Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rozannadanna

My best buddy is gone

rozannadanna
17 years ago

Boo, my little Min-Pin escaped (I think with the little boy's next door help) on April 1 and has not been found. I have put up 100's of flyers and contacted every rescue facility and pound within 100 miles. No word. I just hope that someone took him in and loves him and the reason I haven't heard is because they love him so much or just don't know how to contact me. He had slipped out of his harness - left it laying in the living room - so he has no tags or anything else on. I miss him terribly. Actually missed having a dog around as an "alarm" that I have borrowed one of the family dogs several nights.

The latest night time visitor is Aspen, an almost white alaskan klee kai. She weighs about 25 lbs and is the sweetest little dog. I have her spoiled rotten already I fear. Went to the "dog store" to buy treats for my granddogs yesterday - the sons are emphatic that it must be all natural - I keep telling them that horse poop is organic and all natural but they don't want them eating that. Anyway I bought treats - peanutbutter flavored with apples and carrots in the mix - organic. After 24 hours with me and 3 treats - she is turning up her nose at the dog food - My son may never forgive me for spoiling her. The sons are going apes*^$ about me being here alone and are emphatic that I have another "alarm dog" immediately eventhough none of us have given up of finding my Boo. One son has a Shiba Imu (like a minature malmute and they are known as guard dogs) and has already made an appointment for this afternoon to go to a breeder he got his from to look at her puppies. I fear I may have to take one just to make them all happy. They won't put up with me borrowing their dogs forever. Everyone keep their fingers crossed and say a prayer that I eventually get Boo back or at least that he is safe and loved where he is.

Comments (31)

• carla17
    17 years ago

How sad, he loved you so much I know. I hope he is okay.

Carla

• sammy zone 7 Tulsa
    17 years ago

Oh, Rozanna, I do hope you find your dog.
    I think it is funny that you are borrowing and spoiling your granddogs.
    If you decide to get a new dog, show us a picture. I am not sure what a malmute looks like - especially a miniature one.

Sammy

• rozannadanna
    Original Author
    17 years ago

here is a link to the Shiba - my granddog that is a Shiba is a black and tan one - he is a corker and they want me to have a shiba - breed as brush hunting dogs and guard dogs in Japan although they only get to about 25 lbs. National Dog of Japan and they have been keeping records of them there since about 700 b.c. After WWII they almost became extinct

Here is a link that might be useful: shiba imu

• rozannadanna
    Original Author
    17 years ago

and this little girl looks just like Aspen - my current vistor.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:203562}}

• rozannadanna
    Original Author
    17 years ago

just finished cooking a pot of collard greens and she was looking at me accusingly when I was tasting them. Michael is going to kill me - I spooned some pot liquor on her dog food and she thinks she died and went to heaven.

• zeffyrose
    17 years ago

I hope you find your protector.

Florence

• melva
    17 years ago

I sure do hope that Boo makes it back to you! I agree with your Sons, you have to have a dog...

• rozannadanna
    Original Author
    17 years ago

The boys insisted I go see a Shiba Imu breeder. There were 3 little females about 9 weeks old. One was black and tan and the others were red - different litters. The black and tan one was wild. I picked them all up and loved on them all and all of a sudden the little black one took a running start and jumped right back into my arms and she is only 9 weeks old.

Her name is Jehana and is going to be a real test to prove to her I am the Alpha around here

{{gwi:203563}}

{{gwi:203564}}

She is a wild one and should top out at less than 25 lbs.

• Portiemom
    17 years ago

I am so sorry your dear Boo has disappeared. I would be hearbroken if my
    girl wandered off. For peace of mind, when you get your next furry friend,
    do have him/her microchipped. That way if it is lost, the owner can always be
    found.

I will hold good thoughts that Boo will find his way home.

Jean

• rozannadanna
    Original Author
    17 years ago

And it appears she is an early rises - even earlier than me which I thought was impossible. She had to go out at 2 so out we go. Now an hour later when I am fully awake and already drinking coffee she is ready for sleep. She is in my lap and extremely interested in the keyboard.

I am determined to do things right when I train her - she definately did not like sleeping in her kennel last night but I am just as stubborn as she is. While we were outside this morning for her to do her thing, the neighbor got home from work and she heard and she growled and gave out a little bark so maybe she is an alarm dog already. We shall see.

• melva
    17 years ago

You? an Alpha? That puppy, has your number! Good luck....

• rozannadanna
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Now Melva - you are giving away my secrets. Most people think I am THE ALPHA - don't tell her and maybe I can keep my bluff in on her

• carla17
    17 years ago

Melva, that is very funny but true!

• rozannadanna
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I told you guys not to tell her I was a softie - I AM going to be boss - wonder how many times I have to tell that to myself to convince me.

• orchids2000
    17 years ago

Rozanna, sorry about your missing buddy. You may want to check and see what chip scanners are used in your area and have your new puppy chipped, so if he escapes without tags and is found then when scanned they can find you. Food for thought.

• rozannadanna
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Orchid - I already have an appointment for Friday after this one - next set of shots and a chip - and I had actually told someone the day before Boo went missing that I was taking him the next week for a chip. Not taking any chances with Miss Wiggle But on this one

• harryshoe zone6 eastern Pennsylvania
    17 years ago

Rozanna,
    I am sorry to hear of this misfortune. You need you dog buddy to keep you sane. The new baby looks promising. However, I can tell by that look in her eyes that your best bet is to apply for Beta. Maybe she'll give you that much.

• rozannadanna
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I still seem to have her fooled into thinking I am boss but I took her to one of the sons last night - the son with the KleeKai and the Sheba - both grown. Jehanna promptly put them in their place and asserted her position as "top dog".

