Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sammy_gw

Oprah / puppy mills

sammy zone 7 Tulsa
16 years ago

Have you seen Friday's Oprah? I am having a hard time watching it, but am glad she is dealing with the subject.

I had no idea what a puppy mill was.

I hope she gives addresses and contact information so that these things will be at least illegal. I thought they did this with some animals that are grown for food, but had no idea they did this to dogs. More than 99% of pet shops purchase dogs from these people.

We live in a world where people can openly have puppy mills!

Lisa Ling is the reporter. I am announcing this after the fact, I know, but rose lovers seem to also be animal lovers.

Sammy

Comments (4)

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    16 years ago

I watch the Animal Planet which has shows like Animal Cops, Houston and similar ones from different areas of the country, and I've known about the horrendous conditions of these places for a long time. All my animals are adopted from animal shelters and I can't bear to go in a pet shop that sells animals for that very reason. Most definitely these places should be made illegal. Many of these dogs spend their whole lives in small cages producing puppies, never feeling grass under their feet, in wire cages, often with not enough food or water, and of course the puppies are tremendously affected by beginning their lives in this dire situation. It's truly heartbreaking.

Ingrid

• aprille
    16 years ago

Sammy - I saw about this on one of my animal groups and taped the show. I have not watched it as yet, but over time have learned of the horrific things that are Puppy Mills. My dog group has rescued many dogs that were in those situations and it's been such a hard job getting these dogs to accept "normal" life - but they do and it's so rewarding. For the thousands of unfortunate dogs that don't get rescued and are stuck in this unending cycle life is not good. Breaks my heart that animals are treated this way. I don't know how I'm going to make it through the show. I'm glad that Oprah is shedding some light on this situation - she has a huge audience so it will help in a small way I'm sure.

Aprille

• sammy zone 7 Tulsa
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I train my dogs in our local dog training school that is affiliated with the AKC. I think they are a good way to start, and also the local shelters.

I most definitely intend to write my state representative. It also may help to write the U.S. ones, but the state one lives a mile from me.

I will watch more of it soon, but not in the evening. What I watch in the evening is what I think about as I go to sleep. I really think it affects my sleep.

Sammy

• Terry Crawford
    16 years ago

I watched it and it was really hard to sit through. My take on it was that a lot of these mills are being run by some of the Amish. in Lancaster County, PA. Did anyone pick up on that? Anyway, the people that run these think of animals as livestock and are incredulous that people let them live in their homes and treat them as family.

The very positive message was that if you want a purebred, there are many rescue groups you can adopt from, and 1/3 of the dogs in shelters are purebreds. They stressed neuter and spade also...a message that needs to get out. And
    Oprah (I love her) said she was a changed woman and would no longer buy a dog but would adopt.

Sammy, you're right; don't watch it before you go to bed.

-Terry