Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Making soap with rose petals in it......

Posted by anntn6b z6b TN (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 19, 07 at 15:34

First I have to learn to make soap (I think I have all the ingredients ready and Wed or Th will be clear but coolish for outdoor work).
Then I have until May to learn how to make perfect soap when Kazanlik is in bloom.
Any hints? Or are there roses whose scent translates better?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Making soap with rose petals in it......

Hi----I don't know how to make it but I will check through some of my rose books.

My grandson was in London and brought me some soap with rose petals in it ---It looked like a wedge of pink cheese. It is so nice to use.

Florence

o

How fun! I've been wanting to try soapmaking one day. Kanzalik would have to be a great choice. Tell us how it comes out, please.

o

Do you have access to a fax machine, I could fax you something.

Carla

o

No fax that works.
But I'll post 'progress' reports here with questions.

o
RE:rose petals ... lesson one

Once the thoroughly dried petals are dry, store them in a tightly covered jar.
Loosely covered petals have herbivores that reduce the petal volumn, leave them webby and nasty and leave behind DR (Dark Red) frass.

o

Hi Ann,
Just wanted to let you know that the scent from any rose will not come through in soap. You must use a fragrance oil to achieve that unfortunatley. During the saponification process the petals will become brown as well, so do not expect any color from them either. You can crush the dried petals and put them on top of the soap, tons of soapers put botanicals on top, however, they may look pretty but become a total nightmare in the shower or tub. If you are looking for a place to learn how make soap I highly recommend the soap forum I frequent. We have over 5000 members now and some very very experienced soapmakers that contribute tremendously. I would also recommend you start reading the archives section first from the start of the forum (nov. 2002) and work forward. You will no doubt learn all the do's and don'ts in regard to soapmaking. If you have any questions please don't hesitate to email me....I can walk you through the process. :-))
www.soapdishforum.com

Kristi

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here