She appears to be extremely smart. Got her Sunday and she now sleeps through the night with no accidents in the kennell. She goes straight to the door after she eats so she can go out and do her business.

Worked her for the first time Monday night with the leash about 5 minutes and yesterday at noon for about 5 minutes. Then took her back to the office with me for the afternoon. She strutted into the office on her leash like a big girl and when we got to my office - promptly laid under my desk by my feet with her chew toy and didn't move from that spot till I told her too. She acted like it was old hat to her.

• autumnshowers
    17 years ago

Boo gone?? Oh no! I really hope he is found. He was the highlight of my visit last year. I am sorry for your loss.

Now the new puppy looks really cute. Did you say he would be 25lbs?

• rozannadanna
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Autumn - still looking for Boo. And the new puppy is a she. Males can get to 25 lbs but females are smaller and she is a small female - so unless she gets fat she probably will only be about 20 lbs.

• rosethyme
    17 years ago

Oh no, Rozanna, I sure hope you find Boo. Jehana is so cute! I've always admired that breed and never realized just how adorable the puppies are.

Karen

• rozannadanna
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Karen, I knew very little about the breed except for the fact that one of my sons has one and he is a great dog. One week with her and I am truly impressed. She had the housebreaking thing down by day 3. Took her 2 short lessons on the leash and she had that down. I made the mistake of buying a ball - about 30 seconds and she had that - should never have bought a ball for her - We went to the Ranch for Jeremiah's prom- 6 hour trip one way and she slept all the way. I had heard that they were extremely smart and very clean - I am convinced she is the smartest puppy I have ever seen. AND SHE STILL THINKS I AM THE BOSS

• amywmiles
    17 years ago

Hi Rozannadanna. I've never posted to the conversations before but I wanted to comment about your lost baby. Losing a pet in any way is one of the most devastating things that can happen to animal lovers. I think you did the right thing by quickly getting another sweetie. Dogs are such wonderful companions and hopefully Jehanna can take your grieving mind off of your lost baby. While I'm sure she will never replace your Boo, you will love her just as much. In the mean time, I'll pray your Boo comes home.
    Amy

• meredith_e Z7b, Piedmont of NC, 1000' elevation
    17 years ago

I'm so sorry about Boo. The little girl is a cutie! You're in for a riot with a primitive breed [my KiKi is a Jindo, related to Shibas; and GiGi is a Basenji] with the odd noises and climbing skills, etc. Such a hoot! KiKi still needs to 'bury' his food or he gets antsy [I let him use paper towels :] They actually want to roam more than modern dogs and tend to be very, very fast, so a lead is your best friend. GiGi broke hers once and it was a terrifying ordeal. I don't know if Shibas are extra-strong for their size like her breed, but a lot of people don't realize that primitives do things the 'old way,' LOL! The loyalty is flattering, and I'm sure y'all'll soon be absolutely the best pals!

• User
    17 years ago

Beautiful baby!

• rozannadanna
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Meridith - I am doing my research on the breed so I am aware of some of their more primitive traits. They were bred to flush big game (bears) out of the brush and for a 25 lb dog to do that - well they have to be fast and extremely agile - and Jehana appears to be both. She runs through the back yard in a blur with that curled tail straight out - her rudder. And we have a leash in the car and in the house because of their tendency to run. She is already starting to become a watch dog though, she growls if the neighbor's cat jumps on my front porch and makes a noise

16 years ago

LOL @ her rudder! Gigi's straightens too at full speed, now that I think about it... and her ears go back all aeronautically:) Basenjis hunted huge African prey, and I found a pic once of Jindos taking down an enormous boar. Neither one is a large breed!

My only problem came with intense food aggression when GiGi reached sexual maturity [well, that age]. We straightened her out, and I can get her to sit and calm down, but sometimes she has to put her paw over her eyes so she doesn't see anybody else to do it, lol. I call that her "Wild Woolies" and she knows she's got to tone it down when they bubble up, no matter her primitive roots.

I'm so excited for you, and please keep us updated on your cutie! She looks and sounds fascinating and a heart-stealer!

• rozannadanna
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Meridith - never buy a smart puppy a toy with a squeekie thing in it. She got a small tennis ball with 2 rope arms that have a hand on the both ends - one hand has a squeeker in it - she has figured out which hand and learned to squeek it - over and over and over and over and over - think I may have to perform surgery and remove the squeeker

16 years ago

LOL! Gigi likes to do the surgery herself and carry its "heart" around all proudly... still squeaking, of course :)

• michelle_co
    16 years ago

You can probably just poke a hole in the squeeky part with something long and sharp and it will be silenced. Damnsqueeky. ;-)

OTOH, do you watch the Dog Whisperer? After seeing how he handled it, we taught our squeeky-obsessed Aussie X to bring the squeeky toy, drop it, and leave it alone on command (basically, the human takes claims the toy). Eventually, she's learned to stop squeeking it on command which is really nice. This could be turned around into a very good learning exercise for your pup.

Cheers,
    Michelle

• robbiezone5
    16 years ago

sorry about your missing buddy.... but i think you made the right choice in selecting your new friend, by choosing the one that ran and jumped into your arms. you'll always be numero uno in her heart.

our affenpinscher once wandered off when we were visiting a friend's home. i told my boyfriend that it probably wasn't a good idea to leave our dog off the leash. but my bf was certain that our dog would never wander too far off. well, at some point i looked around and noticed that francis was missing. we called him, but he didn't appear. so then we all divided up and fanned through the neighborhood. eventually we found him, a few blocks away, and he was absolutely terrified by the experience of being lost for those few hours. after that, we're always very careful to be aware of where he is.

jehana is a real beauty!

keep well!
    --robbie--