Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Orchid people vs. rose people

Posted by nickelsmumz8 8 OR (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 30, 07 at 2:52

I was pretty heavily into orchids for several years, but when I moved up to Oregon, the moving process (which was long and drawn out) ended killing virtually all my orchids. Well, I was just browsing around in the Antiques board and saw an old post about the book Otherwise Ordinary People.

This made me wonder -- those who do/have done both intensive orchiding and intensive rose-ing, which set are weirder?

My money's on orchid people, especially because orchid collecting can get into a lot of serious money and lawbreaking if you are obsessed with unusual species, but I could be wrong. I'd love to hear others' impressions.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Orchid people vs. rose people

I only have one orchid and I can't make it bloom.

Rose people are definitely weirder. Rose people include Pete41, Karl, DiggerDave, Patrick, Cactus Joe and myself.

No other flower group could match that motley crew. Really, need I say more?

o

Harry - good point!

o

I'd probably do something illegal RE: roses if need be, lol. I have snipped where snipping wasn't allowed... just couldn't resist for a special, unavailable rose!

I killed my only orchid too, lol. I love them but have to stick with hardy plants or I'd be bankrupt.

o

Both hobbies can cost $$$. Both have insect/disease issues that are a pain to deal with and can threaten the plant. Both have the obsessed show groupies looking for hardware but with the AOS you get the honor of paying for that awarded plant. Both have the chemical groupies and my way of growing is far superior to yours. Both have the obsessed how do I get around the plant police for that coveted plant. Then there are those of us that just want to enjoy our plants and pastime and each other. I find both groups cover the traits equally IMHO. :)

o

Harry dear,

If that's your best examples of weird rose people, then rose people are not even in the same ballpark. :)

o

But, they try so hard!

o

Roses are it for me I just like taking pictures of Orchids once a year!!!!!!!!!! had a bud who turned his bedroom into an orchid growing zone and he took to sleeping on the sofa.

o

Meredith -- that's barely pale pink illegal compared to the CITES violations that some orchid folks get up to. We're talking about international smuggling of wild collected endangered rain forest species here, and so on. And obviously, the cost of an individual orchid plant is WAY higher than an individual rose plant -- even unawarded plants are going to cost a lot more. You can get just about any rose in production for under $30, right? Hahahaha! Orchids that are easy to propagate (meristem cloning) are expensive because the cloning technology is pretty expensive and takes fancy equipment. Then there are types that don't clone well at all and have to be propagated by hand division and such. Well, I'll stop there. You can see where it goes. Then, providing an environment for many orchids to live in is incredibly expensive and a lot of work in many parts of the world.

Labrea, yep, that's probably not that unusual. I bet he put really expensive sodium grow lights on the ceiling, on a timer that changes day length seasonally -- who wants to try to sleep under that! LOL.

So far, my private bet is still winning. :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here