Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Yoga

Posted by sammy OK/7A (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 16, 08 at 13:52

I would like to know of a good Yoga program that would be suitable for someone like me who is over 40. Actually I am waaaaay over 40, but don't want something that is for old people. I just don't intend to stand on my head or do other yoga things I see for the very young.

I saw an ad for Peggy Cappy on PBS, but really have never paid much attention to yoga, and know nothing.

Do you have any recommendations?

Thanks
Sammy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Yoga

Much depends on what you would like out of it. What are your goals?

"There are numerous opinions on what the goal of Yoga may be. Goals can range from improving health and fitness, to reaching Moksha."

The hardest part of any exercise, art, or other program is making it to class. Hopefully you can find a class that is close and convient to you so you can easily make it part of your life.

Almost all instructors alow a free class so you can see what their classes are like. I would not sit on the sidelines, but wear your sweats and join in.

We used to offer short classes through the local community colleges to keep our Martial Art growing with new students.

If you are interested in sitting practice many offer a class for new students. Beware of contracts.

Sometimes it takes a long time to find the right teacher and style for you. Yoga is like roots and there are many branches.

Here is a link that might be useful: wikipedia

o

Sammy, another option you might explore is to look on-line for DVD's for beginner's yoga, which has the more basic exercises but will still give you a good idea of what it's about and also give your body a nice workout. The poses look so simple but are actually very effective, and great for improving your body's elasticity and tone. It also really helped me a lot when I had a herniated disc years ago. What I like about it is that you can see yourself progressing as you master the poses. Even in the beginning, when you're not that flexible and can't do the poses as well as you'd like, your body is still getting a workout. I didn't take a class because it was so much easier to make time in front of the TV whenever I had the inclination, without the bother of dressing, driving etc. But obviously there are many different ways to approach this, and having a teacher in the room with you works for many people.

Good luck with your project. I hope you find what works best for you.

Ingrid

o

THank you Iowa Jade, I have given thought to what I want, but am not ready for classes yet.

Ingrid, DVD's are what I am after, but I am looking for one that is designed for someone older who is not ready to do some of the moves that young people are doing. Actually I feel that I can do anything, but my age dictates that I be rather careful.

I have gone to health clubs for years, and have done aerobics and weight lifting aerobics. The weight lifting training has been some of the most valuable training I have ever had.

I want to contol my breathing, and learn how to relax more. I would like to follow a woman rather than a man, and would like for it to be an older woman or one who is not "Gidget" or cheerleader type.

Do you have suggestions?

Sammy

o

Sammy, google yoga DVD's for beginners and see what they have. One by Susanne Deason is for stress relief and she's a more mature lady so that might appeal to you. I don't have any suggestions of my own because I do moves that I learned years ago when they still had cassettes and haven't looked for anything more recent. There's lots out there; I'm sure something is bound to be just what you're looking for.

Ingrid

o

• Posted by catkim San Diego 10/24 (My Page) on
    Thu, Mar 20, 08 at 13:21

Maybe your library will stock a variety of yoga dvds?

DH and I took a series of classes a few years ago, but didn't follow through, maybe it was laziness, or cost and distance from home. The teacher was male, very mellow, and very helpful, and most of the people in the class were middle aged or nearly so.

Now we use the YMCA which offers many classes at different times with different teachers. Our favorite is Monday night with Banoo, a greying, soft-spoken woman who gently works on the mind as well as the body. A variety of ages attend her class.

All instructors insist that one never try to go beyond one's abilities. So if the person next to you is doing a more advanced version of a pose, don't worry, the person on the other side of you is still trying to touch the toes without bending the knees.

It's not competitive, you can feel changes after only a few weeks, and the body feels healthy and relaxed after each session. Try it, you'll like it.

o

sammy, I bought a yoga DVD. Yoga for beginners. Here's a link to one I have.

Here is a link that might be useful: Yoga for beginners

o

Some of mu sifu's videos are good because they show him correcting the postures of other students. Some times in class we will hold a stance like; Great white ape offering up a pinneaple, or Yellow dragon makes a stream, Fat rooster struts his stuff, or Sammy picks up a dead mouse, and we stand there with our muscles a wobbling and complaining as our Sifu SLOWLY goes around correcting everyone's posture.

Tapes and videos are good, but if one tries practice in silence with out counting one's breath or repeating a mantra one can fall asleep, or worse get on the pitty pot, worring, or doing anything other than living in the moment.

One teacher I had talked about the danger of building up too much Chi. That may well be a bunch of malarkey but I am a big hugger anyways.

Good luck with your journey!

Have fun!

Foghorn

o

This is kind of cool.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Lotus and the Synapse

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here