out of the school parking lot.

Sammy