Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pete41_gw

I had a truly deep insight this morning

pete41
16 years ago

While wading down a marshy little creek,near us.Even though I knew the fishing would stink because of the temperature drop I went anyway to catch the low tide.Gotten up before five,had some oatmeal and headed out.A couple of hours later,without a strike and it was starting to drizzle.A wet wind had been blowing and I was chilled to my scrawny bones[lost thirty pounds,down to 155].

Thats when I realized what the true secret of happiness is > a cup of coffee

two doughnuts and

a cigarette.

Fotunately by the time I got back to the truck and driven where such pleasures were to be found,I lost my nerve.Went home and had a couple of dietary cookies instead.

I remember when coffee was 5cents,donuts 60 cents a dozen and cigarettes 17 a pack.Now I would have had to pay $5.30.

Speaking of cigarettes-yesterday morning as I was coming home from my Sunday morning stroll I passed this really large Baptist church and school.Huge easter crowd.Overflowing parking lot.Behind a hedge I saw two boys and a girl.All about sixteen and all dressed in their easter best clothes.They were up to something sneaky,trying to stay out of sight.Had to laugh when I saw they were smoking a cigarette.Times have sure changed.50 yrs ago when I was their age I got a carton of cigarettes as part of my allowance.

I wanted to tell they their really isn't anything sexy or exciting about stinking like an ashtray or always wanting a smoke but I knew they would put me down as a silly old fool who doesn't understand.

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Outdoor Spaces
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Experienced Full Service Landscape Design Firm Serving Loudoun County