Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
meredith_e

Lite fun... 3 odd, silly, or unknown things about you

Ugh, to cheer up from the weather for most... tomorrow may be nice here!

I'm on my new-cool laptop; can you tell, ha ha?

OK, surprising, interesting, whatever... you get the drill.

This a.m. I'd say:

#1 Eats skittles only when divided by color

#2 Hates wearing shoes and often doesn't in winter

#3 Loves liver, bratwurst, pate... if it's hepatic, I'll eat it!

Please jot down a few for us about you!

Comments (32)

• meredith_e Z7b, Piedmont of NC, 1000' elevation
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Braunschweiger, I mean... the liver one. Es tut mir leid!

• pete41
    16 years ago

1-eats meals one item at a time-drives people crazy
    2-loves to be out walking,biking or fishing while normal people are sleeping in.
    3-don't watch television,no cell phone and thinks people who listen to man made music instead of natures while walking outdoors are weird.
    None of this is odd or silly and there is still a few of us stone-agers left.

• pagan
    16 years ago

only 3??? Where do I begin...

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    16 years ago

I punt, too hard!

• lellie
    16 years ago

1. HATE SHOES!!!!!!!!! (only wear'm to work...when I go...LOL)

2. My Island friends have dubbed me 'The Mango Queen'...not because I grow them, but because I eat'm AND drink'm to excess.
    Florida Dayboat fish dishes with mango salsa, chopped mango on salads and anything else I eat...and my favorite drink would hafta be my Island-Famous Mango Mai Tai!

Great!...now I'm thirsty.

3. Don't watch TV...dunno why we even have one...I read a lot, tho.

*Got one more...I've figgered out that I was either a fish or a mermaid in my previous life. You can't KEEP me outta the water...without it, I'm quite certian I'd perish.
    Hehehehehe!

Lellie

• michelle_co
    16 years ago

I'll play this one.

1. They only Spanish phrase I know is 'Dondo esta el cárcel' (where is the jail).

2. DH and I finished playing the x-box game 'Gears of War' last night.

3. My front tooth is dead because someone in my EMT class sort of accidentally on purpose hit me in the face with a baseball bat really hard.

:-)

• michelle_co
    16 years ago

PS. I want that Mango Mai Tai recipe, please and thank you, Ms. Mermaid Lellie!

• ronda_in_carolina
    16 years ago

I'm game

1. I twirl and twist my hair when I am nervous or tense.
    2. I am an associate professor (yes, that means nerd)
    3. I LOVE black jelly beans and I also LOVE black olives (seems most people either love these things or hate them)

• lellie
    16 years ago

LOL Michelle..."Where is the jail"????????????? Hah!

Jumbo black olives stuffed with cream cheese...(and mango?)...mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!

• brother_cadfael
    16 years ago

Hmmmm,

I'm always late to work... but never late to get outside and tend the roses.

I love the black jelly beans too, HATE the white ones.

I've gone through large cans of black olives without even breathing in between.

I never finish a book I start, (unless it's about roses), I'll get to the last 10% of the book and just browse the rest.

I always start at the back of a magazine and work my way to the table of contents.LOL!

Still love to climb trees, but I'm afraid of heights.

Enough..., you'll have me committed!:)
    BC:)

• debrazone9socal
    16 years ago

This seems like a good place to jump in after a long absence......

1. I'm "double jointed" (actually not true for anyone; I'm just extraordinarily limber, it turns out) at the hips and throughout my life I've often slept with my ankles just in front of my neck (with pillow in between my face and feet). No one outside my family knew of this until I was in my 30's. The only other person I've ever met who is also this way is my son:) I also tend to sit in pretzel-like positions because of this, including in business meetings and at depositions. I've tripped and/or torn my clothes by trying to jump up from a twisted sitting position and getting my clothes caught on my heels. And I'm 52 years old, for goodness sakes!

2. I've got fewer teeth than most people. I have one less lower incisor, and I only had one wisdom tooth (of course, it was impacted and had to come out!). I've passed this on to my kids, both of whom are missing both upper lateral incisors. The wisdom tooth thing is the result of evolution (since we cook our food, we don't need gigantic grinding teeth for tough raw vegies, so our jaws are getting smaller, hence wisdom teeth aren't necessary); the other missing teeth are just a random genetic mutation.

3. I absolutely HATE panty hose and tights, and rarely ever wear skirts because of this. If I wear a long skirt, I'll wear knee-high socks or boots.

• nickelsmumz8
    16 years ago

I wasn't going to play until someone dragged black olives and jelly beans into it. I love both too!

1. I have a phobia about the sound of styrofoam squeaking... shudder.

2. I don't own a TV.

3. I seem to have a lot in common with some other responders... in addition to the black food thing, I go barefoot all the time, I hate nylons, I love to be in the water, I read a ton, I'm often late to work, I have fewer teeth than most people, and I often eat meals one item at a time. Hmmmmmmmm.

• harryshoe zone6 eastern Pennsylvania
    16 years ago

Hmmmm

I never wear shoes either. Sometimes I walk in the snow barefoot. The tracks make for interesting conversation.

