Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
michelle_co_gw

skin care for gardeners?

michelle_co
17 years ago

Hi,

It's only April and my hands are already feeling like old leather gloves. They are taking a beating from working in the garden, from the arid climate here, and from washing a hundred times a day (taking care of my grandmother's medical problems).

What can I do to help them? I wear garden gloves outside whenever possible, and medical gloves to reduce some of the handwashing.

Are there any extremely effective solutions?

Thanks!

Michelle

Comments (12)

• Krista_5NY
    17 years ago

Crabtree & Evelyn make an outstanding hand cream, best I've found. It has a light, slightly sweet herby scent.

It's got shea butter and beeswax I think for a rich and soothing feel.

It comes in three different sizes, an 8 ounce pump, and also in 3.4 ounce tube and 1.7 ounce tube.

I notice from the website they've added some new hand products to their collection, including a nail cream.

Here is a link that might be useful: Gardener's Hand Car

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    17 years ago

You might try AmLactin 12% Moisturizing Cream (they make a less potent lotion too, you'll want the cream). Made by Upsher-Smith, has lactic acid which is a natural skin humectant. My doctors nurse suggested it; I find it at an old fashioned family owned Rexall. About $12. I hate a greasy feel or perfume on my hands, this doesn't have that.

If you are desperate and want almost overnight healing when they get so dry they hurt, buy a pair of cotton gloves and slather on Neosporin ointment, a good tablespoon or more (now you want the ointment and not the cream:)) at bedtime. Hopefully you are better behaved and do not pull off the gloves in your sleep, oiling up your expensive sheets, like I do....

• carla17
    17 years ago

I have the Crabtree and Evelyn but if you want something extra soothing and healing try Aquapor ointment. It's very rich and like a once per week treatment. You can use it whenever you want though. I'm a hand cream collector, lol.
    Aveda makes a nice smooth one too. Yes in cotton gloves.

Carla

• zeffyrose
    17 years ago

my DH uses a product called "Nothing like it"--it was formerly called 'Hoof Hoof Horray"
    1-800-288-4325------

DH says it works better than anything he has ever tried.

Florence

• michelle_co
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks -

I got some cotton spa gloves and liked wearing them last night. My hands get cold at night, and I am always trying to tuck them under the blankets. :-) I am going to try the thin cotton gloves under my work gloves.

I have amlactin, and aquaphor. Also have a hoof product - Hoof Alive that I forgot about until Florence mentioned it - it works really well on cracks. Will have to try some of the others (also a hand cream collector). Picked up a shea butter and mango cream yesterday, and dreamed of mangos all night. Hey, aromatherapy to go with hand therapy!

It seems like neosporin will be a good thing to do as well, even A & D might help. Most of my fingers either have cracks starting from dry skin or from having to dig out a thorn.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions!

Michelle

• dove_song
    17 years ago

Dear Michelle,

Olive Oil.
    Tuck it under your cotton gloves...

All the best, :-D

Debbie/Dove

• janen
    17 years ago

Try Aspercreme. Believe me, it works better than ANYTHING I've ever tried - and I've tried 'em all !!!. The minute you rub it in, your hands (and feet) feel instantly better. I use it all the time. You can get it in any drugstore.

Here is a link that might be useful: Aspercreme

• sam0738
    17 years ago

Burts bees has got a bunch of things for the hands.
    They have the shea butter garden hand repair just like a lot of places. I use the Garden Hand salve the defender. And I put a link to my favorite one the Bees wax Almond milk.

Here is a link that might be useful: Beeswax hand creme Almond Milk Aloe vitamin E

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    17 years ago

The better the garden looks, the worse I look!

• gduke2
    14 years ago

The best stuff I have had for cracked, chapped and/or rough hands is lanolin. A friend gave me a 1lb tub of it over 20 years ago and it is still going strong. It stinks. Use latex gloves. Rub into your hands before bed and pull on gloves. Within a day or so of doing this your cracks will be healed and skin smooth.

Bag Balm works pretty well also and is a lot cheaper than the apothecary balms. Does not smell bad. Another product is Udder Cream. These are available at your farm supply or co-op.

• AlbertJohnSmith
    9 years ago

This is indeed a helpful thread for all gardeners. Using organic products is the best way to keep your skin fresh and shining.

• Nadin
    9 years ago

Toi have no skin problems, I have used pure chimp super body cream which is 100% natural.