Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cecily_gw

Cat Grass

cecily
15 years ago

Hey Carla, I saw your post regarding kitty eating plants on another forum where I merely lurk (there are some strange dynamics over there but lots of good information). Anyway, there are little bags of seeds available at pet stores for wheat/oat grass for cats. It germinates quickly and kitty will adore it. Once you give her her own grass, she won't menace your plants. She probably does have a hairball, its shedding season. Frequent (like daily) brushing helps. We use the Furminator on our cat, its similar to a curry comb for horses.

Comments (13)

• carla17
    15 years ago

Hi Cecily, I have a furminator. Maybe I will buy some grass or seeds. I'm still in thinking mode as to what I'll do with the houseplants. Thank you for the suggestion.

Carla

• peachiekean
    15 years ago

They say a dab of vaseline on kitty's nose helps with furballs.

• peachiekean
    15 years ago

They say a dab of vaseline on kitty's nose helps with furballs.

• carla17
    15 years ago

PetSmart had their grass on sale. Cecily, I bought wheat but I plan to do it myself next time.
    I bought something at the vet for hair balls, just keep forgetting to do it. Here is Dolce lazing on my husband's jeans.
    {{gwi:202797}}
    Couldn't resist another one
    {{gwi:202798}}

Carla

• cecily
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Dolce is adorable! Please keep the pictures coming! We tried the malt stuff/vaseline on our cat. Instead of licking it off, he rubbed it onto my comforter. He resents the furminator but the house stays much cleaner when you remove the fur directly from the cat.

• carla17
    15 years ago

Thank you Cecily! I've had three dogs and am starting to like cats better. Dogs are much needier as far as attention. I love the hair in kitty's ear! I didn't think I could love this cat so much. She is fun.

Carla

• petaloid
    15 years ago

What a beauty!

I get the best price on kitty grass at a local health food store (Rainbow Acres). They always have pots of it in the refrigerated section.

Growing it from seed sounds like fun.

• celeste/NH
    15 years ago

Carla,
    Your kitty is beautiful! Makes me miss my Cosmo so much. I am a cat-person myself and still have 2, plus my "grandkitten" Zeus who is the apple of my eye. He is helping mend my broken heart.

We got the cat grass from the pet store and it grew within just a few days....I could almost see it growing. Zeus and the other cats nibbled at it some. But sometimes they just can't resist snacking on the houseplants still.

Celeste

• carla17
    15 years ago

Cecily, will you please e-mail me.

Thanks,
    Carla

• carla17
    15 years ago

Cecily, I can't respond to you in e-mail; you wrote me from GW and I can't respond through that. sorry
    My kitty is still spitting/throwing up! I know sometimes she pigs out on her dry food and throws it up but the other stuff I just don't know but this is driving me batty!
    She doesn't seem improved with the grass either.
    Would you always see fur if it is a hairball situation? I gave her some of the hairball paste last night.

Carla

• cecily
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Oops, sorry the e-mail didn't work. Cat grass and dried cat nip keep the digestive system moving along. If the hair is passing gradually in kitty's stool you won't see it in the litter box (you will see grass in the litter box). If a big hairball has formed in her digestive tract, she needs to throw it up... that can take several tries. My cat pukes hairballs about twice a month despite the cat grass and furminator. A hairball looks like a compact, hard oval shape colored like kitty's fur -- my cat is gray so his hairballs look like mice, about a half inch long. Other reasons cats puke... over eating, eating something bad (mine eats yarn, his yarn balls were confiscated), intestinal worms. A few cats have food allergies, but I think hair is most likely due to the season. Hope this helps!

• petaloid
    15 years ago

I wanted to mention that my cats like Petromalt remedy for hairballs. I smear an inch or so of the gel on a front paw and they lick it up.

Something else occurred to me.

I once had an orange tabby who often threw up her food. Someone told me that many orange cats (your Dolce appears to be orange dilute) have somewhat delicate systems and are often sensitive to food coloring, preservatives, etc.

I switched to a brand of cat food with no food coloring. She stopped throwing up and she also became less hyper.

It might be worth a try.

• carla17
    15 years ago

Thank you Celeste and Petaloid.
    Petaloid, I feed Wellness now. I got rid of my Christmas cacti and so we'll see about how things go. When she was younger she had lots of gas and sometimes still, it will drive you from the room! So cute yet gassy.
    Petaloid, do you think she is Maine Coon? I had a MC and it had the definite M on it's forehead. That's interesting what you said about colors and sensitivity.

Carla