I wear shorts twelve months of the year. Even if its below 0.

I am completely mesmerized by any body of water. I can sit on the bank of a lake or stream for a long time. Forever, if there are fish or snakes or turtles visible.

I have the mind of a 5 year old. Five year olds can't count.

• kathwhit
    16 years ago

I'll play:

Am "soundman" and rock mandolin player in a rock and roll band

Love upside down spinney rides at amusement parks (but only with dramamine).

Addicted to "moolattes" from Dairy Queen

There are more, but you said 3.
    Kathy

Original Author
    16 years ago

I forgot to tell y'all how much I enjoyed your answers! Great fun.

Welcome, Lellie!!! So good to see you in so long, Debra and BC!!

I see some folks won't divulge, eh? Don't worry, we've heard it all!

I was even born with a tail, y'all may recall... now how often do you hear that [except from me, bwaha!]?

• carla17
    16 years ago

Let's see
    I would love to live on a farm and be 25 again
    I like green olives better than black, yum, cream cheese and olive stuffed celery
    I like to hoard scented soaps and body cremes
    I am oddly freaked out by patterns

Carla

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    16 years ago

1. I get hiccups when I'm nervous.

2. My favorite film director is Akira Kurosawa.

3. One of my ancestors was cannonized a saint by the Roman Catholic Church. Saint Arnulf of Metz, by the way. He's the Patron Saint of Breweries and he was born in 582 AD. Myself, I'm not a big fan of beer.

Here is a link that might be useful: Arnulf of Metz at Wikipedia

• kathy9norcal
    16 years ago

I drink instant coffee in the morning instead of DH's fresh brewed.
    My shoe size. My feet are very big and it is an ongoing embarassment. ? No way.
    My mother let me ride the subways for fun as a young teen.

Kathy

• celeste/NH
    16 years ago

This thread is funny! I am getting great mental images of all of you...lol.

1) I get motion-sickness on EVERYTHING...and that even includes a child's swing. When my kids were little I couldn't even LOOK at the swing going back & forth or that merry-go-round spinning thing, let alone go on one myself...I had to push my kids with my eyes closed! I spent our excursions to the amusement park laying down in the car, puking in a cup, while DH and kids enjoyed themselves.

2) I have NO armpit hair and I don't make earwax. I never have. DH says I must be an alien.

3) I can't swim.

Celeste

• ealoudermilk
    16 years ago

Um lemme see....

1. I act real goofy at home but very serious in public.
    2. If I won the lotto, I would build my own personal botanic garden and live on site.
    3. I love to fly in small aircraft/helicopters, but hate to fly commercial

• vjcamp
    16 years ago

1. I love Coffee and when I can get it, N.O. style Coffee and Chicory with boiled milk. I like the black foods also
    2. Love Strawberry Ice Cream---This was always the flavor in abundance at parties when I was a kid because everyone else ate the vanilla and chocolate
    3. I drive a Suzuki Samurai because it is plain and simple

• madame_hardy
    16 years ago

Hmm, only three?

1. Don't have TV and have rarely had one ever in my life. TV as background noise sets my teeth on edge...
    2. Used to be painfully, painfully shy but am now considered a Chatty Cathy by most, though I'm still very quiet at home. No one can believe I used to dread starting a conversation with a stranger. I'm still secretly quite a dork, though. lol
    3. Have an unusual abhorrance for subdivisions. I grew up in the woods during the whole Back To Nature era (70s), and they just make me shudder. (sorry)

Original Author
    16 years ago

That's cool about your ancestor, Hoov! On my Dad's side we apparently have a headless ghost that haunts some northern town, lol.

My Dad's cousin played for the greatest Yankee teams ever, with Lou Gherig and folks, '36 to '38 and got traded to the Brooklyn Dodgers that year. Dad knew him, and I see his closer relatives all the time out here, where he was born. Kemp Whicker [misspelled Wicker often].

I get motion-sick, too! Or did, rather and now it will be a migraine instead. Still the same ole triggers. Embarrassing asking to sit in the front seat as an adult ;]

I can see computer refresh rates and flourescent light flickers at a frequency that is odd for humans to see... goes back to migraines, lol. Not a good superpower ;]

ealoudermilk, I'm actually that way too, to a certain extent. It's scary how goofy I am in real life. I'm goofier here than in real life in public 'cos I don't much care, lol [not a bad thing to y'all, I assure you]. Oh, I'm definitely mored scared of smaller aircraft.

I want to skydive but would have to be pushed out and I'd throw up and scream at the whole first part. Still want to do it, though. The 2nd part sounds worth it.

I adore Chicory coffee! I like blackstrap molasses in mine!

More than 3 answers is great, too, LOL and appreciated to see all y'all folks!!.

I use TV as background noise 'cos I always have tinitis. Can stand silence but prefer white noise so I don't hear the constant high beep.

I'm definitely a dork. Dorks unite! I figure if it's more fun than being contrived [which I have to do to be undorky] than so be it!

