Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
lavender/mauve roses

Posted by gnome_de_plume 6bTN (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 30, 07 at 13:21

greetings, fellow rose lovers! I'm new here...and relatively new to TN. This past winter has been my first rose-growing winter here, having moved from FL in late 2005.

I recently heard we will be officially changed to zone 7 soon, but I am afraid to plant Teas and Chinas here, even though I love them. Some plants that are supposedly hardy to zone 7 have not survived the winter here but others have been thriving for years, such as Cannas.

I'd love to find a good lavender/mauve rose for my garden. If someone can suggest one, I'd very much appreciate it. I'd like it to have very full, preferably cupped, old-fashioned looking blooms, a rich rosy/mauve/lavender color, strong old-rose fragrance, be reliably hardy, disease resistant and vigorous...and also be good for cut flowers. I know that's asking much...but there must be a rose out there like that.

I planted Angel Face (own-root) last year and it did not survive the winter. I also planted three of the HT 'Heirloom' roses, two own-root, one grafted...and the grafted one looks half dead. The own-root ones are ok but seem to have suffered from the winter.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: lavender/mauve roses

I've been drooling over some pictures of Reine des Violettes -----If I had the room I would love to have it.

I think it was Randy over on the antique rose Gallery who posted a great picture.

Welcome to the rose forum----

Florence

o

thank you, Florence. I would love Reine des Violettes, also. I tried growing it in FL but it didn't do well for me. May try it again here. Some roses I planted last year seem to love it here and others are not doing much of anything. Very frustrating because I LOVE roses.
Maria

o

• Posted by jody 7b - NC (My Page) on
    Mon, Apr 2, 07 at 14:17

International Herald Tribune is a small lavendar/mauve floribunda that does well for me and should do well for you. It does well for Ann in zone 6a - in was in her garden I saw it first and then had to have it.

I love Heirloom, but it will have to be sprayed for BS. Its just such an incredible fragrant, prolific performer in the spring and fall I am happy to spray it. The virus free baby I ordered from Heirloom Roses went straight into the ground and grew like a weed. My experience is that this is a fairly large, fairly robust floribunda.

o

Keep working with those Heirlooms. Once established they are pretty tough for an HT.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

o

'Blue Skies,' 'Silver Shadows' and 'Do-Si-Do' are all roses in shades of lavender bred by the lake Griffith Buck from Iowa State University, who focused on health and cold-hardiness. I'll put a link to a list of his hybrids -- you can click on the names to see photos and descriptions.

Since you're in a different climate now I'd also try another 'Reine des Violettes.' Mine is getting ready for its first flush of the year. Love it!

A rugusa rose might work for you too, like 'Hansa' which is a ruffly, fragrant hot fuschia beauty. It should be hardy in your zone. (http://www.helpmefind.com/rose/pl.php?n=1875&tab=10)

Here is a link that might be useful: Griffith Buck Hybrids

o

I to live in Tn.I am about 100 miles northeast of Memphis.I have been growing roses for a long time and have done very well in flower show, but this year has been awful had to cut mine back to the ground.I have never had to cut back before.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here