Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Does this look like a rose to you ?????

Posted by zeffyrose_pa6b7 6b7 (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 27, 08 at 18:36

Yesterday we had three trees taken down----I was a little sad about this beautiful Sugar Maple but it was dying in the middle and DH was afraid it would fall on the roof--

When I went outside I was shocked to see what looked like a rose to me---Of course all the workers looked at me like I was a loony old lady---LOL

What do you think ?

and a close-up

The tree in th fall-----I feel sad to lose this tree.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Does this look like a rose to you ?????

Zeffy, So sorry you had to lose this tree - I would be the same way.

I think the last one looks like an animal with ear, nose, eye, mouth with bushy maine(sp) and head. I see no rose, sorry!!!
Pauline

o

I think it looks like Elvis.

o

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Fri, Mar 28, 08 at 19:49

I can see an animal, or a rose. Sorry Harry, no Elvis.

Zeffy, how nice you were outside for a while. I'm not a plant pathologist and haven't seen many cut maple stumps, but am wondering if that's healthy wood in the center - the removal may have been a great idea.

There have been a lot of large trees lost around here since our storm in December (several thousand acres really) and people are beginning to question those left near their homes and are taking some out. It takes me a while to get used to the new skyline and I miss them, but I have a very different take on the remote possibility of having a tree fall on the roof since having 100' of pine come down on my own - would much rather have seen it removed in November than dealt with it tipped over in December :)

o

Wow, Florence! I'd say that if that was a rose cane, we'd be continuing to prune lower for white pith - Morz8 is right. Probably best that you got it out when you did. I can see how you identified the darker area as a rose. Years ago when DH paneled the bedroom ceilings with tongue and groove poplar, my two boys had the most fun trying to find knots that looked like animals and such. My youngest was so proud of the knot that looked just like a running pig. It still makes me smile when I go into that room and happen to glance up. Wonder if you could preserve a slice of that tree for yourself?
And does this open up any more sunshine in your garden? I know you have so much shade, a bit of light is a good thing, right?

Anne

o

bear Head

o

I just looked at it again. I see a mouse with the antlers of a ram in front of a rose.

Funny how much more perceptive I get after a three-martini lunch.

o

You guys are all so funny-----Isn't it amazing all the different things we see----almost like (can't spell the test) but it starts with an R-----they use it for testing people---LOL

Anne----I thought the same thing about saving a slice of the tree and preserving it-------

I love hearing all these different opinions.

Harry maybe I need to start drinking---LOL LOL I have a feeling the workers thought I was already drinking when I walked out there with my cane and said---Oh my goodness it looks like a rose----

Florence

o

100% Jersey Devil ;)

---
Wendy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here