Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Propagating roses? ...... a few notes from 'heaven'?

Posted by flowernay z7b E.TEXAS (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 9, 07 at 22:41

I've had Spring fever so bad, I can't express how happy I was to find this "treasure" today. I was cleaning and found a tiny notepad tucked away in the pocket of a travel bag. I opened the cover and read the words... "Frank's notes".

These scribbled notes of mine were his answers to a few questions I asked 5 or 6 years ago. He answered "from the hip"/"pop quiz style". ~ For those who didn't know him, he was one of my dearest friends (and rose mentor) for years... He was also head propagator at Chamblee's for almost 20 years. He lost his battle with cancer on December 28, 2004.

I know there are hundreds of ways to root things. I thought our rose buddies would like to read his opinion on one or two things:

When propagating:

Take cuttings shortly after the blooms are "spent" - before large hips develop.

When rooting Climbers, laterals root best.

Hybrid Perpetuals and Hybrid Teas root best in Fall ~ others (Chinas, Polys) root best after the first Spring bloom cycle.

Use straight H20 mist to wet down cuttings- if you have blackspot, add 1 capful of fungicide per gallon (ie;funginex) and mist.

When potting up cuttings, dip in H20 w/ vitazyme 1T per C H20

In 4-6 weeks, check to see if they have good root before transplanting into soil.

The closer together leaf nodes are on the canes, the faster the roses root. (mini's, chinas root fast)

Mini's root in 2-4 weeks. Recommends Fall rooting to establish good root system for Spring planting (need to get established before heat of summer sets in)

Roses that have "hollow" canes with a core in the middle/soft center... don't root well/lend themselves to own rooting.... they do better grafted

Species roses (ie;Lady Banksia/Swamp Rose) try tender cuttings on species only immediately after blooming. Use a liquid rooting hormone for Species roses. (use powder on others).

~ that's all I have, now I'm ready to go out and rustle some roses!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Propagating roses? ...... a few notes from 'heaven'?

• Posted by melva 7b/8aTX (My Page) on
    Fri, Mar 9, 07 at 23:25

What a treat to find, Nay...must have been bittersweet...I didn't know Frank well, but I sure do remember him fondly...he let me give him a tour of my yard..and when I had trouble pronouncing the name of a rose, he told me, that he tried not to have roses, with names that he could not pronounce...made sense to me, it ia a wonderful rule!

o

That is a treasure. Thanks for sharing it with us. :-)

Cheers,
Michelle

o

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Fri, Mar 9, 07 at 23:38

Thank you for sharing that - I've copied and pasted your notes.

I hope coming across the note pad triggered lovely memories and made you smile.

o

I know it sounds redundant Nay but that is such a treasure. Thanks for sharing it with us.
Hamp

o

• Posted by roselvr Burlington Coun (My Page) on
    Sat, Mar 10, 07 at 7:27

John Sheldon wrote a really good tutorial on propagating roses, he went by the name Stamen on RC. I haven't been to RC in years after Veld banned me so I don't know if it's still available.

o

Nay, how good to hear from you :-)
Thank you for sharing these thoughts.

Carla

o

What a thrill it must have been to find this treasured note-----
I've been going through some old family letters and I love to read notes to me from my grandmother when I was a little girl.

I will save it.

Florence

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here