I remind my Dad of his eccentric silly aunt with 11 cats in a very small house [& she was loaded] down to her never having kids but always having a ball with the neighborhood children. It's OK, I LOVED her :)

• madame_hardy
    16 years ago

Meredith, that's funny, "dorks unite!" I agree!

I almost put a vanity plate on my new car that said DORK, but of course, it probably wouldn't work out well. But wouldn't it be funny? lol

• kittymoonbeam
    16 years ago

*Understand cats better than people most of the time

*Like to wear victorian and costumey clothes around the house and walk around the neighborhood before sunrise or late at night in my 11th & 12th century clothes ( the cape hides it mostly)Like to wear my corset under my regular clothes. Wish I had more friends who liked to wear historical stuff so we could sit under the trees in the back and have nice long parties like Hobbits or elves. I could see myself living like an elf......playing my harp in the twilight.......

* Save pieces of wood from trees around the yard and collect rocks and stones from everywhere and bring them home. My favorites are little rocks from Yosemite falls and bridal veil falls and from the grand canyon. I have a really white sand in a pot from the upper emerald pools in Zion that I love to put my hands or feet in. I have little pebbles from Tokyo under my camellias. Rocks and bits of wood from places are like magic to me. I have them all around the house. Nobody knows they are there. One of my favorites is a white quartz sandstone from outside of Death Valley. It was made from a beach sand where all the grains were white quartz that had been there so long that every grain of sand was rolled into a sphere. How I wish I could have seen that beach! I'm going back to get some more of that one day.

Original Author
    16 years ago

MadameH, that would be so funny! That would be perfect if you owned a Jag, lol.

KMB, I'm with you with the cats [and dogs, too]. I can see the clothes - I wish Halloween came every 2 months or that I could get away with wearing full Flapper gear out to dinner ;]

My Mom collected rocks from everywhere. Our bag was so heavy after Europe, lol!

• taureau
    16 years ago

I love black jelly beans and black olives too. I love cracking my fingers, neck, wrist and ankles. I love Cajun
    music.

• alisande
    16 years ago

These are so much fun! I just discovered this thread. Actually, I just discovered the "conversations" board.

1. I once wrote a limerick for Bob Barker and sent it to him. He read it on The Price is Right, but I didn't get to see it. I asked if I could buy a tape of that episode, and they said yes, for $400. I didn't get to see it.

2. I once wrote a caption for a cartoon that was published in The New Yorker. Earning $200 for four words ignited a fair amount of greedy optimism, but I never sold another one.

3. My vanity plate says Brenda Starr (because I've been a newspaper reporter), but I never put it on my car. I also have one that says Save Every Animal. But that's not on my car either.

Susan

• farmgirl
    16 years ago

I've always wanted a knight in shining armor. Since I never could find a real one, I bought one. He's the perfect companion. He's 14" tall, quiet, never makes a mess and only needs to be dusted occasionally.

Not only do I collect roses, I collect dragons. The concrete guys in the yard are the biggest. The oddest is a green bobble-head that sits on my dashboard.

I was honored to have a rose named after me. It is a red and white striped mini bred by Mr. Sean McCann. He named it Rose Dragon.

Carol

Original Author
    16 years ago

Carol, I LOVE Sean McCann roses! How cool is that?

Good to see you here, Susan! Your stories are so cool... what was the caption in The New Yorker? I'd have it framed!

I was in Mr Destiny [Belushi, Renee Russo, and lots of folks] in a crowd scene at a baseball game, and they used a friend's house for the mansion he lives in in his fantasy life... my boyfriend lived on the street where his non-rich wife lived.

I was also in that basketball movie with Whoopi Goldberg in the scene where she yells at Dennis Rodman. LOL, I'm pretty sure you can't pick me out but it was fun seeing them filmed.

Long, though, and boring mostly. I haven't done it at newer movies filmed here but I've bumped into the stars or directors at the oddest spots.

• alisande
    16 years ago

I did have it framed, Meredith, but it yellowed horribly. I'm sure there was something I could have done to prevent that. Here's the story of the caption:

My friend Lorinda was visiting. I opened my very crowded refrigerator, and a block of cheese fell out. I said, "Oooh, just what I wanted!" and we laughed. Lorinda said, "That sounds like a New Yorker cartoon."

So I sent it to one of my favorite New Yorker cartoonists, not knowing a) he had a policy not to use others' captions and b) he submitted cartoons to the magazine 10 or 12 at a time. In my naive optimism I just figured he'd love the caption, draw it up, and the magazine would buy it. He did love it (and temporarily suspended his policy) and drew it up, and submitted it with a bunch of others...and they picked that one! The best part was a phone call from the cartoonist.

Fun stuff.

Susan

Original Author
    16 years ago

That is really cool! And a very funny cartoon, too, lol.

You must be an open/adventurous gal to really send it in (we all SAY we're going to...). Good going and great story!

Sponsored
Closet America
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars133 Reviews
Northern Virginia, Baltimore & DC Metro's Closet Organization Company