Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
sonofa&%*#^$(@&$#!!!!

Posted by pagan 8b (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 14, 07 at 8:24

Why the heck is my computer doing such strange things??? I suspect I have been virused... I will do a search, using my google toolbar, and finding the website I want - i.e. Pickering. However, when I click on it my computer goes to some stupid monsterweb page that has all kinds of stuff I DON'T want on it; or it goes to some stupid shopping page, or e-bay, or no place I want to go!!!!! I ran Norton and it fixed it for a short time - but the critter is back!!!! Anybody have any ideas??

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: sonofa&%*#^$(@&$#!!!!

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Wed, Mar 14, 07 at 12:05

My guess, understanding I'm not a computer expert -

You may have spyware, not all versions of Norton may address that. I used to use Spybot, which picked up all kinds of weird stuff when it scanned (daily), but I changed to Windows Defender. Neither interfere with Norton operating.

If you don't have a spyware program

Ad-Aware

Spybot Search and Destroy Scans, removes, and prevents spyware.

Windows Defender Scans, removes, and prevents spyware. This is a good program for me, but you can only get it if you have Windows 2000 or XP

SpywareBlaster

CWShredder

All are freeware

o

• Posted by jody 7b - NC (My Page) on
    Wed, Mar 14, 07 at 12:05

1 Make sure you have the latest virus definition files for Norton.
2. Once you have updated virus definition files, run a full scan again.
3. Look in the audit log on Norton and find the name of the beast that is infecting your computer.
4. Check the Norton website to see if there is a removal tool for said beast.
5. If a removal tool or other "fix" exists, execute same.

A pain isn't it? I don't know how much money my company makes out of fixing infected computers per week, but its a substantial sum.

o

Thank goodness it's just your computer. I thought maybe another post fell on you! I am glad you're ok.
K

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here