Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pagan_gw

Happy Saturday!

pagan
17 years ago

good morning Starshiners!! The earth says HELLO!!! I eneded up planting 1 rose yesterday - Thomas Affleck, ordered mainly cus his name is so close to that commercial with the duck... anyway, it hurt, but I am not convinced it was the hole digging and NOT the almost-steady rain that did me in. So I will wait a few mnore days (Wednesday will be 5 weeks post-surgery) and try it again. I am far too proud of myself cus I actually sat down with a list of my roses, pot ghetto and refugees to relocate, and made little diagrams and lists and considered size and color to decide who goes where... this is my first attempt at making actual BEDS, as opposed to just chucking the puppies in the ground someplace. That is one reason I haven't hired my garden criminal back - his work was getting sloppy and I want these beds done well and right the first time, so I would rather take my time and do it myself then have to breathe down his neck and be all demanding, then PAY for the privilege!

So what is the rosey world up to today?

Comments (5)

• AnneCecilia z5 MI
    17 years ago

Good morning, Pagan! You're smart to be taking it slow and easy after your recent surgery. Good for you for doing some planning instead of just digging - I find that to be a fun activity, esp. if I can't be out in the garden for (winter!) weather reasons anyway.

I'm feeling lousy this morning with a cold I caught from DGD. This is day 3, and the worst of it so far. I may even have to make a run out to the store for more tissue! :-( I've got all the laundry backed up from our vacation to do and that's the only chore I intend to tackle through this weekend. I actually got outside yesterday evening and walked around the fields with my dog for the first time all winter. There is still snow but there are bare patches too, and what snow there is, is hard and crusty - I could walk on top if I went slowly and carefully. I took a look at the gardens and the roses while I was out there and There Was *NO* Vole Damage This Year that I could see - Woohooo! Don't know if the Bounce sheets tucked in the base of the roses helped or not, but I'm a happy camper. I've got lots of bulbs poking up through the soil and leaves, but so far just the snow drops are blooming. Spring is on the way and sick or not I've got a smile on my face today!

Anne

• zeffyrose
    17 years ago

Please be careful!!
    I understand you are anxious to work in the garden---I know the feeling but please be cautious for a while. Five weeks doesn't seem long enough for post-op digging.

I was told it takes a year after back surgery to be fully healed----What does your Dr. say?

Take care and enjoy the spring blooms.

I truly understand how difficult it is not to dig----.

Florence

• carla17
    17 years ago

Hello Pagan, and top o the morning to you. It has turned from tropical warms to mountain cold here over night. I hope my roses aren't too confused.

Carla

• darbardi
    17 years ago

We had all day snow and sleet turn into the type of slush you
    can't leave a footprint in its so hard. Watched my cat slide down the stairs.
    I laughed but the look she gave me was very indignant. Then she meowed
    her annoyance as she slid accross the yard.

• meredith_e Z7b, Piedmont of NC, 1000' elevation
    17 years ago

Good evening, y'all! It was sunny and I got the itch to garden, but it was only 30 degrees with 30mph winds, lol. Darnit, I still watered everything.

Now my neck is starting its strangly-better-take-a-painpill-quick routine that I'm unfortunately too used to. No prob, though.

My poor Crepuscule has no green at all up top! He's ownroot, so hopefully he'll still come back. Waaaah!! I really, really wanted him :( I think I'll pout a while!