Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I had a truly deep insight this morning

Posted by pete41 9ab FL. (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 9, 07 at 12:15

While wading down a marshy little creek,near us.Even though I knew the fishing would stink because of the temperature drop I went anyway to catch the low tide.Gotten up before five,had some oatmeal and headed out.A couple of hours later,without a strike and it was starting to drizzle.A wet wind had been blowing and I was chilled to my scrawny bones[lost thirty pounds,down to 155].
Thats when I realized what the true secret of happiness is > a cup of coffee
two doughnuts and
a cigarette.
Fotunately by the time I got back to the truck and driven where such pleasures were to be found,I lost my nerve.Went home and had a couple of dietary cookies instead.
I remember when coffee was 5cents,donuts 60 cents a dozen and cigarettes 17 a pack.Now I would have had to pay $5.30.
Speaking of cigarettes-yesterday morning as I was coming home from my Sunday morning stroll I passed this really large Baptist church and school.Huge easter crowd.Overflowing parking lot.Behind a hedge I saw two boys and a girl.All about sixteen and all dressed in their easter best clothes.They were up to something sneaky,trying to stay out of sight.Had to laugh when I saw they were smoking a cigarette.Times have sure changed.50 yrs ago when I was their age I got a carton of cigarettes as part of my allowance.
I wanted to tell they their really isn't anything sexy or exciting about stinking like an ashtray or always wanting a smoke but I knew they would put me down as a silly old fool who doesn't understand.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I had a truly deep insight this morning

Myself, I would have gone for the coffee, doughnut, and cigarette--three of my favorite weaknesses! What is that old saying about everything I love is either immoral, illegal, or fattening. Seems like it some days.

Really impressed with your self-control, Pete. If that's what you want, go for it!

As for the teenagers, things are still the same. The more adults say "no," the more curious teenagers are to try it out.

Kate

o

I think they are $8 a pack here! Now a greasy greasy donut does sound wonerful wonerful but the acid reflux afterwards would be unreal. I did buy 5 lbs of whole bean Espresso Saturday and I do like to have my 1 teaspoon of cherry preserves on 15 grain bread with it. Ho Hum!
Every now and the the thought of a cigarette pops up as a reasonable desire and somtimes it lasts even after sucking on the asthma inhaler.

o

Dunkin Donuts combo #1: large coffee light and sweet, 1 whole wheat (HAH!) and 1 sour cream donut. On really, really bad days sub. 1 glazed and 1 Boston creme donut. I don't smoke, so that one is lost on me, I think they are vlost to $8/pack here too, you might find some of the "off brands" for $6.

o

Pete,
155 lbs. !

Heck, my head weighs more than that.

I'm like Joe. Doughnuts are easy to resist when the memory of that last bout of severe heartburn still lingers. No smokes here, either.

But, boy 'o boy, that first beer in the morning puts a smile on old Harry's face. I try to wait until at least 8:00. I don't want people to think I have a problem...

o

LOL at Harry! I'm with you buddy! MMMMM< beer and doughnuts (cue Homer Simpson voice) ... actually, I try to avoid doughnuts cus they are too yummy - can't stop with just one! My favorite Dunkin' is the chocolate one, and for glazed, nothing beats a Krispy Kreme.... no ciggies here, that is one vice I never picke dup.

o

beer and donuts................... ullllgh??????????
Just had my 2 slices of bread and jam it's all over till tomorrow

o

Well I want a cigarette every moment of every day. It's been seven years since the last one, so its not going to happen.
My morning ritual- 1 cup of fresh brewed coffee, 1 glass of very cold Clamato,
1 slice of toasted, buttered bakery rye. Yum.
Dont mess with my Clamato addiction!

o

Well I would take the donuts and coffee...but I also wouldnt mind one of those earthmoving kisses either....you know...the kind you got when you were young and it was all new... ....the ones that left your eyes closed and your breathing faint....

ahhhh yes....I will take one of those....

:o)

Ronda

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here