Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
About my 2 sourdough starters...

Posted by debn 8b NW Florida (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 18, 08 at 8:20

The one I made using yeast smells like...alcohol!!! I know the "hooch" that forms on top is actually alcohol. I just stir it back in or pour a little off if there is a lot.

The one I started using flour, water and a little pineapple juice smells like....a nice soured buttermilk! It smells good! Is this what a starter is supposed to smell like after only a day or two fermenting? I do hope that I am making it right.

But....I am very pleased so far with the one using no commercial yeast!

Thanks Rosesinny....you motivated me into another dimension of sourdough starters...LOL

Deb

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: About my 2 sourdough starters...

• Posted by debn 8b NW Florida (My Page) on
    Sat, Apr 19, 08 at 22:00

....and I have yeast!!! Bubbles galore!

Deb :o))

o

It's pretty cool isn't it? The flavors and aromas are totally different. First time I did it I was all excited and then the dough didn't rise for like 2 days. Eventually I figured out that I had to re-start it a few times before it really got going.

The thing is, you never know what you're going to end up with. Sometimes they stink a little, other times they don't. the only thing is I have never yet gotten one that worked as quickly as a commercial yeast, although I have now saved one that's pretty close.

Let us know what you end up with!

o

• Posted by debn 8b NW Florida (My Page) on
    Tue, Apr 22, 08 at 22:04

I baked a loaf of bread today!!! It took all day to rise but that was okay. The bread baking smelled almost like a cheese bread. But when I made David some sandwiches with it, it didn't taste like cheese bread. It was a beautiful loaf, if I do say so myself!!! The starter smells sort of sour, like a strong buttermilk smell. So far, I like the taste of it.

Tell me how to dry some for a back up starter if something awful happens to it..LOL

Deb

o

Spread some on plastic or parchment paper or something. It will dry up and then you can store it. It's kind of the way that they save commercial yeast in the packages - remember that almost all of the yeast cells in the package are dead.

I don't remember the exact difference between the rapid rise that came out about 50 years ago and the newer instant rise - if I'm not mistaken one of the main differences is that the newer one has more live yeast cells. As some cells die they entomb a live cell, so you have these little balls of dead cells surrounding a live one and consequently you have a greater proportion of viable cells when you start.

The labeling isn't consistent, which is a pain. The vendor can call it whatever he wants But the earlier yeast, whatever it's called, is dried at higher temperatures. That kills more of the exterior yeast cells. The newer one, instant or rapid or whatever, is dried at lower temperatures so more cells survive. So you can do the same. However, at some point that yeast will no longer be viable either - all yeast has an expiration date eventually.

Anyhow, good luck with that phase!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here