Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hoovb

They're back!

The water lilys, that is. They take the winter off.

Happy, happy spring.

{{gwi:194710}}

Comments (18)

• zeffyrose
    17 years ago

Oh my-----that is so pretty.

I grew up on a lake and one of the joys of a hot summer day was to go out in my boat and pick a beautiful water-lilly from the cool water.

thanks for reminding me .

Florence

• pagan
    17 years ago

very gorgeous! I think I'll go find a pong to see if I can see any flowers floating in it!

• User
    17 years ago

beautiful love water lillies

• carla17
    17 years ago

You just reminded me why I want a small pond. Thank you for the lovely photo.

Carla

• harryshoe zone6 eastern Pennsylvania
    17 years ago

Nice Hoov. I really want a pond. You are a blatant enabler. Shame on you. You know how much I oppose such behavior.

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    Original Author
    17 years ago

We put in a pond last fall. We just love it. It is as much fun as the roses, if such a thing is possible. The Disneyland rose (there on the left) took a beating when they put in the filter pipes, but it has recovered. The yard is kind of a mess here because I had to move around a bunch of pots to keep them out of the way, but you get the idea:

{{gwi:187460}}

We made the pond out of an existing raised planter that was too shady for roses anyway. 3 of our little koi.
    {{gwi:203223}}

• AnneCecilia z5 MI
    17 years ago

Gorgeous lily and gorgeous pond (and yard!) What lucky little koi to live there with you. I wish keeping fish over winter wasn't quite so problematic up here in the north. I'd love to have a raised pond like yours....sigh. Well, a girl can dream, can't she?
    :-)

Anne

• michaelalreadytaken
    17 years ago

Too busy salivating to comment. Hope you understand.

MAT

• michaelalreadytaken
    17 years ago

Ahem! Upon closer inspection, is that you staring back at us
    in the bubble? Or am I misinterpreting what I'm seeing?

Either way--tres cool.

MichaelAT

• meredith_e Z7b, Piedmont of NC, 1000' elevation
    17 years ago

Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous. Sigh.

Can you just fly me that pond as is to NC for my silver-pear/climbing r. Windchimes garden? It's all planned out already and waiting for your pond!!

• kathwhit
    17 years ago

Just wonderful, Hoov. Thanks for sharing! I love your pond and fishies.
    Kathy

• carla17
    17 years ago

Hoov, thank you for sharing your beautiful gardens and pond. The pond is great.

Carla

• emilyg
    17 years ago

Drool is on the keyboard

• Molineux
    17 years ago

The fish look hungry. You should feed them.

Pretty water lily. Any plans to grow the blue ones? I've got a garden plan that centers around a rectangular pond of azure blue water lilies. It is called "The Perfumed Garden" and is filled solely with fragrant plants. Very sensual and beautiful. Can't do it myself but your zone is perfect. Think espaliered orange trees, trailing jasmine and lots of sinfully fragrant roses.

Interested?

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    Original Author
    17 years ago

The koi are ALWAYS hungry LOL!

We do have orange trees and lemon, and jasmine, lavenders, santolinas, pineapple salvias, (actually we have pineapples too) and 'Casablanca' lillies, wisteria, freesias, and Brugmansias and Brunfelsia, a really really fragrant Iris called 'Heavenly Vision'...the orange and lemon blossom fragrance is so sweet, as good as roses. We run a smelly garden here. Oh, there are a few roses out there too. ;^)

Very fragrant iris 'Heavenly Vision'
    {{gwi:203224}}

• Molineux
    17 years ago

Oh that iris is lovely. Is it a rebloomer?

BTW, didn't mean that your garden isn't already beautiful. I've been bored what with all this dreadful weather and came up with the idea for that garden plan.

Tomorrow I'll post a plant list. There might be a few things you haven't thought of.

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Yiiikes Patrick! I just read about your hand! Good grief what you have been through! Is it healing up ok?

• Molineux
    17 years ago

Thanks for asking. Yeah I got a big cut across the left palm. Stitches are out, no infection, is healing okay and I can type without too much trouble. Hand is little weak but that will get better. This weekend I'll wrap it up good and FINALLY do some weeding with the good hand. So things are looking up.

BTW, Happy Belated Birthday.

Patrick